BABALON and Τransubstantiation

ravenest

Okay then ... let's go through it bit by bit.

That is not so flattering for Babalon

I have never heard or known of a need for Babalon to be flattered
since Circe for the greeks has the worst meaning and symbolism. She transformed Odysseus brothers to pigs !

I am not going to do a full analysis on the meaning ... in any case I was more on about the cup and one's ability to change the formula inside it , but lets leave that as that is a minor side to what I meant to high light.

Κykeon has no relation to Circe.

?

" ... the drink is also mentioned in the Odyssey Book X when the sorceress Circe uses it,
mixed with honey, to make her potion." http://www.ancient.eu.com/Kykeon/

I am referring more to this aspect of the Kykeon;

" Kykeon is most famous, however, for its use in the Rites of Demeter at the city of Eleusis where it was used by initiates to experience the mystery of death and rebirth in the ritual which came to be known as The Eleusinian Mysteries. This mixture, however, differed significantly from the common drink in that it had psychoactive properties, most likely caused by the fungus Ergot on the barley gathered around Eleusis, which allowed initiates in the Mysteries to reach a fuller understanding of their purpose in life and to shed their fear of death; as testimonials from ancient writers who participated in the Mysteries attest. " http://www.ancient.eu.com/Kykeon/

Now have a look at the card again and read what crowley wrote about it. Also Crowley's Rites of Eleusis help to explain further; 7 rites (originally designed each with its own specific draught ) one for each planet ... one for each 'head'.

Hermes, the God of Reason, the Magician, has to do with that.

Good point and reminder ... all of this needs to be done with his assistance and 'association'.

The transformation to pigs symbolizes the passions that prevent them to arrive at Ithaca (symbol of the soul), and only Hermes saves them (Odyssey, K 285), so i suppose correctly i identify Babalon with Lilith.

Like I said, not going to analyze Greek myths here ... but I can go along with the idea about Lilith ... some aspects I see 'in ' Babalon can be equated to some I see in Lilith ... but I didnt want to go into that as they ARE different things and one cant substitute one for the other.

By the way, Circe = Church = Kirche (german). So beginning again to wonder if Blavatsky has right saying that Babalon (Babylon) just symbolizes the tyrannical Roman Catholic Church and nothing more. For a marxist though, all these symbolisms in Johns Apocalyplse were just political encryptions (Babalon was the ancient Rome) - it was natural for the christians of that time to display her as a bloody monster.

I totally agree with you there. But that doesnt mean that a Thelemite, or any one that uses the Thoth deck has to see Babalon that way. In this view some may have seen Margaret Thatcher as Babalon.

I see it like this; The 'inner church' and 'real Christians' see the false outer bullshit that got generated and took over the church as Babalon ... it became the 'system' . In this context it is also Ancient Rome ... the corrupt system of oppression

Heck ! Even I use that terminology ... when I am with Aboriginal friends at their camp and I need to go to town for supplies I might say to them , in a thick fake Rastafarian accent (you left out the Rasta reference to Babylon ;) ) ; " Mon ! Baldy got to go to Babylon ... who wants what? " Babylon is corruption.

There is another perspective from INSIDE the church ... the outside that is trying to break in is corruption - Babylon ... the forces that the corrupt church is trying to suppress THEY see as Babylon ; she is terrifying, she has evil forces at her command, ( thats an old one - of course, the woman cant be strong by herself ... she can never defeat, outfight or stop me ... if she does, she must have evil forces on her side ... a witch ! Burn her ! ... I can not be defeated by a woman , but the devil can do that - it is a very old stance. And worst of all (for the RCC hierarchy ) she is a woman !

Crowley saw Babalon as the forces that would overturn the power of the church and by that, decrease its hold on the world and the damage it does. yes, women will rise up to equality and yes, some men will support them and hopefully institutions like the RCC (and especially what has been revealed lately about that institution ) will collapse.

All power to her I say.

But remember, there are two sides to view what Babalon / Babylon is ... perhaps this is why confusion has arisen ?

I actually had hoped you would read the other references I supplied as well ... instead of just picking apart the first one ... which is fine ... as hopefully something was cleared up ? But if it IS transubstantiation you WERE interested in exploring you might find the references interesting and leading to clearer places of comprehension .

* Not just Marxists ... I heard a wonderful Black Preacher speak on the revelation of apocalypse and what it meant to them. The church was a true Christian fellowship and the ideals of the American nation , Babylon was the corruption that had come in, to do with all sorts of things but primarily racial prejudice and inequality. Martin Luther KIng was like Jesus and the final outcome of equality and acceptance was the 'New Jerusalem ' that would 'descend' from 'heaven'.

ravenest

Mystery Babalon is also a way of talking about the old mysteries, magical sciences and religions ... the church doesnt like that either

http://the_wordbride.tripod.com/babylon.html

Also;

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/...r=White&height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true

http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1140

WARATAH BLOSSOMS
(from The Book of Lies, by The Master Therion)

" Seven are the veils of the dancing girl
in the harem of It.
Seven are the names
and seven are the lamps beside Her bed.
Seven eunuchs guard Her with drawn sword;
No man may come nigh unto Her.
In Her wine-cup are seven streams of blood
of the Seven Spirits of God.
Seven are the heads of The Beast whereon She rideth.
The head of an Angel: the head of a Saint:
the head of a Poet: the head of an Adulterous woman:
the head of a Man of Valour: the head of a Satyr:
and the head of a Lion-Serpent.
Seven letters hath Her holiest name; and it is

This is the Seal upon the Ring that is on the Forefinger of IT: and it is the Seal upon the Tombs of them whom She hath slain.
Here is Wisdom. Let Him that hath Understanding count the Number of Our Lady; for it is the Number of a Woman; and Her Number is An Hundred and Fifty and Six. "

7 - Venus ....

Venus - the Latin root 'venes' - with Latin 'venenum' (poison, venom), in the sense of "a charm, magic philtre". Late Old English, from Latin Venus (plural veneres), in ancient Roman mythology, the goddess of beauty and love, especially sensual love, from venus "love, sexual desire; loveliness, beauty, charm; a beloved object," But from our root language and culture ( Proto-Indo-European - Avestan) root 'wen' - to strive after, wish, desire (cognates: Sanskrit veti "follows after," vanas- "desire," vanati "desires, loves, wins).

BUT in Avestan; vanaiti "he wishes, is victorious," vayeiti "hunts;" Lithuanian veju "to hunt, pursue;" Old Church Slavonic voji "warrior;" Old English waþ "hunting," wynn "joy," wunian "to dwell," wenian "to accustom, train, wean," wyscan "to wish;" Old Norse veiðr "chase, hunting, fishing").

Interesting connections there. ;)

ravenest

Nuit - Star .... Babalon. Daughter of Babalon the Beautiful - Saturn (Binah) - The Universe. Babalon, the 'new ruler of the world' Venus - The Empress . Her emissary - The High Priestess - The Moon .... coming to central pillar (under the SUN ) makes her 'Priestess of the Sun' together with the 'Thereion - Beast with 7 heads - 'Priest of the Sun'

http://theblogofbaphomet.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/priest.jpg

MasterJm

You didn't convince me about Babalon and all that thelemic cult. Aditionally i suggest you to read more carefully the Odyssey. Then maybe you will see that Circe is the perfect symbol of misdirection, deception and black magik, exactly like Lilith. Very dark and evil, transformating their brothers to pigs, making him grieve and delaying his travel to Ithaca. Kykeon isn't refered in K 235: "She made them forget their homeland". That is what it says. The homeland is Ithaca, and everybody knows that Ithaca symbolizes the Soul, their destiny.

ravenest

MasterJim - I'm not trying to convince you of anything ... I gave multiple different examples ... in an attempt to widen the field. I was trying to explain how some Thelemites might view it ... not present a dogmatic view of 'how it is'. The type of view or archetype depends on the type of interpretation.

If my first ref was wrong ( it happens - like in post #3 ) ... what about the other ones and the cup itself, the 'Eleusinian Rite', your statement that Circe had nothing to do with the Kykeon and my counter ref. there? .... but maybe that doesnt matter. Maybe you had come to your own conclusions anyway ... maybe even before you started the thread?

PS. I like going into Greek myth and would be happy to work through an analysis of it but too OT here for that. I would be happy to join in discussion in another thread about that ... perhaps in Spirituality or Chat forum here ... there are one or two threads about other Greek myths already up aroundvarious places here.

Richard

Probably Crowley first heard of Babalon via the Plymouth Brethren. Although John's Apocalypse points to pagan Rome, the PB interpret most of this book eschatologically: Babalon represents the enemies of the 'true faith'.

Abrac

MasterJm, in your original post you said, "Some theosophists are teaching that 156 is the number of transubstantiation..." Is there any way you can contact the theosophists you're talking about and ask them what they mean? The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. :)

Or could you quote something here to give some context to their teaching?

Richard

I'm not clear on whether MasterJm is referring to transubstantiation or transmutation. Why would theosophists be interested in transubstantiation?

Zephyros

I'm not clear on whether MasterJm is referring to transubstantiation or transmutation. Why would theosophists be interested in transubstantiation?

I would guess transmutation, seeing as how it fits with the whole Babalon/Lust theme. But if so, you can't really explain sex magick standing on one leg. Transubstantiation could be interpreted as a type of sex magick, though.

Richard

I would guess transmutation, seeing as how it fits with the whole Babalon/Lust theme. But if so, you can't really explain sex magick standing on one leg. Transubstantiation could be interpreted as a type of sex magick, though.
What's sexy about a whore riding a ten-horned, seven-headed beast? }) Anyhow, I've always thought of theosophists as being somewhat prim and proper. :D