"Novelty" Decks

RobinRayfield

There are several decks that are looked upon as joke decks, typically referred to as novelty decks (such as the recent Lisa Frank deck or the Justice League deck). I'm wondering, do people use decks like these for serious readings, and do they work better than "serious" decks?

Starri Knytes

[emoji1]
I absolutely do. One of my favorite go to decks for connecting clients with their deceased loved ones is Hello (Kitty) Tarot. There's something about the child like simplicity or naivete of the deck that makes it perfect for this type of reading.

I have an ever growing collection of theme and novelty decks. I love them!!
I'll be getting the Lisa Frank deck too if I can find the download page.

VGimlet

I would say they work just as well. :p

I have a few novelty - joke - silly decks and they are a lot of fun.

SarahJoy

I like the Justice League. Haven't done any readings with it yet, but it seems very readable. There's definitely been a lot of thought put into the cards.

The Lisa Frank, though, is way too sugary-sweet for my taste.

I think, with novelty decks, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Little_Bear

Novelty Decks

I have a few novelty decks, if done well, they read just as clearly as a more 'serious' or non-themed deck.

My current favourite themed decks are The Tarot of the Magical Forest (in fact, this is hands down my all time fave deck), The Happy Tarot and the Zombie Tarot (which is SO well put together, such a treat!).

Alta

The novelty deck The Housewives Tarot is considered a great reading deck by many.

danieljuk

Nisaba once on a circle gave me a really amazing reading with a deck which was a deck with cards with jokey images on! It was deep and serious and didn't turn out how we expected at all :D :eek: I think all decks can give really serious readings!

I've always wanted the hello kitty deck, I saw a reading once on an image site with it which was really serious for someone! The decks get the message out whatever their theme :) The Housewives and Zombie Decks for example can be so sassy and sarcastic :D

Darkmage

The Postmodern Tarot is another joke deck. I like it, though I wouldn't use it for readings. The cards are HUGE and are meant more for show than actual use.

Mage: The Ascension is another interesting novelty deck. It's also OOP and rare, so if you find a copy for cheap, pick it up.

Housewives is in that no-man's land between joke and serious. I have a copy and it's a riot.

I want the Hello Kitty deck but don't feel like shelling out for it. :/ Who knows what'll pop up in the local used bookstores, though?

think

I'm intrigued by the decks. I am a pagan myself but I sometimes prefer the quirky, unusual styles to the ones that are meant to be more serious or realistic, for want of a better word.

But they are so far not really my taste, too sickly sweet. I haven't even seen the hello kitty one, but don't think I'd like it (my 5 year old would). The housewives tarot looks quite interesting.

rylla

I also like the quirky, unusual styles, like the Ruijters deck, but not the childish ones. They don't do the job for me. I can't take them seriously so I can't do a meaningful reading with them. But I am reading here that they work for other people.