BindRunes

Kiama

Hi Guys!

Another really interesting use of Runes, and one which is fairly common nowadays aswell as in the old Norse Sagas is the making and using of BindRunes.

The name for these things says it all: It is a combination of different runes, bound together so that they bring a special gift to the user of the BindRune, eg- Fertility, Good luck, Happy home, etc. One of the most common bindrunes found was on a Norse amulet, which read 'Gibu Auja', (I give good luck) and and a bindrune on it that looked like a mixture of Gibu/Gefo, and Feoh.

Traditionally, there are 10 types of Runes. Depending on what you want your bindrune to give you, you could choose the Runes in it based on the type of Runes... (I'm not very eloquent tonight, bear with me!)

Alerunes Protection on both the physical and spiritual realm. Constraining evil spirits and warding off harm. Ansuz, Laguz, Uruz, sometimes Neid.

Hugrunes Mind, memory, concentration, inspiration, guidance, philosophy. Kenaz, Algiz, Mannaz, Ansuz

Biargrunes Birch, babies, new beginnings. Dagaz, Berkana

Brunrunes Weather magick, sailing, farming, hunting. Hagallaz, Laguz, Isa

Limrunes Healing. Othala, Auroch, Kenaz, Sigel

Malrunes Enhance mental ability, speech, poetry, communication. Ansuz, Kenaz

Ramrunes Strength, power. Auroch, Feoh, Hagallaz, Isa, Tir

Swartrunes Used by Norse to speak to the dead. Or so its says in the Havamal. Unfortunately, I don't know which Runes go with this category.

Trollrunes Divination, the Otherworld, prophecy. Peorth, Wyrd (If you use this one), Ansuz.

Sigrunes Success, victory. Sigel, tir

These categories do not accomodate for all the Runes however, and you will notice that some are used more than others. This is because all this info is from the Havamal and other such texts, so we have only what is written down in them, not the full extensive knowledge of what the Norse peoples know back then. So, you can use them as a rough guideline for working with Runes in magick and bindrunes.

Anyway, onto creating Bindrunes...

A bindrune consists usually of two or morerunes meshed together and sharing one stem. They should mesh togther in such a way that they form whole new symbol. You can get creative here, and do whatever you like! Another cool thing to remember is that sometimes with bindrunes, the actual word created by the first letter of each Rune usedcan be more symbolic than the symbol itself. It was common for Norse people to put together Wunjo, Othala, and Dagaz to create WOD, short for Woden/Odin, and thus call upon hisdivine inspiration through that bindrune. You really can get creative whilst trying out bindrunes. Starting out with your name is a good way to start... See if you can get your initials into a harmonious whole!

Kiama

the hermit

kiama--
I notice in your post you say "Traditionally, there are 10 types of Runes" but in "Trollrunes" you mention Wyrd... which isn't a "traditional" rune. So as a newly practicing runite I'm a bit confused.

Are all of these "traditional" and just of late some folks add the Wyrd to the Trollrune or are these "new" traditional as opposed to ancient germanic traditional?

Kiama

the hermit said:
Are all of these "traditional" and just of late some folks add the Wyrd to the Trollrune or are these "new" traditional as opposed to ancient germanic traditional?

Hi Hermit! (Have a biscuit :p)

Whilst th 10 types are listed in the Norse texts, some of them do not list any Runes to go ith it. That s where modern minds set in, including mine, and I thought that for those who use the Wyrd Rune (I don't) it would be useful to include it there, cuz it fits in quite well. Like I said, they are only basic guidelines for what Runes go where, so you can be inventive and fit any Runes in where you think thy fit best.

Some people may not see some of the Runes which are above called Hugrunes as having th poperties of mind and thinking, such as the Rune Mannaz. I certainly don't, so for me, I wouldn't use that one as a Hugrune, but use it as something else.

Kiama

PS- Thanks Phoenix for the website! I was hoping I would find some pics of bindrunes somewhere so everybody knew what I was babbling on about! :*

runehunt

Trollrune:

Trollruns, How would you use them in divination? and what would the meaning be for Wyrd in this application? If there were a wyrd rune. I have never used trollrunes for divination. just wonted to know. **runehunt**

Murphy

Thankyou

Kiama,

BindRudes, what a nice idea for a gift.

Kiama

Re: Trollrune:

runehunt said:
Trollruns, How would you use them in divination? and what would the meaning be for Wyrd in this application? If there were a wyrd rune. I have never used trollrunes for divination. just wonted to know. **runehunt**

nind that to meditate on the Runes wich are in each category when undertaking the thing that category is 'reponsibe' for hlps. Not only do I focus my mind on my action, but I come to a closer understanding of that Rues aswell. It was well-known for the Norse to carve the Runes on things. For instance, Brunrunes were carved on ship masts.

Kiama

blue_fusion

hmmm. i'm really interested to know which runes fall under swartrunes... :)

tigerlily

Is it ok to turn a rune to create a symmetrical "sigil"? (for example, thurisaz' "thorn" facing left instead of right ... <| like this) or would this change the effect of the rune? I have a bindrune which is kinda "heavy" on the right side and it just looks and feels imbalanced that way...

Umbrae

Sigil’s do not have to be symmetrical.

Turning a rune? Thurisaz always ‘points’ towards the right – unless you are seeking a merkstave meaning.