Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

foolMoon

New Century Tarot

What a great thread.

Could anyone do pros and cons of The New Century Tarot please? I got this deck recently but not quite sure what to make of it. Thanks.

Nemia

Harmonious Tarot?

A pretty fluffy nothing or useful for reading? What do you think? I feel much attracted to the gentle art of Walter Crane (childhood memories...) but i have no idea whether it works for a tarot deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/harmonious/

rachelcat

Harmonious

I really tried to like this deck. I love the artwork (even if it has a few too many fairies for my usual liking). It really is calming and soothing.

But, here's the con. There is a too-noticeable difference between the collaged? original artwork and the "created in the style of" artwork for them to co-exist in the same deck. In my opinion.

Maybe it wouldn't be too noticeable in the mini version? (My feeble attempt at a pro . . .) Also, I have mentioned this con to other people, and they haven't even noticed the difference at all, so maybe it's just me . . .

jolie_amethyst

Tyldwick...again....

I know, I know. But I cannot get it out of my head!

Very specific question for those who have the Tyldwick: a LOT of the online images appear to be very low in contrast, which makes it hard to see the details beneath the textures digitally overlaid on the pictures. In person, is that still the case?

Don't get me wrong, I love the grungy faded look...but scans like this one make me concerned I won't get much of anything at all out of some of these cards--which is fine if we were talking a $10 deck, but not when it's going to cost me around $100 between the exchange rate & shipping.

It just looks like such a perfect deck for working on some of the fiction writing spreads I'm doing. I wish I could play with one in person for even an hour, and then I'd know if it was worth the money!

So--enable OR de-enable me....!

Nica

So--enable OR de-enable me....!

Hey Jolie, I think you have similar taste to me in tarot

If you have a particular motive to use it, that should sustain a yes.

I waited for this deck for years, an often came back to the site to resend my number reservation and make sure the artist still planned to have it out. When I heard the announcement that the cards were going to be redone I was not thrilled, but I went with it.

When I held it in my hands, it felt regal but I did not connect to it in readings. It is a deck you need to hold to be sure about. You might want to do some scouting to try one out in person, even though it will not be the one "bonding with you." Seeing it in person is very different from scans. The gilded edges are luxurious.

Honestly, I'm just going to remind you that there are seldom human figures in the picture. You read off the energy in the room, imagining who was just in that room doing what.

I think Roger Le Fanu's review of Tyldwick will point you in the right direction. It is just a quick google search away. I don't remember much about the one I wrote on Samhain Moon, but you can feel free to check.

I have #16. It's gorgeous, but we still haven't clicked.

Good luck.

dancing_moon

Tyldwick Tarot

I don't have this deck, but you can check out the deck's site. It offers you to look through all the cards and even simulate a couple of spreads in the Explore -> Deal section. This should give you a taste of how you would read with it. :)

Dark Victory '39

re: new century

I ended up trimming my new. century; it didn't take that long given the cheap cardstock, and i'm glad i did as now when i do side by side layouts the card backgrounds blend and my readings go smoother. i'm in the process of trying to find a crackle glaze to add some depth. That said i really like this deck; i know it's been called autumnal, fairytale and old-world arty (at least the majors) and i agree w/ all that. Rich rich colors, and even though the details are quite small on the minors i find the interpretations unique, and from what i remember the lwb was unique too in that the author actually sounded like he wrote it. it's quite a small deck, now with the trimming, and its one of the few decks i use w/ a spread cloth-- ironically a deep blue w/ the same depth as the purple borders that i trimmed. what mostly bugged me abt the borders was actually the font of the titles, 80s and too big? i like it enough that i don't have to be in a particular mood for it, if that helps. in a way because it is so small i feel like it almost lends itself better to personal readings; if your goal is to use it w/ others, the small size is almost a little too small to point out details. i read the other thread where people were worried about, misogyny because of the depictions of kneeling women on the heirophant; none of that really ever occurred to me, and i'm pretty feminist. If anything i would describe it as a gentle and lush deck.

foolMoon

New Century Tarot

Cool. Thank you Dark Victory for your feedback regarding this deck. I have been using mine for a few days, and it seems giving me pretty good reading. It would have been a damn good deck if images were larger, but I use magnifier for these small decks, and they reveal all their details under it.

I also have noticed the points with the Hierophant card, and wondered about it, but doesn't bother me at all. Another great deck underrated. :)

CornissMagorniss

James Wanless Voyager Tarot--Worth the investment? Is it interesting, and how would it add to my perspectives? What's with the two different books?

Dark Victory '39

Voyager

I can't answer your question about the 2 different books, but for me the voyager was too visually overwhelming. So this is a thumbs down from me. I always hear it referred to as a wonderful reading deck because hand it to an 8 year old (or 80 yr old for that matter) and everyone will find a symbol in it to talk about; i.e. i hear it talked of as a good deck to draw your sitter into being involved in their own reading. i owned it for about 6 months when i was fairly new to tarot; so take this w/ a grain of something or other. i think you have to appreciate photo collage. I also didn't like the feel of the cards; too heavy? They are as you possibly know quite large, tho as a rule i love large decks. i just remember at the time finding it overwhelming for doing a celtic cross; granted i was new enough to tarot that i probably should have just been sticking to 3 card spreads. me no likey. Also, was turned off by wanless' writing in the lwb. Wish i could tell you now exactly why.