1st time reading in bookstore ~ bad vibes (long)

HighPriestesss

After getting pre-approval to read for the day at a local used bookstore, I was there with 'bells on' at 10 a.m. as scheduled. First impressions would've had me scrambling back to my car and throwing it into DRIVE fast! The 2 owners seemed a little crabby and whispering back and forth, then stopping whenever I walked by (to unload my trunk).

Finally the woman approached me out in the parking lot, which I thought was somewhat strange. I had already made 2 trips and really, how much *stuff* does a card reader have? LOL She approached me with "Need some help?" but I think she wanted to talk about percentages before I set up.

"No, I got it all, but thanks!"

"How much are your readings going to be?"

"Ten dollars.............did you want me to pay you a certain percentage for using your space?" and before she could answer, added that the other venue was willing to take a wait-and-see approach to see if this would even take off the ground.

"How about 20% after your first $50?"

With nothing else to compare it with, I agreed.

"I sense there's a problem with me coming here....is everything all right?"

"He's just crabby because I woke him up late and blah, blah, blah...Just smile at him and he'll be fine."

ok....

ETA: Trying to 'shake off' this nasty crabby coating I'm now layered in, I pulled three cards from my RWS to see what their problem was:

Page of Wands
The Hierophant
The Emperor

Because the husband seemed to be the one with the attitude, I pulled a 4th card over the Emperor and got The Empress (no surprise), and pulled a 5th to see what, together, their problem was, and I got Death.

My interpretation of the cards? I'm the Page, there trying to get a new intuitive business venture off the ground with the business owner(s). Ultimately, between the husband & wife team, this venture of mine isn't going to fly and, in fact, is done.

While patiently waiting for Querents, I browsed through their metaphysical section and found Bunning's book on reversals. I purchased it, in order to have something to do with my time. (NOTE: Do people actually sit and read new books in bookstores, sipping coffee all the while, and then put the read book back on the shelf? It just seems so....so....used. Even in this used bookstore, I felt guilty sitting in their comfy chair reading their book ~ until I paid for it.)

Having read even the first several pages of the book (a really good book, btw), I felt soooooo UNqualified as a reader, and sooooo uncomfortable at the thought of reading someone. I felt scattered. Uncentered. Ungrounded. I'm a Pisces, so I was swimming in both directions for sure!

There was a lot of store traffic, but only one reading, and she was sent to me by a friend. And, ultimately, she paid me with an Angel card reading instead of cash, which was fun. (That's a whole nuther thread...) But her reading, in a word, seemed inaccurate. Nothing was really making much sense and it was difficult. Hence, the bartered angel cards.

I packed up early and left ~ saying I wasn't focused enough or grounded enough and wouldn't be fair to a sitter.

I don't know. I don't think I'll go back. But I don't know if it was:

a) I wanted to go there vs. they wanted me there

b) Bad vibes in the store (2 people have said they got bad vibes too in that place)

c) I've gotten great results from readings before, but suddenly after doing the one reading and now reading this book, I feel like a fish out of water. Could it be bad vibes? Or did my confidence take a temporary nosedive?

ETA: After a couple hours, the crabby owner taped up 2 signs on the front windows advertising "Tarot Readings Inside ~ Today Only!" trying to "drum up business for you" he said. I really did appreciate his effort, but thought it was an omen with the 'Today Only'....

Do any of you get any inklings after reading this?

delaneyblues

Dont really know much but i would say the bad vibes and horrible atmosphere would have alot to do with it

avalonian

I'm no expert either, but it sounds like the owners of the store made you feel uncomfortable from the moment you arrived which wasn't exactly the best start to the day. I would think that anyone would find it difficult to do readings in those circumstances. You say that you've had good results from readings before, so I wouldn't let this one bad experience put you off.

:) :) :)

Apollonia

Oh, High Priestess, I feel for you! I remember the first time I went in to the shop where I still read and felt so much, as you say, like a fish out of water. I didn't get any querents the whole time I was there, and I, too, packed up and left early, feeling like a fluke of the Universe.

I had the thought of throwing a few cards on your questions--let me know if you'd like me to do so.

Hugs,
Apollonia

ETA: I didn't notice until I reread your post that this was in a used bookstore. I've gotten weird vibes from merchandise in an antiques store, and I think you could have gotten negative vibes from the used books, as well as from the owners.

HighPriestesss

Apollonia said:
Oh, High Priestess, I feel for you! I remember the first time I went in to the shop where I still read and felt so much, as you say, like a fish out of water. I didn't get any querents the whole time I was there, and I, too, packed up and left early, feeling like a fluke of the Universe.

I had the thought of throwing a few cards on your questions--let me know if you'd like me to do so.

Hugs,
Apollonia

OMG! Would you pleeeeze??

Btw, I edited my post and added what cards I pulled myself, earlier.....

Thank you!!!

re-pete-a

Hp, as a reader ,is it not wise to follow your own intuition.Over thinking a feeling is crushing and limiting the pathway of information, like shutting a gate gradually.
Logic is not the issue here. thats why you are confused. Personally as a reader if those vibes hit it would be pack up time. Even the new second hand book gave that same message. In that time frame picture.

A perspective overview, do not compare someonelses knowledge to yours ,
it's the same as the feed back from other AT ers it's another perspective. Youll never be able to see ALL .

The more you listen to your intuition the stronger it becomes. The more you over think it the less is it's volume.

Apollonia

HighPriestess said:
I don't know. I don't think I'll go back. But I don't know if it was:

a) I wanted to go there vs. they wanted me there

b) Bad vibes in the store (2 people have said they got bad vibes too in that place)

c) I've gotten great results from readings before, but suddenly after doing the one reading and now reading this book, I feel like a fish out of water. Could it be bad vibes? Or did my confidence take a temporary nosedive?

Do any of you get any inklings after reading this?

Well, I threw a few cards using my new Touchstone Tarot, and here's what I got:
a) The Star: One person wanted you there, and the other person just went along. Are you the first reader they've had? I sense a feeling of unpreparedness on their part, and also that the female shopkeeper may have been hoping you would take the lead as to percentages, etc., as I don't think she had a very strong idea of what made sense. Asking how they feel about having you back, I get the Hanged Man, which makes sense: they don't quite know how to feel about this, but are willing to have you come back. My guide, Sophie, is telling me to remember that shopkeepers are to some degree gamblers--they'll take a chance on you.

b) Are there bad vibes there? Six of Wands. This is one of my cards that indicate an affirmative answer, so yes, there are. What type? Death, the Fool reversed: possibly some earthbound spirits or low vibration entities--is this an older building, or possibly one built on ground that has a history to it? Give that you are an intuitive, this alone, along with the aforementioned possible weird used book vibes, would be enough to make you feel scattered. If you do go back, it might be a good idea to take along some crystals that are good for protecting your space, and make sure to ground, clear, and shield yourself ahead of going in there.

c) Ten of Cups. This feels to me as though you had a vision in your mind of what this important day would look and feel like. When it turned out from the very start to be quite different in energy from what you had been expecting and hoping to find, you were thrown off, and because of the vibes around you, you didn't get the chance to recover your equilibrium. Sophie is reminding me of what I did when I was sitting around for all those hours at first in the shop. I just took along reading requests from the Free Tarot Network and read on those, or practiced new spreads, etc. That seemed to keep the intention of the time and place being for readings. Now I just do whatever I feel like doing, but at first it felt right to just do readings during that time.

I also asked what would happen if you go back, short term and long term. Short term; Nine of Wands. You will overcome the difficulties of this first day, and be stronger for it. Long term: Seven of Pentacles: There is something in this card that speaks strongly to me of hanging in with this, at least for a time. This is a card of taking time to nurture and strengthen relationships, and I see it as pertaining to your relationship to the shopkeepers, to your clients (and you will have clients if you are consistently there), to yourself, and to your calling as a reader.

So yes, you got off to a disappointing start, but all in all, I feel things might go better next time! What did your cards have to say on the matter?

Hugs,
Apollonia

starrystarrynight

From your post, it sounds to me that he is the business-minded person of the couple, and she more the creative mind.

He may have been uneasy that "terms" were not ironed out before you actually came in to set up shop. He maybe was uncomfortable about your reading skills (especially if you hadn't read for him prior. Did you read for his partner as a trial before the day you were scheduled to come in for the day?) If he didn't know your skill level, he likely wondered if you would be an asset or a liability to the shop--as any good businessperson would.

So, there were uncomfortable vibes all around. The "Today Only" on the sign would have cut it for me...

Those would likely have been all the negative vibes I would have needed to throw me off my game and send me packing.

But, all experiences are valuable in some way, so you have learned something from this one, too. Next time, it will go better...

HighPriestesss

re-pete-a said:
Even the new second hand book gave that same message. In that time frame picture.

Thank you for reminding me about listening to my intuition! I needed that!

This little story wasn't relevant to my post so I left it out, but seeing as you've mentioned this book, I'll share...

Previously, about 6 months ago, I donated several used books to this store. In exchange, they gave me four 25% off coupons to use. On the coupon, there are no restrictions stated.

When I decided I needed to purchase this book, to avoid guilt of reading it there, I dug out a coupon from my purse. The book was in mint condition, btw, and the price tag said NEW $13.50 and orig $16.95. I brought $10.13 with the coupon and book up to the counter.

"Oh! <smiling> This book is new and has already been discounted 20%, so you can keep your coupon!" (sliding it back to me) "Your total is $14.31"

At this point, not only did I have a crabby coating on me, but a powdering of guilt and now a sprinkling of feeling used ~ like a book.

HighPriestesss

Apollonia, I tried using the Quote to reply, but my preview post isn't liking what I did! :D

They had a tarot reader once during a special event, but it sounded like it had been a while. Since I'm new at this, I didn't know what to expect either, as far as terms. So instead of offering a percentage, I waited for them to ask.

Yes, this is a very old building with creaky floors and all. The bathroom really shows its age, with a weird toilet and sink to match. So this wouldn't surprise me at all! The Fool card was probably ME, going in happily, but unprepared (terms, protection, etc.)

Yes, I envisioned where I would be sitting inside there, etc. When I got there and they weren't even open on time, that 'stalled' my vision, and when she sort of interrupted me in the parking lot, I hadn't envisioned that at all, so it sort of caught me off guard. But once everything settled down, I tried to keep my mind focused (reading the book). Key word: tried

Page of Wands
The Hierophant
The Emperor

Because the husband seemed to be the one with the attitude, I pulled a 4th card over the Emperor and got The Empress (no surprise), and pulled a 5th to see what, together, their problem was, and I got Death.

My interpretation of the cards? I'm the Page, there trying to get a new intuitive business venture off the ground with the business owner(s). Ultimately, between the husband & wife team, this venture of mine isn't going to fly and, in fact, is done.