Looking to try to tackle the Thoth again need some help

Siochanai

Thoth is very handy on account of the training wheels. The attributions (Hebrew letters and astrological glyphs) are indicated right on the cards. No need to look them up or memorize them. :D The deck does have a Thelemic focus, but that need not be a bother.

ETA. The small cards even have the Decan titles (the so-called "keywords"). No wonder the Thoth even appeals to fortune tellers, who may have no interest whatsoever in the esoteric "baggage."

Very true Crowley really thought it out well and wanted to give everyone a chance at understanding it. As for no interest in the esoteric "baggage" how can someone not have an interest in that... It is there right in front of you screaming look at me and dive into the hole. I can't see how someone can resist jumping in the hole... Sure we might never in our lives get out of the hole but that does not make it any less alluring. It is like a constant taunt until you jump into the abyss and then it taunts you even more.

Richard

I think the titles on the small cards indicate the overall influence of the Decans, and thus give a jump start to my interpretations. I even use the Decans with the Marseille pips (horrors :!:), although discretion would certainly prevent me from confessing this heinous sin over in the Marseille forum. (It would provoke an unending series of fire-and-brimstone sermons on the fact that such incorporation of astrology into Tarot would have been deserving of a public flogging, back in the good old days of sloppy woodcut-and-stencil card production.)

treedog

I've never had any luck using the esoteric titles as keywords. That's like saying you could get all the information/correspondences down to one or two words.

Yup, that's one reason I trimed the larger green box Thoth; it makes me go beyond memorizing labels. And, while on that subject is one reason I like Wang's Golden Dawn Tarot. I am also recently smitten by the Jungian Tarot with those beautiful non-narrative pips.

Richard

The sign and planet of each small card can be determined by a quick mental calculation without any memorization. The section on the small cards in The Book of Thoth explains how card titles are derived from the astrological decans.

gregory

Yup, that's one reason I trimed the larger green box Thoth; it makes me go beyond memorizing labels. And, while on that subject is one reason I like Wang's Golden Dawn Tarot. I am also recently smitten by the Jungian Tarot with those beautiful non-narrative pips.

Trimming also opens up the projective geometry. That was why I did (one of) mine.

treedog

The sign and planet of each small card can be determined by a quick mental calculation without any memorization.

You pointed that out before (thanks) and I'm into it. All that's required (for newcomers) is the ability to count by 3s to 9, know the days of the week, and the GD order of the "seven planets": Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter. Et viola!

With a little practice, it becomes a working part of the mind.

Terrapin

I'm not sure that after reading this article I have any better understanding of projective geometry, but I had no idea that these cards could be matched up like this. The curving upward lines on the HP match up perfectly with the straight lines of the Hanged Man. I'm flabbergasted! I had no idea of this kind of symmetry between the cards. Is this news to only me? I've never heard anyone discuss this before.

I've never trimmed any of my decks before. I kind of like borders if they are fairly unobtrusive. I'm thinking about trimming a Thoth though and explore this symmetry thing a little more.

I'm mostly a lurker on the Thoth postings. Love the deck, but don't feel up to snuff for trading ideas about it with some of you more advanced students, but man I'd really like to hear some of you expound on this geometry subject if you can.

Terrapin

Oh, and thank you Abrac for posting the above link. This aspect of the Thoth really excites me. Wow.