how much of crowley in the thoth tarot ?

Lillie

It would have been a whole different book if his parents had helped!

ravenest

Nininka said:
Is there a good website that sums it up for a not very "occult art" knowledgable person ?
Yes. Right here. If you read through the threads I believe you will get a good perspective of the pros and cons of AC.

(And also insights into why certain people think the way they do about him ;)

Zephyros

I think that we must separate the man from his creation. If we begin to judge the great geniusus of our age, we will never read anything, or do anything. Like Lillie said so wonderfully, Aleister Crowley was a human being, as we all are and should be. Perhaps he made mistakes on the way, and perhaps he really was a bad man, but in the end this does not matter.

Hemingway was a drunk, Oscar Wilde was a closet homosexual who was put in jail for his practices, Poe was manic depressive... the list goes on and on and on... The problem with raising anyone on a pedestal is that we forget that they were human, and flawed, and then proceed to judge them far too harshly. While I would not read "Mein Kampf", Hitler did indeed do great things, and abominable things during the course of his life. But I digress. He was a truly evil man.

isthmus nekoi

For all of Thoth's associations, I like what Harris said about the creation process of the deck:

"I have never tried to paint them w/the help of automatic writing, trances, seances, mediums, autosuggestions, drugs, absent treatment, Yoga, meditation, mysterious masters or any other emotional approcah of inspiration. They are the result of hard work, honest investigation and common sense, which I believe are the true magics and were done in the open air and sunshine of the country."

[quote from: Robert Wang's The Qabalistic Tarot]

manhattan9thgate

interesting question, seperating the artist from his-her creation.

that happens in music too, you may love the compostion and then you begin having second thoughts when you read the biography of their life and the idealized picture you have of what you once revered is shattered.

ravenest

A genius, by definition, is bound to be different from the majority.