Incidences when Lenormand has been Literal

Teheuti

I am a little confused. I thought that the literal meaning of a card is when it refers to the thing shown - Ring is a ring (or maybe a piece of jewelry). Fox would be a literal fox - like seeing a fox in your garden (Fox+Garden). Or like a person who asked in a forum for the meaning of Tree-Birds-Scythe and later that day reported that her favorite tree outside her window with all the birds in it (she had commented on it before) had just been cut down as it was actually on the neighbor's land. Now, to me, that's literalism!

However, most of the comments are about when the regular interpretive meanings of the cards have been right - Ring, a contract goes through. Or, Fox as someone being manipulative. Of course, I love when this happens and the examples have been great - but it is also what I expect to happen with Lenormand cards.

I don't always expect the exact literalisms and am usually delighted when they occur! Or have I mis-understood the word "literal"?

MandMaud

I'm learning a lot from this thread too. I haven't got keywords settled for all the cards yet - probably about half of them, in fact. These varying contexts really help.

P.S. So, Lennies require NO intuition whatsoever?

Maybe that's why I'm struggling so badly with it? With tarot, I have tried to read *without* my intuition kicking in, and can't do it. (I need to because with my intuition it takes too long and too much "attention energy"! :laugh:) If this is a system requiring NO intuition in play, I doubt I'd be able to.

However I can't believe it completely is. I can't see how any divination could be. And with the Lenormand, so often we need to select a meaning from a few possibles, for example whether snake refers to a woman or a deceit or a winding path or piece of string... or... or... If that isn't an intuitive decision, how do people (you experts, I mean :p) choose?

Padma

I am a little confused. I thought that the literal meaning of a card is when it refers to the thing shown - Ring is a ring (or maybe a piece of jewelry). Fox would be a literal fox - like seeing a fox in your garden (Fox+Garden). Or like a person who asked in a forum for the meaning of Tree-Birds-Scythe and later that day reported that her favorite tree outside her window with all the birds in it (she had commented on it before) had just been cut down as it was actually on the neighbor's land. Now, to me, that's literalism!

However, most of the comments are about when the regular interpretive meanings of the cards have been right - Ring, a contract goes through. Or, Fox as someone being manipulative. Of course, I love when this happens and the examples have been great - but it is also what I expect to happen with Lenormand cards.

I don't always expect the exact literalisms and am usually delighted when they occur! Or have I mis-understood the word "literal"?

Yup - I gathered the same - and it really is a very literal deck, I find! Especially in the daily draws. I once had Lady/Fox/Dog to indicate I would see a Lady in a red coat walking her dog ;) My niece once got the floral Bouquet card to indicate a vegetarian lady named Flora, haha!

Mandy, I do use my intuition to read with these - I study the pair of cards I am reading, and I let all of my senses tell me what they are trying to convey. Not an expert by any stretch, but I do find they like to chatter away, if one will only listen!

MandMaud

Yup - I gathered the same - and it really is a very literal deck, I find! Especially in the daily draws. I once had Lady/Fox/Dog to indicate I would see a Lady in a red coat walking her dog ;) My niece once got the floral Bouquet card to indicate a vegetarian lady named Flora, haha!

Mandy, I do use my intuition to read with these - I study the pair of cards I am reading, and I let all of my senses tell me what they are trying to convey. Not an expert by any stretch, but I do find they like to chatter away, if one will only listen!

Right... I wonder why my intuition refuses to work with these cards, then? Maybe I need to get all my keywords absolutely solid. Maybe I spent much longer at the "beginner" level with tarot, groping for intuitive understanding, than I remember. :)

I thought the same about being literal, but still I find myself tempted to share examples where the keywords have been literal, rather than the images themselves!

Teheuti

Yup - I gathered the same - and it really is a very literal deck, I find! Especially in the daily draws.
Yes, I find the daily draws to often be quite literal, when they aren't being totally enigmatic ;) .

Teheuti

I find myself tempted to share examples where the keywords have been literal, rather than the images themselves!
The keywords are supposed to be literal! At least, that's how I read Lenormand. A bit of interpretation on top of that helps - for instance, in a recent case where someone lost a credit card, she drew Anchor+Mountain = fixed or stuck in something big and obstructive. The card was stuck in an ATM machine. That's a literal meaning of the keywords but not of the images. But that's the normal way that Lenormand is read - so I guess you could say that all readings are literal ones. (Unless you are using Lenormand as a psychic oracle where the 'meaning' may have little to do with the cards themselves but only serve to trigger one's own insights???)

Jdance

HA HA, Just had one happen today!

so yesterday I asked, what can I expect of tomorrow?

and got STORK / CROSSROADS.... I'm thinking.. ooooo change in a new direction.. some thing cool like that.

NO! I'm driving to work, and there is a slight detour, because a STORK nest has fallen out of a lamppost and on to the road and they were trying to deal with the mess on the road as it was huge....

LOL>:thumbsup::bugeyed:

Teheuti

Love the plumbing snake and the stork nest on the road. Those are so great!

MandMaud

The keywords are supposed to be literal! At least, that's how I read Lenormand. A bit of interpretation on top of that helps - for instance, in a recent case where someone lost a credit card, she drew Anchor+Mountain = fixed or stuck in something big and obstructive. The card was stuck in an ATM machine. That's a literal meaning of the keywords but not of the images. But that's the normal way that Lenormand is read - so I guess you could say that all readings are literal ones. (Unless you are using Lenormand as a psychic oracle where the 'meaning' may have little to do with the cards themselves but only serve to trigger one's own insights???)

That's exactly what i meant - except that in my case, NOT all readings are literal ones because with most of mine, so far, I can't make out what the cards are referring to at all! :laugh: For example I drew the tower this morning, for which I think "authority" or "oversight" (as in overseeing, not omitting). Maybe by the end of today I'll have been given an overview of something or spoken to someone in authority, but very often I remain stumped. So when I do get a reading with the keywords working literally like that, I rejoice!

I remember that one! And I love the stork's nest one too.