Massachusetts Metaphysical Shops?

3ill.yazi

Yeah, I've been meaning to get there. They have hours that kind of conflict with my schedule and commute, but I intend to get there.

tarotbear

I just sent out feelers to Groundings, Mercantile, and Inspirit Crystals since I will be in the NOHO/Florence area this weekend ... never hurts to make a sale ... or two!

HearthCricket

There used to be a fabulous Metaphysical Shop called The Unicorn Bookstore, in Lexington, way back in the 80's. Decks, books, music, crystal, incense, you name it. They moved to Arlington, then to Cambridge, but I believe they are closed down now. Worth checking it out, though it has gone through many moves and owners and not sure if it even exists. There is Circles of Wisdom in Andover, but their tarot choices are lacking and seem to be more into fluffy oracles. Their crystals and statuary are fabulous though. One of the best and more reliable places is to hit Salem. Pyramid Bookstore and a bunch of others. Between them all you are pretty certain to come across most decks out there except for the few and the rare, or more historical themed ones. The pickings have become very slim lately. Borders used to have a fabulous selections, but alas, we have lost that store too. :(

littlethings

I remember the Unicorn Bookstore! I think you're right, that they closed after the Cambridge move.

I'm actually not far from Seven Stars but haven't been there yet. I tend to go to Salem because they have so many options. Pyramid Books is my favorite. They have everything. Nice selection of decks with sample decks you can look through.

Plenilune

The Seven Sisters are good.

Also Horai-San Book Shop in Brookline, MA

Hafta Havit in Pembroke, MA.

Buddha Beads in Eastham, MA.

Earth House in Orleans, MA

Zuzu's Healing Arts Melrose, MA

Ritual Arts, Allston, MA

tarotbear

A little encouragement

I just sent out feelers to Groundings, Mercantile, and Inspirit Crystals since I will be in the NOHO/Florence area this weekend ... never hurts to make a sale ... or two!

I got one response from one shop asking me to stop in and check things out - and then this response from another shop - which is blowing me off ... I particularly like the last line:
"Thanks for contacting us. We're not going to be buying any more Tarot cards this year. If you want you could contact us again next year and we can look at your cards. I didn't check your website but if the cards are on the site we could look at them there and save you a trip if it turns out that they aren't a match with what (if anything) we may be looking for." {emphasis mine} :confused:

Kiss my royal Italian ass, suckha! .... :p

tarotbear

Where I've gone most often to buy decks is the Mercantile, which has stores in Northampton and Amherst. Not a metaphysical shop, more a purveyor of odd imports and funky stuff that tourists and college kids get. Kind of like a head shop without the drug paraphernalia if you get me. But they have a case of tarot cards, standard LoS and USG titles, in an amount that rivals the metaphysical shops. I go there because they frequently have sales. I've almost never purchased a deck full price because of them. I'm talking 25-40 percent off sometimes. They have put big coupons in the local free weekly paper the Advocate too.

Was just there - goodly supply of Tarot decks! :thumbsup:

HearthCricket

One thing about this area is that I have noticed the best decks I have come across are often in the least expected places. I bought my Old English Tarot in a colonial gift shop in Old Historical Deerfield, tucked in a corner near some gorgeous china! I bought the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg and the Medieval Scapini at the chain shop "The Museum Store" when it was still in business. My first Swiss 1JJ came from Spencer's Gifts! I often find unique cards at checkout lines and recently picked up two packs of the Fantod at a local bookstore. Sometimes you just need to keep your eyes peeled, look in games and children's sections or odd little gift shops, bookstores, both new and used, and you just might find a gem of a deck!

Dara

I got one response from one shop asking me to stop in and check things out - and then this response from another shop - which is blowing me off ... I particularly like the last line:
"Thanks for contacting us. We're not going to be buying any more Tarot cards this year. If you want you could contact us again next year and we can look at your cards. I didn't check your website but if the cards are on the site we could look at them there and save you a trip if it turns out that they aren't a match with what (if anything) we may be looking for." {emphasis mine} :confused:

Kiss my royal Italian ass, suckha! .... [emoji14]
Wow that seemed really unprofessional. Why wouldn't they just check your website before writing such a response? Seems lazy, totally brushed you off. Which store was that?

3ill.yazi

One update for people visiting: Bookends, a wonderful used bookstore in the Florence section of Northampton, is now selling the amazing historic decks published by Roxanne Flornoy!