J. Daniel Gunther Australian Seminar October 2010

Grigori

Hi folks,

I just saw details of an upcoming Australian seminar from J Daniel Gunther, author of "Initiation into the Aeon of the Child". It's an AA event, being conducted by OTO Australia in Sydney in October.

Attached is a flier with the full details.

Has anyone seen Gunther teach in person before? I wonder what kind of presenter he is. I had to miss out on the Brisbane Tarot Conference recently as I was away on a work trip, am thinking to try and wangle a work trip to Sydney in October to make up for that...

Attachments

• A5 EFLYER_PUBLIC.pdf
    265.2 KB · Views: 194

thorhammer

Thanks, Grigori :) I will start saving and try my hardest to make it. His book is really something else.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

I'd love it if you could come Kat, it would be good to have some company. And I might try to stay a day or two longer and schedule some time to run amok ;)

Just found there are details online also.
http://www.otoaustralia.org.au/events/index.php

Looks like the venue is right in the heart of the city, near Martin Place train stop. Easy to get to, though I don't like staying in the city in Sydney, all the good food and shops are away from the CBD.

thorhammer

ROFL I can't afford to eat good food any more :laugh: and shops are those places you buy non-good-food, not places to go for fun :D I'll investigate closer to the time. Meanwhile - time to start watching the airline sites!

I would so love for us Aussie Thothies to all meet up for it! You and me, Lilija, ravenest, Jujustar . . . wouldn't it be a hoot!

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Ah but you see, the city food is bad an expensive. Or you can choose from one of over 100 different McDonalds locations that are.. well... bad and expensive.

Just a little ways out though, there are gourmet heavens that are also affordable. It would be great if a few of us could attend, I'd love to meet so many of you in person!

ravenest

Not at those prices, with banquet extra (not including drinks). And at a pub? Nah, a country conference centre would be more to my liking and I could cook up a storm of cheap yummies.

Grigori

Well day 1 is over and looking forward to day 2 tomorrow. It's been a great seminar so far, Daniel is a good presenter, and it's really clear from his presenting style how carefully thought out his teaching is, and how precise the terminology of his book is.

Today we looked at the formula of the averse, and spent a lot of time on the Kerubim in various traditions, relating them also to the powers of the sphinx, and the tarot cards that correlate. He also shared several insights into the RWS deck, in addition to many from the Thoth. There will be some more specific material in his next book on the Kerubim in the Thoth deck, though that book won't come out till 2012. The seminar has been recorded and may be mass released around that time also (listen for the sneezing, that was me :laugh: )

He spent the afternoon on Liber 65, Heart girt with a Serpent and looked at a lot of the precursors to thelemic ideas which was really illuminating also.

Part 2 in the morning!

Aeon418

Grigori, has Gunther touched on the subject of A.'.A.'. lineage? I've heard that he annoyed a few people during his lecture tour of the USA by openly stating what was implied in Wasserman's preface to his book.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Grigori, has Gunther touched on the subject of A.'.A.'. lineage? I've heard that he annoyed a few people during his lecture tour of the USA by openly stating what was implied in Wasserman's preface to his book.

No, he did mention as part of another conversation the track of his own lineage, and I overheard the end of a conversation that went along the lines of "he says he is with the AA but he is most definitely not" though I don't know who he was referring to.

I'm not really familiar with the whole succession arguments, so its entirely possible it was made clear and I didn't notice :laugh:

Grigori

Day two was excellent also. He devoted a large part of the day to the idea of a Thelemic messiah, and what/who that would be, and a preview of the material for his next book on the Angel and the Abyss, which also gave me an answer I was looking for (though that's my opinion and not his).

I re-read the first half of the book on the plane on the way home, and much of the lecture was verbatim from the book, but in person he went into some more detail, clarified things he left vague in the book and it was a lot clearer to me. Rereading the book now it's so much clearer and I'm getting more from it.

I'd recommend seeing him to anyone who gets the chance. I was surprised there were several people at his lecture who had traveled from overseas, even from the UK who attended. He did say he is taking time off from traveling to get the next book finished in a year or so, so if you get a chance to see him before then I would recommend it.

Also of interest, at the bar afterwards, I heard some interesting things about one of our very own AT members... (mwhahahahah Ravenest ;) )