The single Tarot card

ShekinahMoon

I was thinking this morning about something I read online concerning how police officers can identify an occult crime. And one of the suggestions listed was if there was a Tarot card left at the scene. Occult crimes concern me (well all crimes do) but occult crimes even more because of how these crimes give occultism a very horrible bad rap and a pathetic misrepresentation. But that's a soapbox for another day. :joke:

What bother's me about this idea that a Tarot card left at a scene is that people who are true to Tarot I can't see taking a card out of a deck and then leaving it anywhere and to then have a deck missing a card. :bugeyed:

Is there any sane reason someone would sacrifice a card out of their deck? (Sane meaning non-criminal reason).

PlatinumDove

If you remember the Beltway Sniper murders a few years back, there was a crime scene where they left the Death card behind (maybe the second crime scene?). It wasn't considered an occult crime, just a message left by the snipers.

I don't think any Tarot reader would take/destroy/leave behind a card out of their deck, especially not if they're using the deck to make money through readings for the public.

sharpchick

My gut reaction to what you wrote was that a person who would do that has no connection to tarot at all, and just wants law enforcement to think this is an "occult" crime.

ShekinahMoon

sharpchick said:
My gut reaction to what you wrote was that a person who would do that has no connection to tarot at all, and just wants law enforcement to think this is an "occult" crime.

That's my main thought as well. So I wonder why law enforcement in this day and age still see the leaving of a Tarot card as a "clue" to label it an occult crime. It just furthers the misinformed image that occultism in general and Tarot in particular are associated with diabolical natured activities. In the end I guess the whole point of the perp is to prey on people's fears of what they do not know. Getting educated about something is the best way to eradicate the fear factor. I know there is one cop who has dedicated himself to teaching police officers the facts verses the fears. I’ve read about him on the net.

Has anybody ever taught a Tarot education class geared not so much to those who want to learn Tarot but to those who want to understand what Tarot is and what it is not? More like a seminar on Tarot verses a class.

PlatinumDove

ShekinahMoon said:
Has anybody ever taught a Tarot education class geared not so much to those who want to learn Tarot but to those who want to understand what Tarot is and what it is not? More like a seminar on Tarot verses a class.

I didn't do that, but I did a speech on what Wicca was, versus what it wasn't. Ended up blowing the class away, I was the star of the class. :D I would love to see someone do that with Tarot.

ShekinahMoon

PlatinumDove said:
I didn't do that, but I did a speech on what Wicca was, versus what it wasn't. Ended up blowing the class away, I was the star of the class. :D I would love to see someone do that with Tarot.

That would be ideal. I was reminded of this thread based on an article I was reading in my Llewellyn's 2006 Tarot Reader. The author of an article was pointing out different ways to experience Tarot. One of the ways mentioned was leaving a single Tarot card in different places for others in your city to find which would either enlighten them or basically freak them out. I think the author was going for the idea of putting an energy jolt into the day. Places like a bus stop or leave a card in a library book. So I brought to mind a visual of people finding Tarot cards inside a checked out library book or on a sink in a bathroom or on a seat in a dressing room I just cracked up laughing. That's just mean :joke: But for $20 the person leaving the cards get 78 chances to create a memorable moment for 78 different people. If only one could be around when those cards are discovered. Either someone will feel like a gift of kindness was left for them or they will spend the rest of the day thinking the mark of the beast was left for them. The question is does anyone have the nerve to leave the Death card somewhere. Oh dear. That would screw up someone's head for a day or longer.

Crystelle

Ah yes but it's the ones that would have fear they would be the first to research it and in a way you will have changed their perspective forever -- making them look into something they might have never approached otherwise. In that case the Death card would not only be amusing, it would be appropriate!

Kind of like throwing someone in a pool to teach them how to swim!

LOL
Crystelle

thinbuddha

ShekinahMoon said:
That's my main thought as well. So I wonder why law enforcement in this day and age still see the leaving of a Tarot card as a "clue" to label it an occult crime.

Well, this is really a representation of a larger problem than just bad PR for tarot. The media and police go way out of their way to demonize certain things- a short list includes video games, music, movies & tv, illegal drugs, and- of course- "occult".

There is almost never mention of the bad parenting of the kids who killed someone (it's always "marijuana was found in his locker" or "he began to play with Ouija boards and listen to heavy metal music when he was in High School"). But really- if they were good parents' the kid would never play with a Ouija board, right?

Yeah- basically, you have to take the media for what it is: lies framed with truth to make it look real.

ShekinahMoon

Crystelle said:
Ah yes but it's the ones that would have fear they would be the first to research it and in a way you will have changed their perspective forever -- making them look into something they might have never approached otherwise. In that case the Death card would not only be amusing, it would be appropriate!

Kind of like throwing someone in a pool to teach them how to swim!

LOL
Crystelle

Funny.

I do agree people will do their research. Truth is one never knows when a single act can change someone's perspective and open up their minds. The card may be just the affirmation they needed for the moment or it will shake them to wake them.

Throwing someone in a pool who can't swim is just mean :joke:

ShekinahMoon

thinbuddha said:
Well, this is really a representation of a larger problem than just bad PR for tarot. The media and police go way out of their way to demonize certain things- a short list includes video games, music, movies & tv, illegal drugs, and- of course- "occult".

There is almost never mention of the bad parenting of the kids who killed someone (it's always "marijuana was found in his locker" or "he began to play with Ouija boards and listen to heavy metal music when he was in High School"). But really- if they were good parents' the kid would never play with a Ouija board, right?

Yeah- basically, you have to take the media for what it is: lies framed with truth to make it look real.

I have noticed lately that when the media talks about the children who have killed recently (like the 18 year old who just killed his 14 year old girlfriend's parents or the teen who killed the assistant principal last week) they always mention the kid liked to wear black and had a goth look. Like Goth and murder go hand in hand *spare me*. It's a media slant.