Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

CornissMagorniss

Thanks. Everything else I've read about it is just too hyperbolic and full of praise to be believed. "Busy and large, with a poorly-written LWB" is at least an opinion, not just a rave.

Chimera Dust

Any thoughts on the Albano-Waite?

GlitterNova

Labyrinth Tarot. I need an honest opinion. I love the atmosphere of the Major Arcana. But then there are those pips...and those huge borders... Is it worth it?

GlitterNova

Also, the PCS Centennial Deck/Commemorative Set. I quite like the slightly aged look and coloring of the cards. How's the packaging and cardstock? How does this stand up to other RWS decks? Thanks!

Nemia

Also, the PCS Centennial Deck/Commemorative Set. I quite like the slightly aged look and coloring of the cards. How's the packaging and cardstock? How does this stand up to other RWS decks? Thanks!

I don't have any other RWS, the PCS was my first, but it's amazing. The packaging is beautiful - a very sturdy, shining, beautiful double box where all the goodies can be tucked away nicely. Lovely extras - postcards and pictures and a very interesting book about Colman Smith. It made me appreciate her for the first time as an artist and a person. (The Pictorial Key is available everywhere so it's less special.)

I really love this deck. No other RWS ever made me want to buy it. This one did.

The cards are beautifully colored (muted, unobtrusive) and IMO good quality cardstock. Solid and strong. Maybe they went a bit overboard with the lamination, but it must hold up to much use so I guess it's justified. They feel nice, look nice.

The only weak link is the organza bag. But I make new bags for my decks anyway. And the rest of the parcel is so good that this really shouldn't disturb you.

It's one of my best tarot purchases.

MaileSkye

PCS

I rarely use the PCS Centennial to read. I don't often read with a RWS deck, and the rare times I do, I find that I prefer my old, slightly worn out deck.

That said, I absolutely recommend getting the set. The book and art are absolutely worth it, even if you never read with the cards.

GlitterNova

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I've gone ahead and ordered the PCS Commemorative Set. I actually like the fact that it comes with a bag! I don't have any other means of storing a deck that doesn't come in a tuck-box, so that's a nice plus.

No one has any opinions on the Labyrinth Tarot?

Padma

No one has any opinions on the Labyrinth Tarot?

I don't have the deck, but intrigued by your post, and the lack of response for this one, I went and hunted down some info, which may or may not help you decide.

First, there is a video of all the card images on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pyu0QRQdqA

Second, there is our own trusty AT reviews to fall back on:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/labyrinth/review.shtml

For my own opinion on it, from an armchair point of view (in that I don't own it) I find it too dark with too much gratuitous nudity for my taste. The art is incredibly well done, though. But then art and tarot are both so subjective...! If you are really that attracted to it, why not just go for it? ;)

cardwitch

I don't have the deck, but intrigued by your post, and the lack of response for this one, I went and hunted down some info, which may or may not help you decide.

First, there is a video of all the card images on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pyu0QRQdqA

Second, there is our own trusty AT reviews to fall back on:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/labyrinth/review.shtml

For my own opinion on it, from an armchair point of view (in that I don't own it) I find it too dark with too much gratuitous nudity for my taste. The art is incredibly well done, though. But then art and tarot are both so subjective...! If you are really that attracted to it, why not just go for it? ;)

I've also had my eye on this deck, so I checked the youtube link. I'm desperately in love with the art style, but I'm really turned off by how hyper-sexualized the female characters appear. Is there out there who owns this deck that would like to weigh in? I'd also like to know more about the cardstock, and the size of the cards.