Best Book for Beginner?

shaveling

Silverlyn said:
Ok, I agree with how we need to think for ourselves about the cards...yet there are certain agreed-upon, basic meanings for each card..

For instance:

A ten of swords comes up....I can't say (to myself or another) YAY, this is a GOOD card and means that I'm gonna be receiving ten dollars soon, because there are ten swords in the guys back:)

No, it has a general meaning (which I don't know what, but I think it's something probably NOT good).

See what I mean?

Silverlyn

Oh, dear! Perhaps what I'm going to say oughtn't be said. But there are lots of types of folks here at AT and the tarot world, and so what the heck, here goes:

The type of folk I am is Marseille People. And from my point of view, the guy with the swords in his back is from a deck that pretty much is a book about Tarot. A very poetic and allusive book, not a prosaic A=1, B=2, C=3 type of book. And yet....

Of course it's not really a book. But I don't think our conversation here is limited to just codices to the exclusion of (for instance) websites, correspondence courses, or notes written on each card by the previous owner of a used deck. I'm thinking that "book" in our discussion includes most any commentary on the cards.

In my funny Marseille world, the ten of swords basically just shows ten swords in a stereotyped arrangement. And there's no particular reason in that representation it can't be good news. Most suit + number readers wouldn't read it as referring to money, but it might well mean you'll finally get that PhD, or win a court case with no appeal to follow, or that some awful conflict in your life or at your job that's gone on for ages is going to end.

The people who created the RWS had a particular way of looking at the cards, and the meanings that way of looking at things favored are embodied in the pictures on the cards of their deck. And most of the decks created today take their meaning from those pictures. So, yes "there are certain agreed-upon, basic meanings for each card." But those meanings were developed from a certain tradition, and there are other ways of reading the cards, especially in decks that don't reflect that symbolic tradition and the theories and traditions it is built on.

But I'm responding to a fork in the discussion, instead of the main stream. You've got some good recommendations for books here, and it sounds like you've found some that work for you. Good! Go with that and enjoy diving deep into your cards, individually and in combination.

As for your poor guy with the swords in his back. Don't assume he's you, unless there's some reason to. A defeated and overkilled bad guy really is good news. That's the happy ending in fairy tales and upbeat westerns and the like. And, now and then, in real life. This is a positive reading that keeps the conventional meaning illustrated in the card. I've certainly got a list of folks whose defeat and general downfall would be a benefit for me and the world at large. Surely I'm not the only one with a list like that.

Silverlyn

You all make really good points (or should I say swords?;)

Thanks for all your replies, they help give me a different view to think with.

I am going to for now read Mark's book, still read Nancy Garens books, learn throught AT's books (online ones), and learntarot.com for now. Then go from there.

Never knew Tarot was such a huge subject, before. But then again, so is Life, eh?

Silverlyn

stella01904

Silverlyn said:
Ok, I agree with how we need to think for ourselves about the cards...yet there are certain agreed-upon, basic meanings for each card..

For instance:

A ten of swords comes up....I can't say (to myself or another) YAY, this is a GOOD card and means that I'm gonna be receiving ten dollars soon, because there are ten swords in the guys back:)

No, it has a general meaning (which I don't know what, but I think it's something probably NOT good).

See what I mean?
It's picture language, so it's packed with meanings.
Case in point: :)

The general meaning of a smileyface is "smile".

If someone posts, "I got a new deck today :)" It means "I'm happy about that."

If someone posts, "You could call her and apologise :)" it gets a little more complex, it might mean something like "I'm kind of telling you what to do, but I want you to know that my intent is friendly and inoffensive."

If you see :) at the beginning of a TV drama, it might mean that the story takes place in the 1970's.

If you see :) during the commercials, it probably means "WalMart." :p

You know all these things, without having to look them up.

shaveling said:
In my funny Marseille world, the ten of swords basically just shows ten swords in a stereotyped arrangement. And there's no particular reason in that representation it can't be good news. Most suit + number readers wouldn't read it as referring to money, but it might well mean you'll finally get that PhD, or win a court case with no appeal to follow, or that some awful conflict in your life or at your job that's gone on for ages is going to end.

Agreed. I don't read TdM and RWS identically (and I think Swords are much less dire in TdM) but there are similarities. Tens are the new cycle beginning after the old one has played out. Like the baby has done nine months in the womb and now he's in his first month of his new life. Look at the card closely - the last sword looks like it might not even be stuck in the guy's head, it might be in the ground behind him. This card can definitely mean that the worst is behind you. It just depends on the question, and on the nearby cards.

Hope this helps. :)

Silverlyn

Well that parts true (regarding smiley faces).

Like right now, if I were to try and guess the meaning of a ten of swords card, I'd say a few things: (NOBODY read these statements as anything, ok?)

1) You or someone close to you may be hurt, sick or even die (?)

2) Something, situation traps you down (?)

3) Don't know the significance of why it's ten swords, specifically, but guess you could say anything from 'ten ANYTHING' regarding it?

Arrghh.

Silverlyn

stella01904

Silverlyn said:
You or someone close to you may be hurt, sick or even die (?)
A possiblity, if it's in a grouping with other dangerous-looking cards. The 9 of Swords comes to mind. Of course you have to be very careful how you
phrase these things.
2) Something, situation traps you down (?)
EXCELLENT!
3) Don't know the significance of why it's ten swords, specifically, but guess you could say anything from 'ten ANYTHING' regarding it?
Possibly timing. Ten days, weeks, months. Timing is very difficult to pin down.

All by itself I wouldn't read too much into the number. But if it's in a grouping with other tens, then there definitely is something up with it.

Swords are intellect. So the ten (beginning of a new cycle after the old one has ended) could mean a new mode of thinking about something, after the old one has been exhausted.

Whatever comes to mind might be appropriate. Play around and have fun with it.

bigcaat

"Every Day Tarot" by Gail Fairfield.

I can't think of another book I would recommend to anyone first starting tarot. It teaches you *how* to read the cards rather than simply giving you meanings to memorize.

I just bought it, myself, for a friend for Christmas, who is just learning.

Caat

Silverlyn

Wow...that book does look good, I've added it to my wish list and will think about getting it if I want another book on Tarot:)

Meanwhile, Mark's book is REALLY REALLY good! I had a lot of fun reading it yesterday and will refer to it often. He really made it simple to understand what the difference between the Majors and Pips are, etc.

Glad I got his book, great job, Mark, Thank you! He writes in an easy to understand way, I'm learning faster using his book.

Still enjoying the Nancy Garen books too:)

Silverlyn

autumnsdaughter

I've really been finding Tarot for Your Self incredibly helpful. It has forced me to really examine how I interact with the tarot. I've been working concurrently with Tarot Plain and Simple and 78 Degrees of Wisdom as well. I feel like these 3 books are giving me a really well rounded education in tarot.

Cup_of_Fire

Can't live without it

I swear by The Tarot Directory by Annie Lionnet. It's a great book for both beginners who want the basic concepts and for advanced readers who want more in depth interpretations of the cards. It has card symbolism and then a detailed description of the card meanings. I refer to it all the time.

Sunny

*edit- whoops, just saw that you found a book. Glad that you found something you like. Cheers!

Silverlyn

Oh no, I still welcome more suggestions.
Right now, I'm pretty set with several Tarot books, plus am about to get a few more,then I think I'll just stew with them all for a few weeks or months.

Michelle