Witches Tarot by Dugan & Evans Review

Carla

Finally, what must be noted is that Dugan includes herself in her Witches Tarot deck. She appears as the character of the 9 of Pentacles. For me, this is unheard of. I cannot say I’ve seen a single Tarot deck where the author/conceiver places themselves amongst such a powerful and revered tool for transformation. Certainly, none have done it so obviously, or came right out and openly discussed it!

Actually, the creator of the Gaian Tarot does it on the very same card. She's not made a secret of it, either. :) http://www.gaiantarot.com/wp-content/uploads/deck-images/nine-earth.jpg

Sulis

Moderator note

As Eyebright has said a few posts above this one - please start a new thread if you'd like to discuss decks which feature the deck creator on one or more of the cards.
This thread is about The Witches Tarot :).

Thanks.

Sulis - Tarot Decks co-moderator

Eeviee

As Eyebright has said a few posts above this one - please start a new thread if you'd like to discuss decks which feature the deck creator on one or more of the cards.
This thread is about The Witches Tarot :).

Thanks.

Sulis - Tarot Decks co-moderator

My apologies. I was not thinking.
Thanks for the heads up.

Eeviee

You should probably start a new thread about this, to keep this thread on topic, and it will be easily found by others searching for something similar in the future!

I should aslo like to say I quite like the smooth way the Witches Tarot shuffles, it's not too slippery! I can certainly imagine this deck will sell quite well! :D

Seeing as you seem remotely interested, as I am, I think I shall once I get home!
Thanks for the warning, unfortunately, I did not see it until after @Sulis advised me as well! Oops!

Shade

Thank you for this review! I'm excited for this deck because I really enjoy the artwork I have seen of the majors and I also like Ellen Dugan's writing.

I did have a "Where are the witches?" feeling when going through the preview images. Now that I have seen a few of the minors I'm much more settled about that. Witch references seem to be subtle. And witches aside, I'm very open to a beautifully updated RWS. The art is stunning.

I know it's a small thing but I really rather like that the Fool is following her dog rather than the other way around.

Eeviee

Thank you for this review! I'm excited for this deck because I really enjoy the artwork I have seen of the majors and I also like Ellen Dugan's writing.

I did have a "Where are the witches?" feeling when going through the preview images. Now that I have seen a few of the minors I'm much more settled about that. Witch references seem to be subtl. And witches aside, I'm very open to a beautifully updated RWS. The art is stunning.

I know it's a small thing but I really rather like that the Fool is following her dog rather than the other way around.

The Fool is actually portrayed as a male... though, I find him very androgynous. And with a big nose! xP

Nydia

Eeviee, I saw your review on Amazon, too. I especially appreciate the photos with notes for some of the cards. I'm not fond of having the different types of artwork/photos in the cards. I like the "cartoon" or photo-manipulated faces and images much more than the straight photos stuck in there.

I'm putting off buying this deck now. I was tempted to buy this after seeing the cards on the Witches Tarot website. That site shows all the Majors, but only 3 cards from each suit.

I was also interested in this deck because I figured the cards would have the same size and feel as the recent Steampunk Tarot. Do the cards feel like the cards in the Steampunk Tarot?

Eeviee

Eeviee, I saw your review on Amazon, too. I especially appreciate the photos with notes for some of the cards. I'm not fond of having the different types of artwork/photos in the cards. I like the "cartoon" or photo-manipulated faces and images much more than the straight photos stuck in there.

I'm putting off buying this deck now. I was tempted to buy this after seeing the cards on the Witches Tarot website. That site shows all the Majors, but only 3 cards from each suit.

I was also interested in this deck because I figured the cards would have the same size and feel as the recent Steampunk Tarot. Do the cards feel like the cards in the Steampunk Tarot?

I'm glad you appreciate!
Exaclty why I posted such. =]

And yes. The card stock and quality is just the same. This is the 4th Llewellyn deck I own, and it seems to be their consistant size/texture/material etc. for the cards, and packaging.

Cerulean

Eight of Cups very lovely

And I like the use of sweet peas in the card.

Sweet peas were a garden favorite for me and so wistfully fragrant...although they can be a huge fragrnt vine.