Book of Thoth Study Group: Part 1 - Section 2

rachelcat

Ross G Caldwell said:
Well, as a one-time theological student, I have to tell you I think your idea that Gabriel is the personification of the Holy Spirit is simply brilliant.

I'm absolutely sure I read this somewhere. (I've never had an original idea in my life!) Probably in the regular disreputable sources: Gnostic, pagan, feminist, Da Vinci code lovers, etc.

Great insight about COMBINING with the Moon. Mary, depicted with the moon at her feet.

And all the linguistic background--Wow! That's a big help to this poor mono-linguistic student. I may have to bug you for more when I get deeper into the angel studies!

Ventrue

fools_fool said:
I suppose this would account for the March 21, 1904 date. Though not a direct quote, here is the gist of the story from Megatherion, The Magickal World Of Aleister Crowley; Francis King; Creation Books, 2004; Pages 40, 41.

The whole series of events was initiated by an invocation which Crowley performed to enable Rose, his wife, to see the elemental spirits of water. Supposedly the only reason he did it was to entertain her. She didn't see any elementals, but went into a trance and began repeating, "they are waiting for you." It is at this point that Crowley, desiring to know more, invokes Thoth. Thoth, speaking through Rose informs him that it is Horus who is waiting, and that he should perform an invocation to him. So on March 20, 1904 Crowley carries out a rite of invocation to Horus per the instructions given him by Thoth. The result of this invocation was a "psychic message" from Horus stating a new epoch in human history had come, and that he (Crowley) was destined to be its prophet.

Apparently Crowley, not wanting to waste any time, declared the that the new aeon had begun March 21, 1904.

-fof

Thanks thats pretty much clears it up.

rachelcat said:
Gunas -- Sattvas/Calm, Rajas/Activity, Tamas/Slothful Darkness (What's a Guna, anyway?)

I am pretty sure I read somewhere, maybe Duquettes book that the term 'Guna' is not translatable into the english language...Which is hard for me to wrap my mind around because we have so many descriptors in our language.. seems like even if it wasn't directly translatable it could be explained in many words...hehe

Ven

ravenest

Quote me: In the Naples arrangement 7,8,& 9 are compared to Sat, Chit, Ananda. Yet the 3 elements are compared to the 3 Gunas; Satvas, Rajas and Tamas. If these three are known as the Gunas what are the other three known as?

I think all this time I have been confusing a Sephirothic level with an elemental level. This happened a while back when doing a Liber Yod ritual. Firstly the elements were banished, simple. Then the planets, okay. Then the houses, a little more difficult, then the signs, yeah ok, but what is it one is actually banishing when a sephiroth is banished : so, what is actually a sephiroth, obviously it is not a Guna (I thought trans. was 'tendancies')?
Hmmm, back to Qabalistic kindergarden for me.

Ventrue

i just today went to B&N and ordered Chicken Qabalah so i'll start on that early next week I suppose. Maybe i'll learn me some more stuff. hehe

Ven

ravenest

fools_fool said:
The whole series of events was initiated by an invocation which Crowley performed to enable Rose, his wife, to see the elemental spirits of water. Supposedly the only reason he did it was to entertain her. -fof

That's what you get for showing off!

kwaw

rachelcat said:
I'm absolutely sure I read this somewhere.

Maybe in relation to the tradition of Mary being impregnated through her ear [by the voice of Gabriel]?

Kwaw

ravenest

Have we finished section two yet?

ravenest

Hellooo ... (echo)

Well here is a little prod; (p.20) why is it mathmatically impossible to hit a golf ball?

Also I like this idea on p.21 "The no. 1 is above these triangles..." back to that idea I had before about Kether not being male or father or connected to ToL like others, more like the factor infinate and unknown that seperates -1 an +1 (Chokmah and Binah) from the 0 (Ain)?

Ventrue

i liked the golfball bit, and it is understandable although i dont have the documentation to back it up either. ***note*** i just searched fruitlessly on google while my friend laughed at me and said that i could not proove that it is impossible to hit a golfball mathematically....he is right...i could not find it, and now i will go cry about it.

But, It should be impossible for a person to swing a 4 foot stick in an arc and hit and 2 inch ball due to gravity and the flex of the shaft as you swing it. but it obviously can be done, despite mathematical calculations, and therefore many other things are possible too, even though we cant proove them via known methods. (I think that more refined physics modelling has debunked what A.C. originally stated, but at that point in time, it was probably considered technically impossible.)

Ven

rachelcat

The Mary Kay cult says something similar: Scientists say it's mathmatically impossible for a bumblebee to fly. They give out bumblebee pins as incentives/rewards (as well as pink Cadillacs). I wonder it there's any documentation to this one?