snake around egg

hyatt

I just got my thoth deck and i do not have a book yet. i know i need one but i don't know which one to start out with. but in a couple of cards there is a snake wrapped around an egg. what does that symbolize?

Zephyros

The egg symblizes the Universe, and the snake is the symbol of life, especially when it is biting its tail, and then it also the symbol of eternity. This can be seen in The Hermit, who is holding the sun in his hand and contemplating the egg with the snake wrapped around it

Centaur

hyatt said:
I just got my thoth deck and i do not have a book yet. i know i need one but i don't know which one to start out with. but in a couple of cards there is a snake wrapped around an egg. what does that symbolize?

Hi Hyatt,

Just a book recommendation. I would recommend that you start out with Lon Milo Duquettes, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot.

You can read an old thread on this particular book, here.

Great book. I really enjoyed it. :)

jog1118

its what they call the

Orphic Egg: The Orphic egg, and the spermatozoa both represent fertility and creation. The spermatozoa is symbolic of birth in the outer world; the Orphic egg symbolizes spiritual rebirth.

(see http://www.tryskelion.com/preface.htm)

:smoker: