Pros and Cons Thread Enabling+De-enabling

daphne

That's very good to know, about it not being very small, and about the cardstock. Thank you!

I was eyeballing those personalized tins. But not sure which card to get... I kind of favor using the card backs, but the Stele of Revealing is pretty awesome... and so many of the cards are too.

Definitely getting the app, then maybe I can narrow down my choice. :)

I know, difficult to chose which card for the tin, there are so many successful executed. The card backs look also excellent.

And with the app you get also the book. The complete book.

Nemia

Any de-enabling services for the Grail Tarot available? I have this giddy feeling of HAVING to buy it. Please convince me otherwise ;)

stonesatiety

Re the regular-sized Rosetta: It was my first and is my primary deck. The cardstock and finish are the best I've seen. It chats easily with me, so I can either use the book or not. It often sends an image of a card in response to a thought I'll have!!! There is a lot of subtle depth to the images.

Dark Victory '39

Nemia

A detractor for the Grail (assuming you mean the one by Matthews w/ the excellent soft cover book) is that there are a heck of a lot of battle scenes; not gory (well a few are gory) but lots of group shots of swords flailing back and forth, some of them i find a little samey, and even though the art is v. lovely i don't know if SOME of those battle scenes have enough detail for me to work with; also lots of church scenes, and people standing in line. lol. That said i don't know how much you want to be de-enabled; i love the set, i find it really unique, the book provides the context of which otherwise i would have been fairly ignorant. I find some of the cards drop down stunning; such as temperance and the devil; a de-enabling point might be that most of the majors are renamed: temperance is sarras (not sure on the spelling) star is perceval, etc. There are a few instances where i find the book a little pessimistic in its interpretation, but that doesn't really bother me, as as long as i understand the context of the art i can work w/ it however i see fit. Hope this helps, in, ur, whatever direction you were hoping to be helped.

Laura Borealis

Re the regular-sized Rosetta: It was my first and is my primary deck. The cardstock and finish are the best I've seen. It chats easily with me, so I can either use the book or not. It often sends an image of a card in response to a thought I'll have!!! There is a lot of subtle depth to the images.

The app is great, and includes the Book of Seshet.

Thank you both. I got the app last night :)

staticfuzz

Okay... I'm thinking of getting the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery. Anyone have this deck and willing to share your thoughts? Pros, cons?

I LOVE the art, but when I looked at the images on Tarot Garden...
http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/s-decks/sevenfoldmystery78cards.gif
Does it really have that text overlaying it, like on the middle card in the top row? Justice, Reason? It looks kind of...sloppy? Distracting? :\

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated :)

kalliope

Okay... I'm thinking of getting the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery. Anyone have this deck and willing to share your thoughts? Pros, cons?

I'd like to second a request for comments on the Sevenfold Mystery. I enjoy the illustration & coloring style (it's similar in boldness to the art I love in the Dame Fortune's Wheel, but it's more delicate.)

I don't mind the text so much, to be honest. I'm more concerned with the symbolism, especially in the minors. I don't need it to be recognizable in the sense of being a RWS scene clone, but do the images convey the same ideas? I never got the Alchemical because I recall being flummoxed by the minors because the images didn't seem to invoke much meaning for me.

Thank you!

Aeric

The Minors in the Alchemical Tarot are pulled from actual images in alchemical manuscripts are intended to represent steps in a process, starting with the Ace which is a small animal of the element, and ending with the King, who is a large animal. The book is very necessary to understand the cards, as the alchemical symbolism is often deliberately obscure.

I was turned off the Sevenfold by those superimposed words. I don't feel they're entirely necessary, and in some cases they're superfluous. They do help to use the deck without a book, but they're visually distracting like you're not reading card images but observing diagrams with labels in a textbook.

Of course a caveat with Robert Place's decks is that repetitions of his original line art from the Alchemical Tarot is visible in several cards across decks. So if you associate one image with a particular meaning it might not please you to see the same image modified in a different context.

Rhinemaiden

Of course a caveat with Robert Place's decks is that repetitions of his original line art from the Alchemical Tarot is visible in several cards across decks. So if you associate one image with a particular meaning it might not please you to see the same image modified in a different context.

Go here for a card comparison of the Alchemical with Seven Fold mystery... you'll see how Robert Place borrowed from himself from one deck to the other...

http://www.tarotize.com/2013/02/alchemical-tarot-deck-interview.html