Mirror image for card backs?

seven stars

What do you guys think of this concept? The artwork is beautiful, and the concept is interesting, I just don't think i'd be able to read with these....

The idea is that instead of having one design on each of the card backs, each card back is the "back side" of whatever was going on on the face of the card.

I'm thinking, maybe Lo Scarabeo was thinking that this way there IS no card "back, you just shuffle them and lay them & if it's a card front it's read as an upright & if it's a card "back" it's read like a reversal...(I don't know, I'm guessing?)...but then what happens when the cards are also upside-down? And for me I think I'd have a hard time with every card being so revealed....try shuffling your deck with the face side UP instead of down & do a reading, it's real un-nerving. But then, at least they're trying something completely new, that's kind of cool....

Attachments

• Lo scabero.jpg
    Lo scabero.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 245

Penthasilia

I really love the idea- and I don't see it as a reversal- at least not with the one example you gave- more of a look at the shadow side of the card- victorious ride in, but then you see what is behind him- the bloody garments of those who fought to secure it. So- still victory- yet not as pristine.

Reversed would be the same deal- the reversal and shadow reversal.

WOW- that would be a very interesting deck to work with- talk about having a lot of nuances to see. I would be interested.

ETA: what deck is that?

MissNine

When I shuffle, I look at the card backs. I think it would create too much distraction and also bias if I knew which cards in the deck were where. I might shuffle more if the back of the devil cards shows up on top before I cut the deck. I guess it comes down to if you look at the cards while you shuffle because with the backs of the card illustrations, anyone looking at the cards while shuffling will know which cards are where, which is kind of like cheating.

rwcarter

Since the Transparent Tarot's cards are, well, transparent, they don't really have card backs. When shuffling that deck I purposely take one of the halves in my hand and flip it around the vertical axis. I would do the same with this mystery deck when shuffling. So some back images would appear in a reading and some front images would appear. The idea excites me!

And I shuffle and cut my cards with my eyes closed, so seeing what's on top won't bother me at all.

Rodney

RiverRunsDeep

It's an interesting concept but I agree with MissNine, it would be too distracting for me. I like to meditate on the card backs while shuffling. Occasionally, I like to fan out the cards and choose randomly, but it is impossible to make a random choice if I can see what the images will be! This is one of the reasons I haven't purchased the Secret Forest Tarot, even though I like the images very much.

Amsonia

Oh, this looks really interesting...did I miss the name of this deck? I'd be very apt to want to play with a deck like this. I like the idea of seeing both sides of the picture...cool!

Le Fanu

The concept for me is secondary to the artwork. If I liked the artwork (and it looks quite good from the little I've seen), I'd give it a go.

The secret is a nice, spacious bag, something sumptuous and velvety to dip your hand in and pull cards. It's easy to pick cards in a way that you don't see them. Shuffle with your eyes closed, murmuring like an oracle from antiquity, place in bag and draw randomly...

reall

:)) interesting concept!:)) beautiful art!:)) but not much practical?!:)
imo this is more art deck?:) and more what we seen already is happening on the card back?:)/what was the title of that old deck?x.x ;))

Alta

I am intrigued, especially as the scene changes on the back, i.e. that the back warriors are now bloody etc. The backs don't bother me, wouldn't be an issue. From this one card, the art itself is fine.

gregory

I think it looks brilliant. Kind of a step further than Secret Forest.

And I too would read the image itself, not seeing it as upright or "reversed." After all - how will you know "which side" is up !

Does it have a name yet ?