Liber lll vel Jugorum

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
:bugeyed: I can't help thinking that might be an animal I don't want to invite into my life
Invite in? It's already there. You just haven't realised it yet. ;)

Grigori

thorhammer said:
OCD? I don't getcha . . .

I crossed my legs twice, so washing the dishes twice. Figure there is no point saving up since for tomorrows dishes, since its doubtful I'll not slip up again tomorrow :D

Aeon418 said:
Washing the dishes? Hmmm.... sorry Similia, but that sounds a bit wishy washy to me.

Is that supposed to be a pun ;)

Aeon418 said:
Even though the method of Liber Jugorum seems very crude, it's purpose is to set up a automatic vigilance reflex through the immediate application of a short sharp shock. (Try saying that fast. :laugh:) You're trying to forge a link in your mind between a certain action and it's consequences. But it's the immediacy of the punishment that forges this link.

Really, shock needed? I've seen some folks suggest that its sufficient to carry around a notepad and just mark how many times you slip up. Though I scan see that would be more of a testing tool than a teaching one, I thoughy adding some chores would be a good deterrent. On the plus side, I could change over the rubberband method now, and since I don't have any bands right now, that means no pain and no dishes :D BARGAIN!! :laugh:

Aeon418 said:
If want some inspiration try reading Achads diary, Liber 165. He starts experimenting with Jugorum on January the 7th.
http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/libers/Liber165.pdf

I have been reading this, its where I got the idea from. I picked up a copy of Gems from the Equinox recently and am getting some inspiration from it.

Aeon418

similia said:
I've seen some folks suggest that its sufficient to carry around a notepad and just mark how many times you slip up.
I'm speechless.

What about you Aleister?
But that is always the way; the love of besting our dearest friends in a bargain is native to us: and so, even in religion, when we are dealing with our own souls, we try to cheat.

Always Wondering

I have a small collection of rubber bands, my favorite is one that matches my skin tone and doesn't draw alot of unwanted attention at work. I was working with Ox, a particularly stubborn and negative thought that sometimes transmutes to a Unicorn.
However, when I wasn't looking the thing snuck off my wrist and hid itself in a drawer. ;) The record of progress went first as I was on vacation. I just put it on again but suspect I will be wearing it for more than a week.

I had thought I might have started with a particularly difficult challenge but now that you mention the leg crossing I think I might have it easy. Boy did my mother ever ingrain that in my head. It was my responsibility as a "lady" to keep my legs closed tight. :confused:
No wonder I am a bundle of contridiction. I may do well to enlarge my collection. :laugh:

AW

Grigori

OK I still have no rubber band, but I do have this nifty little contraption that delivers an electric shock so I'll carry that around with me.

I've realized I can't start washing dishes anyway, as it seems when I come home and wash the dishes without apparent reason or cause, the law of karma rocks the universe and sends me rewards for the effort. This cycle may encourage transgressions rather than help diminish them so is probably a stratagem best avoided. I have now washed my last dish for 2009 :laugh: (And shocked myself twice today already, damn you laptop!)

ravenest

similia said:
I'm not so keen on the bloodshed side of things so am taking out an "easier" route, that is actually in ways more abhorrent to me. Now everyone please don't laugh, but I am going to "WASH THE DISHES!!" This doesn't sound like much of a punishment, folks do this everyday, but not me :D I NEVER do it. I know, I'm a bad man, but I hate it. I do the bathroom, the garden, the dogs, the vacuuming, but never the dishes. I can assure you even one attempt at this revolting chore will be a shock to my system :laugh:
LOL

Ha har! Nice try buddy. It dont quiet work like that! Put the ring on your left finger and become the guy that LOVES to wash the dishes, that is ecstatic with washing the dishes . . . and each time you are not .... chop! :laugh:

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Even though the method of Liber Jugorum seems very crude, it's purpose is to set up a automatic vigilance reflex through the immediate application of a short sharp shock. (Try saying that fast. :laugh:) You're trying to forge a link in your mind between a certain action and it's consequences. But it's the immediacy of the punishment that forges this link. Unless you've figured out a way to walk around all day with a kitchen sink hanging from your neck, I don't see how you can apply an instant correction.

Yep. That's how I see it. One has to ingrain it into the psyche. I kept exposing my left arm when I did a right one handed sword thrust after evading a head strike, this leaves the arm to be cut (even if the other 'dies' and their sword gets you on the way down) Instructor tried all sorts of things, "Slap your left hip so you know its out of the way when you attack." This, that, .... nup. 'Just wack it if I leave it there' I suggested. 3 or 4 wacks and problem solved.

If our bad habits are ingrained in our deep levels then that's where we need to aggress them. (I meant to say assess them but ... :laugh:

However ... if S wanted to punish himself by doing MY dishes ....

Grigori

ravenest said:
Ha har! Nice try buddy. It dont quiet work like that! Put the ring on your left finger and become the guy that LOVES to wash the dishes, that is ecstatic with washing the dishes . . . and each time you are not .... chop! :laugh:

Thanks for your help :D

thorhammer

I lost count.

Something above fifteen, and it's only 4.30pm. I've got a night at a friend's house to negotiate yet, so it's not like I can just shut up, either. I'm feeling very downcast and discouraged, and angry at myself, and sort of . . . stretched out into a hard, thin wire, like metal drawn out to its ductile limit, brittle and about to break.

My wrist hurts and the skin is raised, red and v. swollen. I feel . . . stopped up. Suppressed. Is this a good idea? I feel like all that's keeping me with this is my stubbornness.

EPIC fail. But not, I will say, unmitigated. To find a couple of positives amongst the wreckage, I have learnt to anticipate my wording, a little, and I noticed that although I was in my car all day listening to music (when I sing loudly and out of key :D) I didn't sing, in case I slipped. Also, in the same situation, I tend to talk to myself a great deal . . . inner dialogue comes out loud. But not today, at least not as much as usual.

You'd better be appreciating this companionship thing, G. ;)

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
You'd better be appreciating this companionship thing, G. ;)

I always do appreciate your companionship :) I'm up to 6 today, though I suspect there were more that I didn't even notice I did. I suspect my numbers will skyrocket when I move onto the unicorn.