Book of Thoth Study Group: Part 1 - Section 2

Alta

I think ravenest we should keep the discussion going into the next section. A lot of folks want to participate, and I suggest that all levels are now present, but won't be longer if we delay with details which are interesting but beyond most of us.
Regards, Marion

Ventrue

there also isn't any reason why we cant start several sections at once and just let the threads develop on their own. thats why we have seperate threads. and it will let the ones who are ready to progress etc. i think we just got a bit stagnant
Ven

ravenest

So should we plod along following text (no response means no interest so it can 'plod' to the next bit. Or should we jump ahead to another section.
Waddaya reckon?

Alta

ravenest, I suggest that you just start a new section. And for both you and Aeon418, suggest we start a new section at least once a week, even if the older ones are still active. That is to keep folks interested.

Ventrue

yes it will hurt nothing for us to be covering several sections at once, thats why we have threads, so we can scroll up and remember what we were talking about. most of us can multi-task to an extent hehe

Ven

Le Fanu

bit of a bump.. but there's no harm in posting here rather than starting a new thread!

I am working my way through the BoT and I sometimes come across words which Im not clear on, so rather than start a new thread...

calling all experts; can someone explain to me in easy language - and preferably one sentence - what exactly Tatragrammaton is (p16) is??

Crowley uses the word as though I already knew it and I don't and the section doesn't explain it!

Alta

From Wiki:

The term Tetragrammaton (from Greek τετραγράμματον, meaning "[a word] having four letters" [1]) refers to the Hebrew name of the God of Israel YHWH (Hebrew: יהוה‎) used in the Hebrew Bible.

Grigori

Alta said:
From Wiki:

The term Tetragrammaton (from Greek τετραγράμματον, meaning "[a word] having four letters" [1]) refers to the Hebrew name of the God of Israel YHWH (Hebrew: יהוה‎) used in the Hebrew Bible.

Also worth remembering that the 4 letters in the tetragrammaton relate directly to the structure of the tarot.

YOD, HEH, VAU, HEH
FIRE, WATER, AIR, EARTH
KNIGHT, QUEEN, PRINCE, PRINCESS
FATHER, MOTHER, SON, DAUGHTER
WANDS, CUPS, SWORDS, DISKS
CHOKMAH, BINAH, TIPHARETH, MALKUTH

as well as lot of other stuff (star signs, quarters of the globe, seasons of the year etc..) Anything that divides into 4 you can relate to it really :)

Le Fanu

Thank you. I should have looked on Wikipedia but folks here explain things so much better!!

Aeon418

Tetragrammaton - literally the Four lettered name.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the IHVH used by qabalists/magicians is not the same thing as the Jehovah of popular/mainstream Judeo-Christian religion.