Is the Hermit reversed ashamed?

Silverbells

Hermit reversed is ashamed. After looking at the truth of himself, he has to turn away to collect himself because it is disturbing and he realizes that all the while he thought he was going good, only to find that things are not what he thought they were - perhaps he is not what he thought he was.
It just hit me, after not being able to figure out what in the world he could mean in my readings. Other interpretations that I've looked at did not resonate. I've been pulling the Hermit rx in reference to someone and their behavior in certain situations, and I've been pulling it time and again (once clarified by the Ace Of Pentacles rx which I see as hidden offers, potential etc.).
Has anyone ever had the Hermit rx come up as "shame"?

rwcarter

Has that other person confirmed that their actions reflected shame or are you applying that term to their actions for them? Just because you see their actions as reflecting shame doesn't mean that they were expressing shame.

I wouldn't have associated shame with the Hermit Rx. Just because I wouldn't doesn't mean that you can't though.

Rodney

Silverbells

Hi, no the person hasn't confirmed their shame. It's too soon for me to have gotten the story from them (this was a personal reading).
The reason I saw shame is because the it keeps coming up in reference to this person's behavior and none of the other interps seem right so clearly the card is trying to get a point across to me. Also, I'm a pretty visual person and I've noticed that the tarot is coming across to me with visual cues, and Hermit rx was looking to me like he was turned away from the path and is looking down in shame or consternation or something unpleasant.

MissNine

I think he hasn't been able to really think about things. Not able to look at himself in the mirror and reflect. He's not gaining wisdom because he won't unpack his baggage.

rwcarter

What deck are you using? If Rx he looks down in shame, then upright he's looking up?

Silverbells

MissNine - that could be the case, indeed but I asked how they felt now as opposed to before when I was getting "positive" cards about their feeling and got the Hermit rx so I assumed something had changed (and something did come up that might have influenced a change of feeling) but maybe not. Maybe this person's baggage is not allowing them time to reflect. That would fit in with the traditional meaning of the Hermit rx as I've heard it.

rwcarter - I'm using Rider-Waite. I say if Hermit is looking up, he's seeking, perhaps if he's looking down he's found an answer in his seeking and now he's processing it.
I found an interpretation on the forum where the Hermit had come up for someone meaning, "I've found it." Then it hit me that maybe in my case, it meant something like that because he did look sad or something and he was turned away as if what he found had made him sad. I couldn't figure out why. But the Hermit is a truth-seeker and a truth-seeker doesn't daunt easily unless he found the one thing that upended the one thing that he was sure of: himself...what do you think?

MissNine

It just seems to me that this person's not putting in the reflection time you think they are. It's not on their radar. Maybe feelings have cooled off between you two or they are busy with something momentarily, as positive cards are not showing up.

Silverbells

It just seems to me that this person's not putting in the reflection time you think they are. It's not on their radar. Maybe feelings have cooled off between you two or they are busy with something momentarily, as positive cards are not showing up.

That may be the case. Feelings may have cooled and maybe that is what the deck is saying but I didn't ask about that; I asked about a specific circumstance. I think I will do readings on this in the coming days and see if the Hermit rx stops appearing. If he does, then I will lean toward my interpretation because I will take that as, "you've gotten the message, and we don't need to keep shoving Hermit rx in your face." I do imagine that I will hear soon what the person has felt about certain things.
I'd like to know how the tarot is operating, though. I don't want to find that the tarot is not working with my particular faculties. If visual aspects jump out at me and it's not so very far from the traditional interpretation then I want to be able to trust that what I am seeing is what the deck is telling me.

aurafields

Hermit reversed is ashamed. After looking at the truth of himself, he has to turn away to collect himself because it is disturbing and he realizes that all the while he thought he was going good, only to find that things are not what he thought they were - perhaps he is not what he thought he was.
It just hit me, after not being able to figure out what in the world he could mean in my readings. Other interpretations that I've looked at did not resonate. I've been pulling the Hermit rx in reference to someone and their behavior in certain situations, and I've been pulling it time and again (once clarified by the Ace Of Pentacles rx which I see as hidden offers, potential etc.).
Has anyone ever had the Hermit rx come up as "shame"?

I lend towards agreement with Missnine. I always look at the cards I've drawn to see what cards are missing as well as the ones that are present. I have never seen the Hermit as shame, but that doesn't mean it can't mean that if you are strongly inclined to see that as the possible answer. Tarot cards draw strongly on our unconscious impressions, so you may be picking up something that not everyone would see. The Hermit reversed is likely pointing to a person who is immature and perhaps is jumping from one relationship to another. It can also show a person who is being foolish and using cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, or some other foolish vice that they know is immature and wouldn't want anyone else to see. Cheating could be seen as a vice, and this may be something that you may perceive as something they would be ashamed of. Just some thoughts. Take the whole reading into consideration before landing. Are there other cards to support the "shame", interpretation? What cards are missing that you would expect to see indicate an answer to your question? What may be missing is a big indicator for me when interpreting a reading.

Silverbells

The Hermit reversed is likely pointing to a person who is immature and perhaps is jumping from one relationship to another.

Hi :) Wow, okay, the question that I asked was loosely connected to something like this...and what I had in mind was the recent occurrence that might have shed some light on the inappropriateness of the behavior/situation. Now, I am thinking that with this Hermit rx, the person is not seeing the reality of the behavior at all. Though, I find that hard to believe. It's one thing to be blind to one's shortcomings but after a certain period of time, and big explosions of contradicting evidence in your face that there is something really wrong...

But it could be that the person sees the situation clearly after all and is embarrassed by the behavior...(but I'd probably want to see the Sun come up for that interpretation, though the baby in the sun is unashamed and basking and for me, that would indicate your interpretation of free indulgence rather than my original idea of shame) Okay, it's wee hours and my brain is starting to hurt with these circles it is going around. :)

P.S. I like the idea you have of what cards DIDN'T come up. I shall think more.