2009 Llewellyn deck, Wizards Tarot

shadowdancer

FaireMaiden said:
The Courts are just plain flat

And the Minors, while alright artistically, have nothing whatsoever to do with the 'Wizardry' promised in the Majors, or, am I missing something here?

QUOTE]

I think I know what yu mean. The Majors I thought were quite good in their own right, and would have made an interesting Majors only deck. There seems to be no indication of dynamism or energy with the remaining cards. As you say they seem to be a little flat. I am not sure if that is in main due to the art style used? There seems to be no expression shown on the faces of the characters, which worked for the Majors section, but not sure it works for the rest of the deck.

I hate to criticise works in progress, as I know how much effort and energy goes into such a creation. I think it is because the promise of the early stages got me excited, and that hasn't followed through.

Davina

Shade

Thems be some interesting looking courts.

Reptile people and gnomes is pretty creative but I think I'm one of those very shallow people that has a hard time getting excited about those gnomes. I don't need everyone to be a stunner... the very plain looking people in the Druidcraft courts are just fine by me. But there's a difference between the pleasantly handsome looking Druidcraft Queen of Pentacles and this undercooked potato of a person. Rather than ask her for guidance about matters of the material world I'd rather just drop change in her crown and keep walking.

If the artist is still reading this... I apologize... we can be brutal I know. I think the majors were rather pretty and I think with the minors I'm really the problem. I can't get past the surface... scales. I'm shallow it's true.

Edited to say: I take it back, I was wrong, the very gnomish gnomes are perfect for the court. I have changed!

AnneLien

Wow, I really really like this one!!!!
Is on my wishlist!

whipsilk

While I'm not terribly excited by this deck, I want to put in a minority opinion for the Pentacles courts - I love the determined ugliness of these folk - and, yes, I would take advice from any of them in a second! It's VERY refreshing to see courts who almost revel in their paunchy-ness, their homeliness.

Especially contrasted with the gorgeous Knight of Cups - one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen in a tarot court (of course I'm a sucker for smooth-chested, long-haired men).

I have to admire this kind of diverse characterization; the Pentacles and KoC alone almost make me want to buy this deck, but the whole Potterness of the Majors just puts me off a bit too much.

JennyNY39

This has been on my wishlist forever. But after viewing the minors, there is yet another one to bite the dust :(