Can't find the thread but....what questions do you ask to begin a reading?

Apollonia

So I want to start practicing readings on others and I cannot for the life of me find information on what question you should ask in the beginning of a tarot session.

Is it something as simple as "how can i help you?"
"What would you like to know?"....

What do you guys initially say to get them to start their questions? Am I overthinking this? Lol
1) Have you had a reading before, or do you read for yourself at all?
2) What are we looking at today?

SunChariot

I see! But I like that! So I'm learning all the different methods and what it teaches me is that intuition is extremely important. Because sometimes you might just get a feeling that someone might be tooooo much. Lol.

Some clients are toooo much. LOL

It's rare but it has happened to me a few times where I had to refuse to read for a client. Since I read online and they pay me first, that means I need to refund them. But it's happened.

If my warning bells start going off I won't do the reading. Things like people who ask what they can do to hurt someone, take some real revenge on them....And a few other times=

Babs

Ace

Verbatim: "Is there a subject-area you'd like me to centre the reading around, or will a general do you?" And that is absolutely all I say.

I do that too. And if it comes out too general, my answer is "general questions get general answers!" but a lot of time you can find after a minute, something come up that they REALLY want to know. The biggest issue I have is time. People have to realize that I am doing FAST readings (usually at a party with a line behind them) so If they want something special then need to ask up front or risk not getting an answer.

Barb

Tanga

Some clients are toooo much. LOL

...If my warning bells start going off I won't do the reading. Things like people who ask what they can do to hurt someone, take some real revenge on them....And a few other times=

Babs

Lol. Well I haven't had that - yet...

nisaba

I do that too. And if it comes out too general, my answer is "general questions get general answers!"

I find that if strong cards come out in the part of the spread dealing with different parts of their life, that shows me where to focus. I might spend fifteen minutes talking about two cards, and three minutes talking about seven cards. :)

Grizabella

I just do a little chit-chat to start with to break the ice and warm things up. Then I ask for their question or area of interest. I like some background but not a ton of it.