5 decks to start a collection with?

JackofWands

I agree with the RWS/Thoth/Marseilles combo. Even if your friend is looking to start reading, rather than just collecting, the Marseilles and Thoth decks can provide good next-step challenges for intermediary and advanced readers.

After that, I would say one deck in the RWS tradition but with non-traditional artwork (e.g. Light Visions, Shadowscapes), and, as RiverRunsDeep suggested, a "themed" deck.

SarahJoy

Marseille, RWS (PCS Centennial), and Thoth, plus:
- one easy-to-read RWS variant, like Sharman Caselli or Fenestra (might not be their favorite style)
- one RWS-inspired deck with a theme or art style they love, like Prisma Visions, Housewives, Steampunk, etc. (might not be easy to read)
Bonus deck: International Icon

Caveat: if they're already into the Thoth, I'd substitute two Thoth-inspired decks.

Essence of Winter

A friend asked me what 5 decks to start a Tarot collection with?
I suggested of course the 3 first in each "form" one Marseille, one Rider-Waite and one Thoth.
And the other 2, one deck that she really likes and one that she don't like at all.

What 5 decks would you suggested?

1. Original Rider or PCS edition.
2. Thoth.
3. Marseilles.
4. Dame Fortune's Wheel.
5. Wildwood.

jema

Tarot pf Prague
BBCats
Victorian Romantic
Boho Gothic
and finally ALICE of course :-D

Libra 58

Thank you all for your answers of different decks. I honestly don't know why she asked me that question, maybe just for an hypothetic answer. I know she has some decks that she is reading with, but she's a beginner like me.

Le Fanu

Pierre Madenié
A Rider Waite
Thoth
Book of Thoth Etteilla (Los)
Then one that she just loves because...

gregory

The three basics (TdM, THoth, RWS) As a collector or as a reader - those are must haves.
One she really likes.
And as someone brilliantly suggested - one chosen by a friend. That may turn out to be the one that DOES it for her.

I think things like MRP decks are definitely "later" sort of stuff. Seh may not enjoy tarot at all; they aren't cheap, and they aren't as easy to sell on as they used to be.

reall

top 3 are classic RWS, CT, M!:))
and for collection add something popular like one of angel/fairy by D.V
and something modern/ abstract like Osho Zen or Transurfing Tarot?!:))
or something like this http://mutationtarot.com/tarot-deck.html

Zephyros

I think five decks for a beginner is a bit rich, myself. Why five? Why that number? What is a beginner supposed to do with them? What happened to starting with one, slowly, and then branching out?

Three would make more sense, although that's quite a lot in itself. Five seems too many and an unnecessarily arbitrary number.

JackofWands

I understand what you're saying, but I think that it can also be immensely stressful as a beginner to start with only one deck, because there's the pressure of choosing the "right" deck. Starting with a small collection of decks that work well together eases that pressure.