Best Book for Beginner?

Silverlyn

Ach, Sooo many Tarot books out there for a newbie to look at, yet I really want an EXTREMELY simple and succinct Tarot book that explains to me the basic meanings of every card and what Tarot/Oracles are really for.....

Help?:)

Silverlyn

sweet_intuition

You Could try Tarot: Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis... it's perfect for beginners.

Sophie

It's All in the Cards - if you want to learn basic everyday reading meaning in various situations.

The Complete Tarot Reader - that's exactly what it is: teaches you to become a reader.

Tarot for Yourself - if you want to develop the intuitive reading method.

Two of those in combination should help you out.

Personally, I started with 78 Degrees of Wisdom. It's not easy, simple, succinct or anything like that, and it won't teach you to read tarot, but it's a marvellous classic all the same. It got me to see the tarot as an esoteric gift from the very start.

But the truth? - your best book is your deck - 78 pages that should keep you busy for a while. Buy a notebook and pen and write your own basic meanings. Get those down either before or at the same time as reading a book like 78 Degrees (write down each card before you read up what the author has to say).

avalonian

Absolute Beginners Guide to Tarot by Mark McElroy is the book that I wish had been around when I started. I also constantly find myself referring to Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom and The Complete Guide to Tarot by Rachel Pollack.

satine

I like as a beginner book: Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning.

ZenMusic

>EXTREMELY simple and succinct Tarot book
then do NOT pick the 78 Degrees of Wisdom

but
Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning is exactly that...

you'll out grow it (with a few months of experience), but it's a great start

(78 DoW is a good read much later)

Sophie

And Joan Bunning has a great website: learntarot.com. Fabulous reference even after years of reading ;)

Silverlyn

Then I will check out the Joan Bunning book as my first book to try..are the Mary Greer books good for beginners?

Thanks for all the tips!

Silverlyn

Metafizzypop

I few years ago I bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot and Fortune-Telling. It's been by my side ever since. I highly recommend this book. I read somewhere (I can't for the life of me remember where) someone saying that they thought this book was a little silly. But I think for a beginner it's great. It might be a light-weight read, but I do find that the interpretations make a lot of sense. Good book!

Sophie

Silverlyn said:
are the Mary Greer books good for beginners?
One of them is - I mentioned it in my first post: Tarot for Yourself. It's a workbook, and very good for beginners and those in need of refreshment alike :)