Can/Do Pro's ever charge for ONE-card Readings?

starrystarrynight

Umbrae said:
Pro's MUST use spreads with 47 cards in the shape of the Mystical Hoo-Ha.
Oh, that''s what I've been doing wrong!

Silverlyn said:
I'm seriously thinking of doing this, as I seem to still do my best work with using only ONE card Readings! (I've been told by several that I give them quite a lot of information and they have (so far) walked away entirely satisfied with their Readings done this way).

Have any of you Pro's ever done this?

If so, what would be an ideal charge (U.S. Dollars) for doing one card readings?
To be honest with you, I don't do one-card spreads (except sometimes for myself.) That's because, FOR ME, I like to see the interaction between cards. In fact, I tend to read more between the lines than I do on the lines. :)

That said, I have known readers who give bangin' one-card readings...my point being that I don't care how many cards you draw, if you can give a good reading, you can give a good reading. The value, I think, is in the reading--not in the number of cards you draw to give that good reading. And a good reading (regardless of how many cards are involved) is worth whatever you feel it is worth--or what the going rate is in your vicinity.

Anyhow, that's how I look at it.

Silverlyn

Thanks for all the great replies, everyone! Actually there are times I do well with two-cards, and even three....so am just gonna keep practicing, and go from there!

And like many of you said: It's the actual message from the Reading that matters and the satisfaction of the client, so I'm gonna focus on that, more than anything!

My Pocket Universal Waite is still the favorite Deck, and giving darn, accurate Readings on myself and anyone I'm doing them for! :)

Silverlyn

Nevada

starrystarrynight said:
I like to see the interaction between cards. In fact, I tend to read more between the lines than I do on the lines.
I do too, normally, but there are some decks that I could go on and on about with just one card. Margarete Petersen comes to mind....

For me I think it might depend on the Tarot deck, but then I haven't experimented as much as I could with one-card readings. :)

tartanwolf

I dont offer one card readings, really because I find that often it just doesnt go deep enough into the situation for the client. The smallest amount of cards I read and charge for is a three card reading. If I DID offer one card readings, I would probably charge a pound for it...but I dont :)

Grizabella

I think the final proof will be when you try selling the readings. Then you'll find out whether people will pay for one-card readings and once they do, if they'll be satisfied with their reading and give you repeat business.

For myself, although a reading can be done with one card, I'd prefer using more cards and I'd probably just use the one card to give more of a quick, sample reading at a festival or something and then consider it a way to get known, get business cards out there, and get repeat business for longer readings.

Debra

There's someone cluttering up Etsy ( :p ) with one-card readings for five dollars. She's done quite a few, plus some for $10/one card with supposedly half going to help an ill friend. *shrug*

eta: Her competition does one card for 99 cents on etsy!

Rev_Vesta

or me personally at an expo one year gave 1 card readings for $1 just for a quickie... I found most people wanted a more indepth reading and prefered to pay a full $25 reading .........and sit for half an hour......

personal experience...........I even tried 1o min readings quickies people still prefered half hr....readings at expo and prefered to pay more.....

Vesta

satinangel

Moderator Note

Off topic posts have been removed.

nisaba

Some people (readers as well as clients) thrive on one-card readings. Our very own gregory, for example, prior to womanfully attempting with great success a 42-card reading, claims to have been the One-Card Queen.

To me, I have a number of spreads for different purposes, all designed by me, and the one for people who know they need a reading or who feel it's time but can't pin down one question, is a "general" spread which involves fifteen cards, or if you like five mini-spreads of three cards each, all laid out together. My relationship spread, the Capital H. Spread (yes, the full stop is meant to be there) is an eight-carder and doesn't deal only with romance but with friendships, working relationships, family dynamics ... you name it. I once laid out this spread for a question concerning the relationship between a car-owner and a mechanic, and it threw a lot of light on teh situation for whichever one of them was with me at the time.

I've never consciously done a one-card reading, not even a Daily Draw. I did what effectively could be Daily Draws when getting used to new decks back in the dark ages, though (up to about ten years ago, when they seem to have stopped), pulling out single cards once or several times a day to spend up-close time with the images a nd maybe meditate on them. I never took these one-card sessions as being readings.

That being said, someone here asked me for a reading on something they'd lost a while ago, and whether it would ever find its way back home, and while I was typing, a card somewhere in the middle of a deck I had nearby somehow slid out of the deck and presented it to me. Now, I looked at one detail on the card and read it as a negative sign, but the object found its way back home anyway - I completely missed out on the fact that the *title* of the card was the literal answer! <laughter>

So one-card readings can and do work very well whether money is involved or not, but you have to have the right kind of mind for it. My mind is more a "see relationships between all the pretty pictures" kind of mind, and as such, if there's only one card in front of me I'm a bit stuffed, because I can see no relationships.

Silverlyn

These are all really enlightening answers! I'm slowly branching out into being able to now do two and three card readings and will start charging for three card readings (but still keep the One Card options for those that may wish it). I thought I'd charge $25.00 for three card readings (is that a good price?). I'd LOVE to do more-card readings, but gaahhh, I don't know if I feel confident enough to do that professionally, yet!

I've now launched, though! I've been telling my online friends as well as my mil to tell her neighbors (who sit outside a lot, they could easily come over to our deck where there's a table and I could do Readings for them, luckily my mil is supportive of me doing Tarot). My husband was even impressed with a three card Reading I did for him a few months back and wants me to go Pro!

I did a free phone reading for a good friend and she was very impressed, said the cards were echoing exactly what she knew was going on in her life and the results/directions she should take, so she's gonna tell her friends for me.

Also is it ok if I only stick with one deck right now? (in this case, my mini Universal Waite deck?). Later I could offer other decks, right?

Silverlyn