Looking to try to tackle the Thoth again need some help

Abrac

To me, the article's value is mostly in its revelations about where Frieda got her inspiration for the artwork.

The collages are interesting, but I don't quite buy the author's assertion that they prove a hidden harmony in the geometry. I can kinda see how the sample collages might be mates, but for the most part the connections look a bit forced to me. I'm assuming that the ones shown are the best examples, but maybe not.

The geometry does have an overall harmonizing effect though, in my opinion. I've seen some trimmed Thoth decks and they are quite striking. :)

Zephyros

The collages are interesting, but I don't quite buy the author's assertion that they prove a hidden harmony in the geometry. I can kinda see how the sample collages might be mates, but for the most part the connections look a bit forced to me. I'm assuming that the ones shown are the best examples, but maybe not.

I agree. This is a fascinating subject that merits exploration, but the examples in the article do seem rather forced and artificial, even though, as LRichard would accuse me, sophistry would find plausible connections between the connected cards. Still, I believe there really is something there, and one of the cards that most interest me in this respect is the Hermit, and whether his different lines connect to anything.

ravenest

I'm not sure that after reading this article I have any better understanding of projective geometry, but I had no idea that these cards could be matched up like this. The curving upward lines on the HP match up perfectly with the straight lines of the Hanged Man. I'm flabbergasted! I had no idea of this kind of symmetry between the cards. Is this news to only me? I've never heard anyone discuss this before.

It must be listed within the search function as there has been many posts and discussions on this subject over the years.

I've never trimmed any of my decks before. I kind of like borders if they are fairly unobtrusive. I'm thinking about trimming a Thoth though and explore this symmetry thing a little more.

There are threads on how best to do this, read them first before you wreck a deck.

I'm mostly a lurker on the Thoth postings. Love the deck, but don't feel up to snuff for trading ideas about it with some of you more advanced students, but man I'd really like to hear some of you expound on this geometry subject if you can.

Ahem .... LRichard ???

ravenest

Some are good and some elude me ... yes, 'forced'. I have seen many combos ... some much more interesting and less 'forced' so I am not sure why some of those were given as examples .... the eye of the beholder ?

I am not convinced there is a mystery or hidden meaning in this. Themes appear in artwork; especially that of a mystical, symbolic or geometric representation, so its not surprising to me that some matches up ... but that's just A view ... for all I know it might be parts of giant jigsaw that makes more sense and gives revelation when put together the 'right' way - just like the other aspects of Tarot .... and life ;)

Richard

There is no notion of linear or angular measurement in projective geometry. Therefore there is no way to determine whether two lines are parallel. You may try to get around this by saying that two lines are parallel if they never meet, but this obviously is impossible to verify. Therefore there is no concept of parallelism in projective geometry, and in the formal structure of synthetic (axiomatic) projective geometry, it is assumed that every pair of lines eventually intersect. In the Thoth cards, you will notice that most of the "long" lines (those which appear to extend beyond the boundary of the card) look as if they are going to meet somewhere, either in the image itself or at some point outside of the image. I.e., Harris seems to be reluctant to depict linear parallelism in the images. This is in accordance with the nature of projective geometry. There is a notable exception in the grid behind the Hanged Man. The horizontal lines appear to be "parallel" and to extend beyond the boundary of the image. However, in projective geometry this is an illusion, and all of these horizontal lines must meet at some point, if not apparently at some finite point, at least at a hypothetical "point at infinity." The terminology is borrowed from perspective geometry, in which, for example the sides of a road, or parallel power lines, appear to converge to a point in the distance, called a point at infinity.

Attachments

• tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 94

Terrapin

Some are good and some elude me ... yes, 'forced'. I have seen many combos ... some much more interesting and less 'forced' so I am not sure why some of those were given as examples .... the eye of the beholder ?

I am not convinced there is a mystery or hidden meaning in this. Themes appear in artwork; especially that of a mystical, symbolic or geometric representation, so its not surprising to me that some matches up ... but that's just A view ... for all I know it might be parts of giant jigsaw that makes more sense and gives revelation when put together the 'right' way - just like the other aspects of Tarot .... and life ;)

Thanks to everyone who has commented on the geometry question. You know even if no deeper connection between cards is implied the care & artistry put into the Thoth is really mind blowing. Just another reason why there's really only one Thoth!

Siochanai

Wow just wow now this is one of the reasons I am so drawn to the thoth. The never ending depth they have. Now if only I can get a solid start without getting lost. Been trying for a few weeks now. Feels like I can't even use the darn things.

Zephyros

Wow just wow now this is one of the reasons I am so drawn to the thoth. The never ending depth they have. Now if only I can get a solid start without getting lost. Been trying for a few weeks now. Feels like I can't even use the darn things.

How are you progressing? What kind of problems do you run in to?

Siochanai

How are you progressing? What kind of problems do you run in to?

Progress there really is no progress just a mess of non understanding and chaos. Feels way over my head.

The best way to explain it is my impressions of The Fool...
"The beginnings of everything are there but in reality it is pure unorganized chaos due to the lack of understanding."