"Killing the Thoth Deck" -Mary Greer

Ross G Caldwell

Teheuti said:
BTW, some examples of Crowley's own tarot readings still exist. I don't have a copy of the published diaries but I'm sure one of you here must. In one of the editions are several readings followed by his comments. Could someone start a thread with these readings for study? They are very brief but we should be able to tease out his references.

Here's one Mary, from the Symonds/Grant "Magical Record of the Beast 666" (Duckworth, 1972, p. 94) for 4 Februrary, 1920 (he is in Paris):

"4 Feb. [Wednesday]. If I seek an Oracle, it is because I have literally nothing else to do.
General symbol for period 1 Feb. to 31 March: 8-S[words], Aleph [Trump], Shin [Trump], 2-S[words], 10-P[antacles].
I don't do any great work: I wait for events. I have a pleasant time, money comes to me. I invoke Bacchus Diphues and make a great decision. Shall I look for a new Vesica this afternoon? (One card only: P[rince of] W[ands] Air and Fire?)"

(the next entry shows he did in fact find a "new Vesica" that afternoon, in the form of an Italian prostitute named Eliane Vacari.)

So it is a five card spread; it is for the future; I don't discern any positional significations, but I'm rusty here. He is using the entire deck.
It's not clear to me whether he is using the Continental attributions or the GD ones, for Shin and Aleph.

If Bacchus Diphues is the Fool, then it seems to be Shin, the Continental attribution (he owned Wirth's trumps, but here he is using a whole deck, so it doesn't seem to be that deck). Or, the "great decision" might be Shin as Judgement (followed by 2 Swords) - the GD attribution. Thus Aleph is the Fool.

The "money coming" is obviously 10 Pentacles. Thus the not doing any great work is the 8 of Swords.

For the Vesica-seeking ("Air and Fire" I think should be understood as "Air of Fire" - the elemental attributions of the card), he obviously took that as a "yes".

Sophie

Nevada said:
I'm assumed to be a fluffy airhead if I say I don't think in-depth study of Crowley is necessary in order to use the deck. So who is judging whom?
I don't know where you got that idea from - for my part, I went out of my way to write that since you have at some point engaged with Crowley's material, as well as other material and your own intelligence and intuition, I wasn't aiming my arrows at you. I aim them at those who, having picked up the Book of Thoth and skimmed it, decide, on the strength of that cursory glance, that Crowley's writings are unecessary to study his deck. By your own words, and 20 years of familiarity, this isn't your case, even though you don't find Crowley easy-going or his writings very congenial (and that's OK, his style is pretty convoluted!) I'm sorry if something I wrote offended you, it wasn't my intention.

Nevada said:
Do you think Jung is "easy" reading?
No, I don't, and I don't think anyone on this thread or any other has said that. I'd say he's as difficult in his own way as Crowley (and having had appetising glimpses of The Red Book, I'd say even more difficult!).

Reading Jung is always profitable, if only because his way of thinking is penetrating and engages more than just our logical mind. But still, this isn't Jung's Tarot deck, it's Crowley's, so the imagery on the cards reflect Crowley's rather than Jung's worldview.

Sophie

Aeon418 said:
There comes a point in the process where you realise the question of origins is irrelevant. Only the work matters. But that's not much help to a novice, who might resist something that has an obviously mundane origin. An introductory myth can be a powerful tool that is capable of quieting the critical mind, while facilitating and enhancing the initial receptivity of teaching. It's medicine on a cube of sugar.
A useful analogy would be alchemy and the famous attempt to turn base metal into gold: by the time the alchemist realises it can't be done, he has progressed spiritually sufficiently to realise that it is his soul that has turned to gold in the process of transformation he has attempted in the material world. But had he known that at the outset, he might never have set off. That's probably why alchemy fell out of favour, eventually - the lie was rumbled to beginners. Those who were interested in the science took up chemistry, and those who were interested in soul transformation found other spiritual disciplines.

And interestingly, of course, Crowley integrated spiritual alchemy in the Thoth - indeed, regarding the deck as a symbolic representation of The Great Work.

It begs the question, though: if someone is using the deck purely as a reading tool and interpreting it subjectively, are they participating, in some way, in The Great Work? I can't help thinking that they are, however indirectly and unconsciously.

Aeon418

Nevada said:
I don't think anyone is denying that the cards present us with an image that comes from Crowley - as it's laid out on the cards. However many components of those images don't come from him, but from earlier sources. The combination of images is his.

Still I don't think one has to study the Book of Thoth or Crowley's other writings in order to get a meaningful reading from the cards.
To summarise: You can get something from the cards without reading the Book of Thoth. But this "something" stems directly from the original intent of Crowley, enshrined in the very specific composition of the images themselves. The Book of Thoth and Crowley's other writings are the original design plans. The blueprints, if you will.

But this brings into question the entire raison d'être which this thread is based upon. Namely, it is ok to ignore Crowley's blueprints in favour of Angeles Arrien's. But if the cards already speak for themselves, based on Crowley's original intent, how on earth can they communicate any of Angeles Arrien's intentions when she had nothing to do with the composition of the cards? Repeating myself but, you can't draw up a new and different set of building plans for a building that's already been built, unless your plans involve making physical changes to that building.

Somewhere along the way the hymn sheet seems to have been changed, and now a different and contradictory song is being sung. This thread is based on Teheuti's assertion that Angeles Arrien's book was a different but equally valid approach to the Thoth Tarot. The Book of Thoth was not required reading. To support this view Teheuti seized upon one little sentence in the Book of Thoth and gleefully declared it to be some kind of exemption clause. Good bye Crowley. Hello Arrien. And they all lived happily ever after.

But then the wind changed. Suddenly we learn that the cards already speak for themselves. And the only way they can do that is if they have been designed that way in the first place. So this begs the question: how can you consult someone else's design plans when they had no input in the original design process. You can't. (Unless you're willing to give up the notion that the cards speak for themselves and require no explanation.)

So what is this thread about, now that the original chair it was sitting on has been kicked out from under it.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
The idea of a mother sacrificing herself for her children is anti-thelemic. Don't sacrifice for and coddle them, teach them to stand up on their own two feet and be self sufficient!
You're almost there, but not quite. It's not self-sacrifice that is un-Thelemic, it is the significance which we traditionally place upon it that is un-Thelemic.

Sunrise and sunset still take place everyday, but it's significance is radically altered once you have been initiated into the knowledge of planetary rotation and the illusion of a moving sun. The great solar tragedy played out in many religions (Christianity being the most visible) is now seen as a mere defect of perception and a view of nature based on limited information.

If it were an expression of my Will to be a soldier, then a part of that Will is that I may be killed in combat. Traditionally we see this as a great and noble act of self-sacrifice. I have laid down my life so that others may live, and they are forever in debt to me and must not be allowed to forget it. Only by honouring and praising me will they be able to redeem themselves. I paid for them, now they must buy (redeem) themselves back. This is the whole point behind vicarious atonement.
On the contrary this act of self-sacrifice was really the fulfilment of my True Will to be a soldier. And I would be no more worthy of praise or blame than anyone else fulfilling their Will.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2012179&postcount=2

Aeon418

Read Crowley's explanation of the Hanged Man in the Book of Thoth. How counter intuitive that card must seem from the perspective of the Osirian ethic. Good job there's a companion text to explain it.

Ooops, sorry. I forgot. We don't need the Book of Thoth, do we? ;)

Scion

Actually, I almost mentioned the Hanged Man myself for exactly that reason. The Book of Thoth provides a wonderful exegesis, but the Harris painting seems like a pretty radiant depiction of Crowley's thoughts on the matter. Even without the Book of Thoth, looking at nothing but the painting, isn't Crowley's intent present and discernible on some level? The Book of Thoth (and other writings) will add tremendously to an understanding of what's there, but I still think that just looking at it, the core of the card comes through even before the companion text.

For that matter, is it possible to look at that card and see it as a positive depiction of dying-and-rising god sacrifice? The coldness of it, the facelessness of it, the drowned-ness of it. It has a nearly masturbatory masochism and self-involvement especially in the context of the other Trumps, but I'm a nutter so maybe that's me.

Aeon418

Scion said:
The Book of Thoth provides a wonderful exegesis, but the Harris painting seems like a pretty radiant depiction of Crowley's thoughts on the matter. Even without the Book of Thoth, looking at nothing but the painting, isn't Crowley's intent present and discernible on some level?
Yes, Crowley's intent is present in the card. But I very deliberately said it was counter intuitive from the perspective of the Osirian ethic, which is still the dominant reality tunnel for most people.

Scion

You did! And it is. :) I was just clarifying the original point.

Aeon418 said:
But then the wind changed. Suddenly we learn that the cards already speak for themselves. And the only way they can do that is if they have been designed that way in the first place. So this begs the question: how can you consult someone else's design plans when they had no input in the original design process. You can't. (Unless you're willing to give up the notion that the cards speak for themselves and require no explanation.)

So what is this thread about, now that the original chair it was sitting on has been kicked out from under it.
:) Indeed.

Actually this thread is ultimately a comment on Teheuti's blog entry which was her last word in an argument about a criticism of a book written by one of her teachers. To wit... a rebuttal of a rebuttal to a rebuttal of a crappy book.

Back in that old Arrien thread, the thing that was never explained... the thing that no one could ever offer was a single example of the ways that Arrien's approach offered utiity or wisdom. Once Teheuti had given up on defending Arrien, things sputtered to an inconclusion. (Arrien is a professor. Arrien is a "shaman." Arrien is nice. Arrien knows some smart people.) The trouble was, that beyond defending Arrien personally there isn't much sense in defending her book or her approach. Teheuti was defending a shaggy dog, more for emotional than logical reasons. It seems the only defense possible was to situate the Tarot Handbook not as a BOOK but as a MODE of approach. A Free-to-be-you-and-me masterclass on Arrien's brand new "repurposed" Crowley-scoured Thoth deck. So... Arrien got a LOT of things wrong, but gosh she sure does make folks feel free to "do what feels right" with the Thoth, which is "God's Picturebook," dontcha know. Why Arrien's mistakes are better than anyone else's own mistakes has never been explained (not in all these thousands and thousands of words), but Arrien is really-really-really cool so apparently her book deserves defense, however feeble and impossible. (Don't we all know cool people who've written shitty books? I certainly do.)

As you say Aeon, if Crowley's cards speak for themselves (which is the core argument of people who study cards without their author's companion texts), then anyone listening will find their way to Crowley's ideas, by hook or crook. His ideas (and Harris' slavish interpretation of same under his strict tutelage) are there in every pigment, point, and position. As I said earlier, if we took Arrien's advice and ignored all the books (including Arrien, please note) our "personal" experience of the Thoth will be our experience of Crowley as best we can manage it.

Still, the song HAS changed midverse, because Arrien's book is literally a book which exists to tell you to ignore books. It exists to prove itself unnecessary. The Blog entry from which this thread takes its title was about Teheuti's feeling that fundamentalists were crying heresy. The fact is, no one was crying heresy in that long ago thread. No one in either of these threads suggested you HAD to read Crowley-and-only-Crowley. But rather that reading Arrien was foolish, for BALES of reasons. And since even she had to admit the considerable flaws in Arrien's "enthusiastic" twaddle the only argument left was to claim that Arrien was a kind of intellectual freedom fighter, battling the hegemony of cruel Thelemites who want to keep the Thoth locked up.

Except no one has tried to lock the Thoth up. No one has said SHOULD or MUST about Crowley's writings or anything else. Several people have suggested those writings might be helpful, that perhaps Crowley knew something about the deck he created. Call me crazy. :rolleyes: Nevada felt personally attacked because the spectre of SHOULD hovered over this thread, even though it never appeared.
Greer's Blog KILLING THE THOTH said:
It saddens me that the fears and anger provoked by Angeles Arrien’s book indicate a deep mistrust that the Thoth deck can survive the common touch of the “masses,” or that it has any worth whatsoever outside of Crowley’s text. It is felt that the mistakes and misconceptions in Arrien’s book (of which there admittedly are many) could create a devastating sense of betrayal in those who eventually find out that Crowley intended something different. This supposedly-fearful juxtaposition, however, led me to a much deeper appreciation of Crowley, while Angie encouraged independence and freedom in how I work with the deck and its symbols (not a good thing to those who see Crowley as the absolute and only fundament).
Outside of this "KILLING THE THOTH" blog, where has anyone suggested that innocents approaching the Thoth somehow dirty it?! Or worse somehow "kill" it!?! Nowhere! That is a misleading fabrication coined outside of our forum discussion, in a private, protected venue in which debate would have seemed rude. No. At every point, Arrien's wretched, empty book was the concern, a fact which that blog entry carefully ignored by refiguring her text as a mode of approach rather than a source of real, reliable information. All the cries of "heresy" and "fundamentalism" in these threads and on the aforementioned blog entry are shadowboxing; no one else has asserted either. The anxiety was not about the masses "damaging" the Thoth, but ARRIEN damaging people's understanding. That exact concern was discussed at great pains in around a hundred thousand words of criticism and discussion, which that blog entry took great pains to misrepresent as fundamentalist shrieks of heresy... (n.b. away from the very people who were supposed to be shrieking).

STILL-STILL-STILL at no point has anyone offered a single word aboput the ways Arrien's Handbook offers utility or insight not found elsewhere. Even the much-vaunted method of approach credited to her is something she borrowed from other people who expressed it more cogently and clearly. Whatever Arrien's value as "encouragement" for people too nervous to look at the Thoth for themselves, it comes ("admittedly") in a swamp of mistakes and sentiment and psychobabble which pointedly reject Crowley while deigning to coopt the man's deck. :bugeyed: Arrien may be annoyed by it, but Crowley's deck IS a text by Crowley! Duh. :mad: The trouble is, Arrien's book is MUCH less interesting than the questions it's raised here. When people ask about it and are warned away that should be enough. The "do whatever, slop together" Jung-lite mode of study that Arrien supposedly offers to liberate people has been better expressed and more thoughtfully explained elsewhere.

The difficulty is that Arrien's book is more of a snapshot of a moment in New Age plagiarism, aka "repurposing" ancient symbols for E-Z consumption. Remember: Arrien loved the pretty pictures but didn't like Mean old uncle Al. So she decided these "ancient symbols" were given to her by God. Free-free-free of creator or intent. Crowley had nothing to do with them, only Harris did because she was a woman, and therefore instantly superior and selfless and sentimental. Again, a snapshot of a moment in New Age evolution: when every female statue is a goddess, when "9 million witches" were burned by the Church. :rolleyes: We now know that those claims are ludicrous because research and prudence has shown them so. Arrien's Me-me-me-generation self-help workbook is a cenotaph on a mode of pop-culture strip-mall esoterica: Blum's fabricated Runes; Shamans in subdivisions; Top-40 QBLH. Like charts by flat-earth theorists and Ussher proving Genesis began on 23 October 4004 BC, they are charming and ridiculous and fundamentally misguided... certainly not something you'd recommend to anyone seeking serious answers.
Aeon418 said:
This thread is based on Teheuti's assertion that Angeles Arrien's book was a different but equally valid approach to the Thoth Tarot. The Book of Thoth was not required reading. To support this view Teheuti seized upon one little sentence in the Book of Thoth and gleefully declared it to be some kind of exemption clause. Good bye Crowley. Hello Arrien. And they all lived happily ever after.
Even with the chair kicked out from under that emotional, misleading blog entry, even with seeming impossibility of Arrien's defense, I think this thread is actually about the rigor necessary to approach magickal decks directly. Nevada has read and sidestepped Crowley in working with the Thoth. The focus and determination to plumb the Thoth has led her to Jung, which has been helpful, and at times misleading. Rigor is the thing that opens the lock. By the same token, at some point each of us is opening our own Thoth and so each of us will approach it for ourselves in our own time, context, and ability. Apparently, Arrien did the same thing back in the 1970s, with largely poor results and the gall to present her mistakes as a Handbook.

By the same token, there are things in the deck which are completely Crowley; idiosyncratic symbols, reversals of interpretation, even personal metaphysics. Ignoring those things is impossible if you are looking at the deck; misunderstanding them is very likely without taking pains to follow the bones under the muscle under the skin. Crowley is there on every card, and everyone does as they Will. That's not to say anyone who pointedly ignores Crowley is a dilettante, but rather that they've put themselves on a hard road. They're STILL ingesting Crowley in a pretty indirect and complex fashion: as symbols interpreted and rendered by Harris in 78 paintings. If anything you could make a case for those people being braver because they have set themselves a terrible task. Maybe reading the Book of Thoth makes me lazy because I need Crowley's help to make sense of his work. Maybe the Gnosis afforded by contemplating the cards directly leads to a different understanding. I'll never know, but then neither would Crowley. We all bring our own knowledge with us to the party.

I think Crowley would have loved the attempts by clumsy sentimentalist authors like Arrien and Wagner and Ziegler to clean him up and exorcise him from his own work. Fluffy wiccans have tried the same thing with modern Witchcraft, which was almost entirely scripted by Crowley. He loved taking the piss. The Book of Thoth IS a "hindrance" to people who just want to look at the pretty pictures. For anyone who actually believes that it was "dashed off by Aleister Crowley, without help from parents," it seems likely "its perusal may be omitted with advantage" because they are obviously not paying much attention. Taking sarcasm as gospel is a mark of somehting, but I couldn't say exactly what in polite company.

So maybe this thread is about rescuing Crowley from his Arrienesque role as a "hindrance" to his deck for anyone who has interest in actually paying attention to the Thoth Tarot... and also a reminder that he has been there in the cards all along, laughing behind his cuff at the silly New Agers who tried to pull a pastel veil over him.

gregory

Aeon418 said:
To summarise: You can get something from the cards without reading the Book of Thoth. But this "something" stems directly from the original intent of Crowley, enshrined in the very specific composition of the images themselves. The Book of Thoth and Crowley's other writings are the original design plans. The blueprints, if you will.

But this brings into question the entire raison d'être which this thread is based upon. Namely, it is ok to ignore Crowley's blueprints in favour of Angeles Arrien's. But if the cards already speak for themselves, based on Crowley's original intent, how on earth can they communicate any of Angeles Arrien's intentions when she had nothing to do with the composition of the cards? Repeating myself but, you can't draw up a new and different set of building plans for a building that's already been built, unless your plans involve making physical changes to that building.
THAT is exactly what I was trying to say and failed..... She does say she is dealing with the Thoth deck; she uses and discusses the images in it - putting upon them her own interpretations of them. And it FEELS plain wrong.

The deck itself, when used for reading, doesn't evoke - for me at least - any of what she adduces in the book. It evokes something far stranger. As you might expect. })