The Thoth tarot and Astrology

Spiffo

Well Ravenscrest!

Amazing. Your outline above has given me the confidence to try that way of looking at it. I've found since I've been looking at Liber T that the whole Decan thing makes more sense to me.

I got hold of Scion's Decan Document and will start to work through that too.

I hope you know I'm stalking your posts now.

XpS

ravenest

RavenSCREST ???

:confused:

Always Wondering

I must admit I know nothing about astrology, other than a few things here and there, but I've decided to make a go of it, since my "literary" method I used until now may be good for individual cards, but not for making broader connections, and especially for the OOTK. My method when studying Qabalah was to start from the outside in, and learn the theory first and then in practice through Tarot.

I'm not sure. I actually used astrology to understand the Qabalah of the cards. Aeon418 once said that Crowley, in the Book of Thoth, says that Qabalah is the only significant study in regard to the tarot. But even though I have my books back I have yet to find that quote.

Where I do find astrology very helpful is in the forum of a natal chart to help one come to understand one's nature. So that is where I put any more further study myself. But perhaps someday I will come to see that Qabalah can do that just as well.

AW

Zephyros

I'm not sure. I actually used astrology to understand the Qabalah of the cards. Aeon418 once said that Crowley, in the Book of Thoth, says that Qabalah is the only significant study in regard to the tarot. But even though I have my books back I have yet to find that quote.

Yes, that's exactly what I did, used it to make connections, like Tower=Mars=Geburah, etc. But I'll start to study it just so I can understand the decans better. I know what they "mean" but not what they mean, if you get my drift. Up until now I used the same system of planet=sephira for them, which worked surprisingly well in understanding individual cards but I do get the feeling there is a greater context there. I'll study the dummies book, and then Scion's guide and see where that takes me. Also I guess I'm striving for a "well rounded" Mystery education, and I've avoided astrology as much as I could until now, except for in the way I talked about above. Heck, like I said, I don't know basic terminology.

ravenest

It shouldn't be a problem. As I said make some tables.

I still have to look them up; Oh ... x is in the 7th house, what's that again? I look it up, a sasquatchiquadrate ( ;) ) ... whats that? Look it up in the chart ... I am sure you did it for qabalah for a while. Eventually it sinks in.

I use a planetary reference I pasted the info I want to use under each planet. I use constellation of words for quick finding detailed research and info on constellations and stars. Downloaded tables and charts from various sources including astrology for dummies for relationships ( ruling, detriment, etc.) aspects (conjunct, trine, etc.) and house placements.

I had an early start with tarot and learnt my correspondence (including astrology) with THAT as the key. A friend of mine had her start with astrology, she learnt her correspondence (and tarot) with THAT as the key.

I find that qabbalah can be a map of THE psyche. Astrological principles and set up (as in a 'natural chart') can be A map of the psyche (both generally) but an astrological natal chart is the map specific to yourself generally; add the transits and it is a map for yourself specifically now. Same with tarot; the system as set up is a map of macro and micro cosm, generally its a map of you, a reading is a map of you now.

I don't know if qabbalah has an equivalent ... it is a map of 'Adam'; us gennerally, but does it have specifics for individuals and time variations?

Zephyros

I don't know if qabbalah has an equivalent ... it is a map of 'Adam'; us gennerally, but does it have specifics for individuals and time variations?

I think the answer to that is Tarot itself, and is perhaps the reason why the GD chose it as its preferred media. When doing a reading I have found it useful to factor in the surrounding paths and Sephiroth (which aren't in the reading itself), as the Tree is very logical in its progression. For example, if I see the Tower, the sevens and eights are hinted at as being the cause and effect (the suit involved depends on the question and other factors). If I see the Four of Discs it pays to consider the Hierophant, Lust and probably the Threes. It isn't an exact practice, but very interesting. Also balances, parallels and all that.

In shuffling you're doing a little Fortune and mixing up the universe, yet its basic structure is constant.

Maybe I should write a book about it and call it arboreal dignities })

ravenest

Nah ... wouldn't sell ... bad title.

'The Abominable Dignitaries of Aleister Crowley' by Closrapexa

... Now THAT would sell!

Richard

I think the answer to that is Tarot itself, and is perhaps the reason why the GD chose it as its preferred media. When doing a reading I have found it useful to factor in the surrounding paths and Sephiroth (which aren't in the reading itself), as the Tree is very logical in its progression. For example, if I see the Tower, the sevens and eights are hinted at as being the cause and effect (the suit involved depends on the question and other factors). If I see the Four of Discs it pays to consider the Hierophant, Lust and probably the Threes. It isn't an exact practice, but very interesting. Also balances, parallels and all that.

In shuffling you're doing a little Fortune and mixing up the universe, yet its basic structure is constant.

Maybe I should write a book about it and call it arboreal dignities })
The Cube of Space offers even more relations between the Planets (double letters) and the astrological signs and elements. For example, Tau, the center of the cube, is the intersection of the three directional axes, which are the Mother letters Aleph, Mem, Shin, or above-below, east-west, north-south). I.e., Saturn (the World or the Element Earth) is the intersection of Air, Water, and Fire (Fool, Hanged Man, and Judgment). It would appeal to your mentality, I think: cubical as well as arborial dignities.