Victorian Fairy Tarot

Le Fanu

And how these Llewellyn cards rattle. You can have a deck with scuffed edges that you hardly use. I sometimes dig out that botoxy Witches Tarot and the sides of the deck are all bashed just from rattling around when I move it around the shelves.

I'm really looking forward to receiving this deck. I love that feeling Hearthcricket of it depicting the fairies from across the grove down yonder valley, near the house.

I'm not particularly into fairy decks - and do tend to keep the ones I have hidden behind Thoths - but I love the artwork on this one. So flighty and airy sylph-like... :D

gregory

They are OK if you put them in a bag in the box.

Le Fanu

Hey, check your decks carefully, folks! I got a 2nd Fool card in place of the 4 of Winter. It was inserted in the right place - between the 5 of Winter and the 3 of Winter, just the wrong card. If I hadn't gone through it card by card before shuffling I might have never noticed.

But I have to say, I like this deck - box issues apart. What is it now with Llewellyn boxes coming like flat pack IKEA furniture? Don't they have glue at Llewellyn? The last three decks from them feel like the boxes have never been glued, they are opened and loose inside the Book Depository packaging.

But the deck.

I like it. Very detailed and full of great little touches. How inspired to have a duel as the Two of Winter/Swords. Why wasn't that done before? It makes perfect sense. The seasons suit thingy feels perfect - I cannot imagine the seasons representing the suits in any other way. It works. High quality artwork, excellent sharpness of image and colouring. I haven't read with it yet but the cards look very, very easy to read. I love all the very ornate details and nature painting.

gregory

Hey, check your decks carefully, folks! I got a 2nd Fool card in place of the 4 of Winter. It was inserted in the right place - between the 5 of Winter and the 3 of Winter, just the wrong card. If I hadn't gone through it card by card before shuffling I might have never noticed.
I did - but I have a sudden need to do it again....

ETA and I did and it's fine. Leffy, you nearly gave me a heart attack there....

LadyDeborah

I have spouted off about poorly packaged decks too often. I hate to go on about it, but it is a pet peeve of mine. It's just that I feel if you go to all of the motions of artwork and making such a beautiful deck of cards that you would want to take pride in how it is presented. I know it might be a cost factor, but I would pay the difference just to keep the cards from going all over the box. I have several boxes that are not glued very well and the flaps don't even fit right.

HearthCricket

I like it. Very detailed and full of great little touches. How inspired to have a duel as the Two of Winter/Swords. Why wasn't that done before? It makes perfect sense. The seasons suit thingy feels perfect - I cannot imagine the seasons representing the suits in any other way. It works. High quality artwork, excellent sharpness of image and colouring. I haven't read with it yet but the cards look very, very easy to read. I love all the very ornate details and nature painting.

Isn't it wonderful? It is so true...the seasons and the moods. Maybe it helps that he lives just a few hours from me and we share the same seasonal changes, but the moods reflect those of people around me, so of course they would affect the fey! It is such a fresh approach to the suits and has me looking at things in a whole new light. Love this deck!

gregory

But I have to say, I like this deck - box issues apart. What is it now with Llewellyn boxes coming like flat pack IKEA furniture? Don't they have glue at Llewellyn? The last three decks from them feel like the boxes have never been glued, they are opened and loose inside the Book Depository packaging.

Geez - I thought you were exaggerating there - as my VF was OK - but I got my Hidden Realm today and indeed - you'd swear it was glueless.... :confused:. WTF ?

HearthCricket

Both my boxes from the Hidden Realm and Victorian Fairy Tarots are fine. No unglued parts, nothing different from before except the lack of adding a cheapy gauze bag. I wonder if it had anything to do with the horrible heatwaves we had and the boxes un-gluing (sp?) while roasting inside a very hot UPS truck for days?

Overall I love my decks from Llewellyn...they are often some of my absolute favourites and most worked with. But I am sick of not having a tuck box nor any kind of bag and having to sometimes dish out a small fortune to get a bag to store my deck in. Especially annoying when I want to buy a backup of a deck. I want to open it and check the cards and let it breathe, but again, I need to purchase a bag to do this. Suddenly the cost swells to over 50.00 bucks for each set and storage and Llewellyn hurts themselves as in the end, I just don't bother to buy another deck. :(

gregory

Small fortune ? My bags are $1.25 CND from the dollar store. GREAT quality.

HearthCricket

Small fortune ? My bags are $1.25 CND from the dollar store. GREAT quality.

No Dollar Store here. I was thinking in the lines of Baba Studio bags. Getting a nice fairy themed bag to store them.