Reading for yourself on difficult issues

Lyrical

Have you ever been through a time when you are reluctant to pick up the cards because you're afraid you'll pull negative ones?

I'm actually doing very well but I have an upcoming medical procedure that I'm worried about. I don't read on medical questions for myself or for others...ever. I'm worried that I might be inclined to misinterpret even a positive reading and I don't want any negativity creeping into my mindset.

I was wondering how other people cope with/ handle these types of issues and situations. Are you like me and you just don't read at all during these times or is there a modified practice that you've adapted? Or do you just go ahead with readings as usual?

Taamar

I would think any negative cards you pulled would be a reflection of your anxiety...

In your situation, I think I might do a reading on "What can I do to make it through this difficult time more gracefully?"

Alta

The above poster makes a good suggestion, but for me, I just don't pull out the cards for myself in difficult periods. I might however get a reading from another trusted reader.

Alta

Lysh

I go with what Alta said...I use to think I could read on myself during difficult times but realized I could not correctly read the cards...too emotionally involved. I would see another trusted reader myself under those circumstances.

Aerin

Alta said:
The above poster makes a good suggestion, but for me, I just don't pull out the cards for myself in difficult periods. I might however get a reading from another trusted reader.

Alta

I did that once in a difficult time, because I wasn't sure whether I was seing what I wanted to see and I got myself in a whole vicious loop of muddle.

Took me ages to pick a reader. In the end it gave me confidence because she saw much the same as I had but with some added interesting and useful perspectives.

I do follow a personal rule though - I don't ask the question unless I know I want to deal with the answer, and I will rewrite the question if necessary. That applies whether I'm reading for myself, someone else, or giving a question to someone else to read on for me. I continue to read but I am careful what I ask.

Aerin

ETA - It's important not to give your power of decision over to the cards, why questions are sooooo important IMO.

gregory

Alta said:

Alta
Yes; me too. I don't actually trust myself even in the BEST of times, to be honest :|

olivia1

Lyrical said:
Have you ever been through a time when you are reluctant to pick up the cards because you're afraid you'll pull negative ones?

I'm actually doing very well but I have an upcoming medical procedure that I'm worried about. I don't read on medical questions for myself or for others...ever. I'm worried that I might be inclined to misinterpret even a positive reading and I don't want any negativity creeping into my mindset.

I was wondering how other people cope with/ handle these types of issues and situations. Are you like me and you just don't read at all during these times or is there a modified practice that you've adapted? Or do you just go ahead with readings as usual?

I'm pretty good at remaining objective for myself so I do read for myself during difficult time but I also like to get a second opinion from someone else (and by someone else, I mean a trusted reader or TWO).

nisaba

Lyrical said:
<sigh> No.

A Tarot deck is one of a number of warning signals we have at our disposal to help us navigate life a little more safely.

I'll get back to the example of my blind friend Shaun and his guide-dog, Berry. I know I've said what I'm about to say again here at least twice, but probably you weren't around to see it.

Berry is a guide dog, not a pet. The whole time she's out of the house, she wears a harness. The whole time she's in harness, her job is to protect Shaun and lead him to where he needs to go. I've done a bit of walking with Shaun and Berry, mostly in suburbia. Now, when they reach a kerbside, Shaun had three signals he can use to Berry: one telling her to guide him left onto the footpath if there is one, one to guide him right, one to cross the road.

Shaun then WAITS.

Back to you. Now, supposing you're afraid of using a Tarot deck at important times in your life in case it gives you a negative signal. Then you move forward blindly in your life with no idea of the problems to be faced, and unable to prepare yourself for them. Is that somehow preferable to having an idea of what's approaching and taking steps to avoid it, or protect yourself and prepare yourself if it's unavoidable?

Back to Shaun and Berry. Now, let's suppose Shaun's in a real hurry: running late for class, perhaps, or desperate for the toilet. It's only his eyes that are blind - his ears work perfectly well. But the area is busy, and the sportscar that is ripping down the road has had its engine tuned to a soft, expensive, nearly inaudible purr. Hypothetically, Shaun might be in too much of a hurry to wait for Berry to give him the all-clear. Berry sees the speeding car coming, Shaun doesn't.

Does Berry think to herself:

"Oh, the car might hurt him, in fact it might kill us both.

I love Shaun, he feeds me and pats me and lets me sleep on the bed.

I don't want to worry a man whom I love.

So I'll just let him walk out onto the road, after all, the driver *might* see us in time and *might* swerve to avoid us."

Is that good thinking for a guide dog? No, it isn't. That dog's whole life, training and career are based around him keeping Shaun safe, with the extra sensses and knowledge the dog has that Shaun doesn't have. Shaun would EXPECT Berry to resist being encouraged onto the road when she judges it's dangerous, maybe Shaun would expect to be barked at, pulled at and even bitten on the leg a la the Fool Card (I'm *sure* that dog is a guide-dog, trying to steer the Fool away from the cliff!). It is Berry's job to warn Shaun of any hazards, no matter what.

It is a Tarot deck's job to warn us of any hazards, no matter what. If you don't use it at times you need to, that's a bit like Shaun leaving Berry at home one day because the traffic is a bit heavy that day, and he doesn't want Berry warning him about it because it might worry him.

SunChariot

Lyrical said:

I need to feel calm to read and equally ready for any answer to come up. If I can't accomplish that, and yes sometimes I am feeling emotional and scared what the answer might be, I try to calm down using a lot of meditation.

If that is not helping enough, then I don't try to do the reading. I have a number of friends who are readers and I will ask one of them to do a reading for me. And of course when they are in the same situation I do readings for them.

Barbara.

Taamar

Thank you for sharing that, Nisaba! I don't think I'll be seeing the Fool without thinking of Shaun and Berry now... and your point jives with the thought I had forming in the back of my head about a diabetic friend who doesn't check her blood sugar often enough because she dreads being told it's gone wonky. Also reminds me that I ought to get a seizure alert dog (my cat can do it, but he can't make me pay attention to his warning).

Now I'm thinking about the Windows warnings that my computer gives me... irritating as all get out, but I'm not stupid enough to disable them... I need the extra moment to rething sometimes!