5 Positives about Lo Scarabeo decks

Papageno

Abrac said:
At least with those multilingual titles you know instantly it's a LS deck. If they were going for brand recognition they certainly succeeded there.

not all their decks have multilingual titles.......Tarot of The Secret Forest, just off the top of my head is discreetly numbered but LS in this case completely omitted all titles.

The (Etteilla) Libro di Thoth is a faithful reproduction with no distracting additions.

Rosanne

I have 8 Lo Scarabeo decks.
5 of them are in my top 20 deck case- that is high stats.
I am pleased that there is a publisher with points of difference.
I can name the Majors & suits in different languages.
The Tarot boxes are sturdy.
The choices by the publisher seem to show a good deal of thought are not just churned out.
~Rosanne

RiccardoLS

Is that girl “pretty”?
She is “pretty smart”.

I really must say how I felt really demotivated reading on this thread.
The fact that the core praise I can find on LS decks is the quality of the carstock… is sort of… empowering my bitterness.
For a little while - I beg your perdon - I will make myself scarce on this forum (exception any communication I’m asked to give by LS).
Reason: it does drain me of a lot of energy and motivation. :(

ric

Alta

RiccardoLS said:
[Reason: it does drain me of a lot of energy and motivation. :(

ric
Yes, I can understand that you would feel that way. Personally feel sorry about it, but that's just one person.

I do appreciate your presence and like the LS decks and have said so often.

But truly understand why continually reading criticism would be de-motivating and draining.

My very best to you,
Marion

Papageno

RiccardoLS said:
Is that girl “pretty”?
She is “pretty smart”.

The fact that the core praise I can find on LS decks is the quality of the carstock… is sort of… empowering my bitterness.
For a little while - I beg your perdon - I will make myself scarce on this forum (exception any communication I’m asked to give by LS).

ric

I think you have misinterpreted the sentiment on this thread, which from what I can tell is very positive regarding the distinguishing qualities of Lo Scarabeo tarots.

I realise you would probably prefer more discussion of the various artistic styles Scarabeo offers, which is an impressive spectrum of original artwork,
but people are also acknowledging the excellent quality of your printing, card stock and boxes bcause they are a welcome relief from the shoddy products some of your competitors are selling.

AJ

I don't know where Ric's quote came from, I don't see it anywhere in the thread, and I feel awful that after all the slagging threads this one may cause him to leave the forum.

Most of the posts mention the cardstock because without it we don't have a deck. Without the cardstock we have a auto with no steering wheel.

I sincerely apologize if Any of my remarks caused distress. I'll give myself a weeks detention of no posts to the forum.

baba-prague

RiccardoLS said:
Is that girl “pretty”?
She is “pretty smart”.

ric

I'm sorry to hear this Ric - your contributions here are very much valued by many of us. Please don't stay away for long.

We deal with criticism in our own way - I read it and Alex doesn't - LOL. But while I do think criticism can in fact be very useful (and feedback - for example, it was only the constant urging by people here that persuaded us to start making tarot bags - I thought there was not much demand!) I also understand that LS has come in for rather a lot of negativity recently and it's a shame. Over the last years you've produced some really good, brave and useful decks - we ought to remember that.

(ps - cardstock? Don't even talk to me about cardstock :joke:)

teomat

RiccardoLS said:
Is that girl “pretty”?
She is “pretty smart”.

ric
I'm sorry you feel this way.

Although I'm not so keen on the multi-languages you use on your decks, I highly praise the historical decks you have produced (especially my favourite, the Ancient Italian - dare I say, my 'perfect' deck in terms of design and quality).

I'm also looking forward to your Pirates deck, and think it's great that you have such a wide range of decks and styles.

Lillie

RiccardoLS said:
Is that girl “pretty”?
She is “pretty smart”.

ric

That's ...... ???

The card stock is so important!

Cards are for reading, you can't read them if they don't shuffle, or if they bend when you try.

You need to have confidence in a deck, and if you are terrified of touching it then how can you read with confidence?

Also, how ever it sounds from this thread, no one buys a deck just cos it's on nice card.

Oh, is a horrid deck, but I got it for the card it's printed on...
No one ever says that.
They get the cards because they like the art or the theme, and then they appreciate the stock.

No one is saying they like the art best on an LS deck because that just goes without saying.
No one would buy a deck if they didn't like it.

But everyone likes different stuff, different art.

So one person might like the Manga tarot, one person might like the Fey.
The fact that they like them is spoken for by the fact that they have them and they are mentioning them on this thread.

The card stock, the boxes, the size, these are all the extras that make a deck you like into a deck that you use a lot.
A deck that you can have confidence in.

In fact, in the case of LS, it means that you can buy with confidence if you like the art.
You know that the deck will be good and will be usable.

Which is so important.

It really is.

I know that reading this thread it sounds like the only thing people like about your decks is the card stock.
But that's obviously not true.

It's just what makes a beautiful deck into a beautiful and usable deck.

And think of this.
People wouldn't know the card was nice if they didn't buy the decks.
And they wouldn't know that the card was nice all the time if they didn't buy a number of decks.
And they wouldn't buy them if they didn't like them for more than the card stock.

Decks on bad card are depressing.
You can't use them properly.

Grizabella

I'm totally flabbergasted! I started this thread because I wanted to make a very positive thread about Lo Scarabeo decks and now I come here and find Riccardo leaving the forum because of it! :(

Riccardo, I didn't glean the "only the cardstock" assessment from reading all these posts and I've read every single one. What I got from the thread was a lot of positive responses about wonderful decks that people love to use. Partly because of the cardstock, maybe, but for lots of other reasons, too.

Cardstock is extremely important in a deck, though. So is size. LS decks that I have are a dream in both departments. Those things are especially important to someone like me who has small hands as I do. I also have a neurological condition that affects my hands and makes using decks very hard if they're too big and too stiff to shuffle.

There are lots of LS decks I don't like and don't want to use, but on the other hand, I've put a bunch of them on my wishlist. There are lots and lots of US Games decks I don't like--ditto for Llewellyn and other publishers. There are lots and lots of US Games and Llewellyn decks that don't make it to the "favorite" lists of all the members here, as well. If I'd made a thread about them or many other publishers, the same thing probably would have happened. I guarantee you, though, that their cardstock and/or size wouldn't have been a top factor.