The Tower, Worse Rx or Upright ?

Nikita_

Hi everyone, I sometimes wonder about this, and I'd like to hear how you see this...some say that, when the Tower is reversed in a reading, it somehow lessens its traumatic impact...Others say that, much like Death, it's even worse when it's reversed, because it means there's a resistance to to the major structural changes which are necessary and required under the circumstances, in order to move forward....
What do you think ?

Moonshiner

Hi everyone, I sometimes wonder about this, and I'd like to hear how you see this...some say that, when the Tower is reversed in a reading, it somehow lessens its traumatic impact...Others say that, much like Death, it's even worse when it's reversed, because it means there's a resistance to to the major structural changes which are necessary and required under the circumstances, in order to move forward....
What do you think ?

I personally don't use reversals but from my understanding it would signify the negative attributes of the card or imply that there is some delay or blockage preventing that situation from happening. It can pose as a warning 'this may happen if you don't...' or indicate that it's in the works of happening but not quite yet. Seeing how The Tower is already a 'negative' card it may be the opposite of that indicating a lesser degree of the negative meanings if not a positive thing. It can state that 'this isn't happening and you now realize that so relax'.

It all goes into context. Look at the surrounding cards to justify it's meaning and reflect back to the question you asked.

Thirteen

Reversals, to me, are always "this is wrong"—otherwise, why be reversed? ;) I mean, it's not like you get the Moon reversed and that means it's opposite, a bright, sunny day (that's what the Sun card is there to indicate). Whatever the card means, it still means that reversed. It's just that it's not being allowed to complete it's job like it would be upright. So the Tower rx doesn't, to me, mean that the fall is slowed down or less shocking. It's just not able to give you what it needs to give you.

But I think there's a larger problem here that should be addressed. Which is viewing some cards as bad, negative or scary. You say "it's like Death even worse when rx..." Well, wait. Is Death really that terrible and scary? Yes, it's *sad*...but there are people who say, "Oh, what a relief that he passed on. He was suffering so..."

And what about the Tower? You see that and "OMG!" you freak. But the Tower only says that you will be "shocked" by some truth. It'll shake you up. But, wouldn't a surprise birthday party do that? :D Yes, the Tower says you'll be shocked, shaken up, gain a new perspective. But it *does not* say that this will ruin your life, devastate you or even hurt you. It might. But learning that something was not as you thought it was, finding out that you're not going out to dinner tonight but rather having a surprise birthday party at home with all your family, might well leave you happy rather than dismayed.

I'm not saying you should look forward to Death or the Tower. They usually signal a difficult adjustment. But that doesn't mean that after they're done you won't be grateful and happy to have gone through them. Stronger, better, renewed. Seeing them only as an upset and nothing more is giving the short shift to these cards. And makes readers want to get the reversed of these cards because they hope it means "not so bad." If, however, you don't assume that these cards are "bad" then you'll want to ask your deck "How can I turn this reversed Tower right-side-up?" Because you'll know that the rewards of upright Tower are worth all you need to go through to gain them. Yes? Maybe?

Nikita_

Whatever the card means, it still means that reversed. It's just that it's not being allowed to complete it's job like it would be upright. So the Tower rx doesn't, to me, mean that the fall is slowed down or less shocking. It's just not able to give you what it needs to give you.

I think this is the core of the issue I was addressing....yes...like I thought, the Tower Rx is a shocking, devastating, traumatic event or thruth whose value unfortunately is lost....all that destruction and debris for ...nothing....?

Nikita_

But I think there's a larger problem here that should be addressed. Which is viewing some cards as bad, negative or scary. You say "it's like Death even worse when rx..." Well, wait. Is Death really that terrible and scary? Yes, it's *sad*...but there are people who say, "Oh, what a relief that he passed on. He was suffering so..."

And what about the Tower? You see that and "OMG!" you freak. But the Tower only says that you will be "shocked" by some truth. It'll shake you up. But, wouldn't a surprise birthday party do that? :D Yes, the Tower says you'll be shocked, shaken up, gain a new perspective. But it *does not* say that this will ruin your life, devastate you or even hurt you. It might. But learning that something was not as you thought it was, finding out that you're not going out to dinner tonight but rather having a surprise birthday party at home with all your family, might well leave you happy rather than dismayed.

I'm not saying you should look forward to Death or the Tower. They usually signal a difficult adjustment. But that doesn't mean that after they're done you won't be grateful and happy to have gone through them. Stronger, better, renewed. Seeing them only as an upset and nothing more is giving the short shift to these cards. And makes readers want to get the reversed of these cards because they hope it means "not so bad." If, however, you don't assume that these cards are "bad" then you'll want to ask your deck "How can I turn this reversed Tower right-side-up?" Because you'll know that the rewards of upright Tower are worth all you need to go through to gain them. Yes? Maybe?

This is a never ending dilemma, the "positive" versus "negative" cards question....of course, those are very human terms to describe them, but it is undeniable that, for the human experience, the death of a loved one is a devastating, negative moment; anyone who has lost someone they loved very much knows how shattering the realization that YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT PERSON AGAIN is....yes, in an ideal world, and among very evolved beings, we should be able to live death, illness, or any sort of ending as a part of life, and beautiful as such, but alas, most of us are only human, and here to learn....

Thirteen

I think this is the core of the issue I was addressing....yes...like I thought, the Tower Rx is a shocking, devastating, traumatic event or thruth whose value unfortunately is lost....all that destruction and debris for ...nothing....?
For nothing? Imagine you're happily living in your beautiful apartment building. One day, while you're out, there's a big earthquake. You rush back and OMG! The building has collapsed! It turns out that this nice seeming structure wasn't well built at all. In fact, it was made of shoddy materials, badly put together, rotting from within. You learn that the ceilings could have collapsed on you at any time, the floors fallen out from beneath your feet.

But thanks to this earthquake (which, yes, unfortunately has left you temporarily without a home), you're escaped a trip to the hospital. Now, unfortunately, you have to start over again...but at leas this time you'll be sure your new place is well made and won't put your life at risk, and won't come down even in an earthquake.

Is that for nothing? :confused:

Thirteen

but it is undeniable that, for the human experience, the death of a loved one is a devastating, negative moment; anyone who has lost someone they loved very much knows how shattering the realization that YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT PERSON AGAIN is....
Granted. It's "negative." It's sad, it's hard, and we don't want to go through it. But, in lieu of a person...imagine this hang-out we love. It's gotten old and tired and it may well be time for it to close. We'll be sad, but we may also have to realize that the "best" times we had in that place are long gone. And we may find that what takes it's place brings us new good times, different from the old, but equally wonderful.

Would you really want to forego those potential, new good times simply to keep that old thing limping along? It's food and drink no longer what it was, the place itself falling apart, and those working there lacking energy and joy?

My point is, Death doesn't just say that something is ended. It says that something new will fill the niche. It won't be the same, and maybe you won't be as happy with it. But there's always the possibility that you will be amazed and even more happy. If you hold onto that reversed Death, keeping the thing you used to love from going, you'll never get a chance to see what fills in the niche. Never get a chance to find out if it's as wonderful (if different) than the thing you lost.

People who do that end up as living ghosts, forever living in the past, never moving on, never taking joy in the now...that's not living, and frankly, no one wants to hang with them. They're depressing ;)

ravenest

At least if it is upside down the people will fall out easier.

ravenest

but it is undeniable that, for the human experience, the death of a loved one is a devastating, negative moment; anyone who has lost someone they loved very much knows how shattering the realization that YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT PERSON AGAIN

I totally agree ... but ,for me, that experience, feeling and process I cant relate to the Tower at all. It was a totally different devastation. I suppose it depends on the individual though.
For me there was no 'opening eye' , lightning bolt (I'm being figurative) or Mars feeling energy.

{ Oh! Here is a good description - http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=223969 @ #2.

PAMUYA

What do you think ?

Most of the times that the Tower has been reversed for me on readings it turns out as something life changing but more in way that is easier for them to handle, they were already prepared, knew it would be happening, or shocking news that they have a good cry and handle it.

My mother died of a sudden heart attack a few years ago, yes it was a shock, but she was in the late stages of lung cancer which had spread to her bones. She was in so much pain and drugged up, having her pass so quickly I felt was a gift from god. It was shocking, we didnt get to say good bye, but we knew it was her time, this to me is a reversed tower moment.

The tower does not have to mean death, I had a reading where a client got the reversed tower that came up in the future spot, a week later she found out her unmarried young daughter was prengnant. Shocking yes, once she settled down and the baby was born she is now a proud grandma. Some might think this is not a Tower moment, when you are married to a minister it is a tower moment.

For me the tower up right is as poweful as it gets, something that rocks you to your core, changes your life, an adjustment to your reality. As said earlier by Thirteen the stark, naked truth. Something you cannot hide from. For me a reversed card's energy is weakened, that is how I personally read them, everyone has their own experiences with reading.