The Moon: Association with Pisces?

ravenest

Ive been in a full eclipse, it was like the Moon card .... eerie !

The Moon CAN obscure the Sun . And the unconscious can obscure the consciousness - in sleep and dreams and in ' madness' .

ravenest

According to The Picatrix, The Moon's quality and influence changes depending on what phase she is in, and also her elongation from the Sun.

yes, the Moon's phases do indicate a change in its quality. But this is to do with the angular relationship between Earth Sun Moon, not the phased image of the Moon some how affecting us . Like 1/2 Moon waxing rays are different from half moon waning rays ( or something ) ? ? ?

I think people have known moon phases indicate energy change since there were people . And they are still observing it today ... dont need no picatrix for that do we ?

Did you see my link on moon cycles ... there are many significant ones that effect us and nature .

The 6 main ones are

Full-New Moon 29.5 days
Moon opposite Saturn 27.3 days
Ascending-Descending Moon 27.3 days
Moon Nodes 27.2 days
Perigee-Apogee 27.5 days
Moon in Zodiac Constellations 27.3 days

What is Moon's elongation from the Sun ? ? :confused:

Thats got me stumped ! Unless you mean Perigee-Apogee cycle ? That makes the Moon closer and further from the Earth due to its elliptical orbit. Not to the Sun.

If you think a bit .... the earth goes around the Sun and the Moon goes around the Earth, each cycle of Moon PHASES the Moon is further from the Sun (full Moon) and then back closer again (no Moon).... so the moon going closer and further from the sun, is actually the phase cycle.

What is this 'Moon's elongation from the Sun' you mentioned ?

foolMoon

What is Moon's elongation from the Sun ? ? :confused:

Thats got me stumped ! Unless you mean Perigee-Apogee cycle ? That makes the Moon closer and further from the Earth due to its elliptical orbit. Not to the Sun.

If you think a bit .... the earth goes around the Sun and the Moon goes around the Earth, each cycle of Moon PHASES the Moon is further from the Sun (full Moon) and then back closer again (no Moon).... so the moon going closer and further from the sun, is actually the phase cycle.

What is this 'Moon's elongation from the Sun' you mentioned ?

You really need to read the Chapter Three of The Picatrix.

Picatrix said:
The first of her qualities is her elongation from the Sun, that is the period from the time she separates from conjunction with the Sun until her first square with the Sun. During this time her power increases moisture and warmth, but she affects moisture more than warmth. ..... bla bla

Remember the Picatrix had been written well before Newton / Galileo time.

ravenest

Yes, I realise it was before modern cosmology developed. Is been some time since I did read it and I dont have a copy anymore.

Looks like what I said - the Phases. From conjunction to first square is first quarter - waxing.

Bring warmth ? Perhaps compared to 'no Moon' . Bring moisture ? Well, more than no Moon but , also well known (empirically ) ... 'full Moon brings rain' .... the furthest 'elongation' .

I will have to re-read it, thanks for the reference.

foolMoon

You are welcome. The chapter 3 is about 15 pages long, and has much detail on the topic. I just picked up a copy from the local 2nd hand book shop. A great classic for Astrological Magick stuff.

ravenest

- Just scored a free download of it :)

Looks like its in Bk 2 . But the version I have does not use the term ' the Moon's elongation from the Sun'. That's a strange term. Although I could figure out what it meant.

My version says it a bit clearer. ' the Moon moves away from and separates from the Sun and reaches the lunar quarter.' That is , what we would say nowadays - new Moon to first quarter.

ravenest

You are welcome. The chapter 3 is about 15 pages long, and has much detail on the topic. I just picked up a copy from the local 2nd hand book shop. A great classic for Astrological Magick stuff.

Hey ! You pulled 'the wool' over my eyes back there !

One doesnt need to " Remember the Picatrix had been written well before Newton / Galileo time ".

The Moon still goes around the Earth inside the (apparent ) orbit of the Sun, so the dynamics are the same before and after Newton / Galileo.

Ya got me with that one !

foolMoon

Hey ! You pulled 'the wool' over my eyes back there !

One doesnt need to " Remember the Picatrix had been written well before Newton / Galileo time ".

The Moon still goes around the Earth inside the (apparent ) orbit of the Sun, so the dynamics are the same before and after Newton / Galileo.

Ya got me with that one !

No probs mate. From your question, I thought you were wondering how the Moon elongates to the Sun.

BTW, the translator says, The Picatrix influenced not just Agrippa and the GD, but William Lilly too.

Snaut

Nice discussion.
One questions remains for me, though: What's up with the two towers?