Abrahadabra-Understanding Aleister Crowleys Thelemic Magick?

defile959

Here are my thoughts on the book. It is a good read and a solid basis to begin further studies of Thelemic magick. I may have heard the same interview as you. Orpheus does write in a fashion that makes it easier for a beginner to get started in this often-confusing system. My only caveat would be this - if you have spent any substantial amount of time practicing Thelemic magick, there may not be much here that you do not already know. That being said, I would fully endorse this book for someone just starting on the path, or for someone interested in and wanting to learn more about Thelema. In fact, this book and Lon DuQuette's "The Magick of Aleister Crowley" provide a pretty solid foundation for someone interested in exploring this deep (and deeply rewarding) system.

Aeon418

I agree with everything that defile959 has just said. Caveat included. ;)

Orpheus' book is a good foundation builder that I would happily recommend to a complete n00b. His chatty, conversational style is easy to digest and is slanted more towards practice than theory. But would I recommend it to you? I'm not sure.

While I am sure you will find Abrahadabra inspiratinal, I have a horrible feeling that you might find some of the content a little bit light weight. But then again it might be the perfect spring board for you. I just don't know what you are expecting from this book.

Personally I think Abrahadabra was/is an entertaining read. While it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, I enjoyed Orpheus' experimental "have a go" style. On finishing it I thought to myself, "I wish this book had been around when I got started". ;)

Grigori

Thanks so much defile959 and Aeon. I was looking for a book like this for a friend of mine who knows nothing about Thelema, but developed in interest recently when they found some things in it that resonated with their Buddhist belief's. I thought the DuQuette book may not be quite right for them, and it seems this one may be a the best one. But I might just grab a copy for myself to read as well, I still have one spare shelf on my bookcase to fill ;)

thorhammer

You've both sold me :) I'll be getting myself a copy of that sucker . . . thankyou all, especially similia for starting the thread :)

\m/ Kat

defile959

Looks like we're in full-on "Agree" mode. How often does *that* happen on the Internet? :)

To echo previous sentiments, this book will definitely be an enjoyable read for anyone interested in the subject. Depending upon your previous experience, you may get more or less "new stuff" out of it, but it's a good read, and a great book to lend to those newly interested in the subject. I can't wait to see what Orpheus publishes next. I've really enjoyed his writing and his interviews.

thorhammer

defile959 said:
Looks like we're in full-on "Agree" mode. How often does *that* happen on the Internet? :)
LOL More to the point, how often does that happen in the Thoth sub-forum??? :laugh: This has to be the most cantankerous sub-group within AT, by a long shot! :)

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
cantankerous

I think the word you were looking for was "passionate". And we agree constantly here, its just more attention grabbing when we don't as some folks are scholarly enough to contest with essays, rather than a simple "Stuff you" :p

Now back to the topic at hand *Coughs*

PS for folks interested in the podcast, search on iTunes for "Thelema Now". There's not a lot of them, but they'll all been really excellent quality so far and very interesting listening while driving to and from :)