Pros and Cons Thread Enabling+De-enabling

lalalibra

I have a decision to make. I want a new deck, and I'm really torn between the Crystal Visions and the Shadowscapes. I want something in that general style. I haven't been able to find a listing on Amazon for the Crystal Visions that comes with a full-size book or I would have gone for it already. I don't know if I trust my intuition enough to learn the differences between it and the RWS without a bigger book.

I've looked at many of the cards from both, and I have yet to see a card I actively dislike in the Crystal Visions, but not many that I LOVE. I prefer the Shadowscapes art style overall, but there are a couple cards I'm not a fan of. Though I don't hate them to the point that it would impair me reading with the deck. Most of the cards I really like, though.

I don't think this will be a reading deck for me, at least not for a while. I'm still a beginner, and trying to get a foundation with the RWS before I start using other decks more often. But I would like to have that option. So I would also like to know which deck is easier to read with for beginners. I have enough iTunes card money left that I can get the other as a Fool's Dog app, or I can get the same one I buy the real deck so I can have it on the go. I don't really know yet.

I actually think that Shadowscapes and Crystal Visions are very, very different from one another. Crystal Visions has simpler imagery. Shadowscapes is more detailed. And while you didn't mention it, another deck you might want to look at as well that I'd also consider to be in that general style would be the Paulina Tarot (it's also an awesome deck, very RWS, and to me, reminiscent of the the dense symbolism found in Shadowscapes).

A common complaint with Crystal Visions is that it's "too simple" and that the images "all look the same" but I think that with a knowledge of RWS, as well as being able to notice the nuances in the imagery (you'll most likely be able to tell if you can just by looking at the images online), the deck is actually very readable. While it doesn't have a lot of symbolism, I personally find meaning in the symbolism that is there - the animals, the ways in which the environment and the colors/sky connect between the cards, etc. I've read some people say it's 'only good if you like looking at elemental dignities' and such (again because some people don't feel inspired otherwise) - but I hardly ever do that; the deck primarily speaks to me in other ways..... On the other hand, many complain that Shadowscapes has "too much" symbolism and that it doesn't speak to them either. Me, I've never had that issue, I happen to *like* decks that are like that (like the Paulina which I mentioned above). And I wrote about this in regard to Shadowscapes a bit here too: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3807302&postcount=11

As for who is a "better" artist, I think the quality/work that Stephanie Pui-Mun Law put into Shadowscapes is technically superior. The art is just gorgeous, inspiring, and has a very lovely, fantastical mood. To be honest, there have been a few times with Crystal Visions where I've had to do a double take (two examples: The Empress standing with one foot sneaking out from under her dress and into the water - I'm not sure if it looks natural! And the woman's legs in the Seven of Pentacles has also looked kind of "off" to me before, the way the dress drapes off somehow didn't look right to me.). And yet Crystal Visions still appeals to me because of it's own mood - the colors and the style has a certain charm that reminds me of my youth (I've never said this to anyone before but it actually reminds me vaguely of Barbie!! lol I hope my saying that didn't ruin it for you!). Crystal Visions was also partly inspired by Stevie Nicks and I happen to enjoy her music ("Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite songs) and the deck had totally reminded me of it before I even knew that. Anyway, I don't mean to insult Jennifer Galasso's abilities. I appreciate what's she's done and she's done a great job all the same. I think her art is cute and I love the feel of it. The mood is great! I especially love the colors she chooses. But she said she had very little experience drawing men before creating this deck, for example... I just think Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's artwork evidently shows more skill/experience.

While I didn't particularly like the little white book that came with Crystal Visions, the artist sells a larger book on her website if you'd be interested in that (but I don't have it so I can't comment on it). Why I didn't like the CV LWB - too simplistic and narrow at times, but it's not all bad, and just like with anything: pick up what resonates and leave behind the rest. The book that comes with Shadowscapes Tarot, however, is wonderful and very poetic (and I also mentioned more on how I feel about it in the link I included above), and in my opinion, definitely very good for learning. And I think you'd get wayyyyyy more out of the Shadowscapes book than the Crystal Visions LWB.

And finally, which deck do I prefer? Which deck do I use most often? Shadowscapes. If I were to hypothetically have lost both of these decks, I'd be quick to repurchase Shadowscapes over Crystal Visions. And if you care to hear about cardstock, then I prefer Shadowscapes too because it has a matte, more cardboard-like finish (while CV is thicker, but super laminated and more glossy/plastic-feeling). Shadowscapes is also slightly smaller and easier to shuffle, and I think it's nicer to hold. I also don't like the white borders on Crystal Visions (it doesn't look good next to the deep colors in the images), but the silver borders on Shadowscapes are lovely. And all in all, I think Shadowscapes has more depth and I've never gotten bored with it, while there have been really long periods of time where I haven't touched Crystal Visions.

Garnet-Flame

I actually think that Shadowscapes and Crystal Visions are very, very different from one another. Crystal Visions has simpler imagery. Shadowscapes is more detailed. And while you didn't mention it, another deck you might want to look at as well that I'd also consider to be in that general style would be the Paulina Tarot (it's also an awesome deck, very RWS, and to me, reminiscent of the the dense symbolism found in Shadowscapes).

A common complaint with Crystal Visions is that it's "too simple" and that the images "all look the same" but I think that with a knowledge of RWS, as well as being able to notice the nuances in the imagery (you'll most likely be able to tell if you can just by looking at the images online), the deck is actually very readable. While it doesn't have a lot of symbolism, I personally find meaning in the symbolism that is there - the animals, the ways in which the environment and the colors/sky connect between the cards, etc. I've read some people say it's 'only good if you like looking at elemental dignities' and such (again because some people don't feel inspired otherwise) - but I hardly ever do that; the deck primarily speaks to me in other ways..... On the other hand, many complain that Shadowscapes has "too much" symbolism and that it doesn't speak to them either. Me, I've never had that issue, I happen to *like* decks that are like that (like the Paulina which I mentioned above). And I wrote about this in regard to Shadowscapes a bit here too: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3807302&postcount=11

As for who is a "better" artist, I think the quality/work that Stephanie Pui-Mun Law put into Shadowscapes is technically superior. The art is just gorgeous, inspiring, and has a very lovely, fantastical mood. To be honest, there have been a few times with Crystal Visions where I've had to do a double take (two examples: The Empress standing with one foot sneaking out from under her dress and into the water - I'm not sure if it looks natural! And the woman's legs in the Seven of Pentacles has also looked kind of "off" to me before, the way the dress drapes off somehow didn't look right to me.). And yet Crystal Visions still appeals to me because of it's own mood - the colors and the style has a certain charm that reminds me of my youth (I've never said this to anyone before but it actually reminds me vaguely of Barbie!! lol I hope my saying that didn't ruin it for you!). Crystal Visions was also partly inspired by Stevie Nicks and I happen to enjoy her music ("Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite songs) and the deck had totally reminded me of it before I even knew that. Anyway, I don't mean to insult Jennifer Galasso's abilities. I appreciate what's she's done and she's done a great job all the same. I think her art is cute and I love the feel of it. The mood is great! I especially love the colors she chooses. But she said she had very little experience drawing men before creating this deck, for example... I just think Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's artwork evidently shows more skill/experience.

While I didn't particularly like the little white book that came with Crystal Visions, the artist sells a larger book on her website if you'd be interested in that (but I don't have it so I can't comment on it). Why I didn't like the CV LWB - too simplistic and narrow at times, but it's not all bad, and just like with anything: pick up what resonates and leave behind the rest. The book that comes with Shadowscapes Tarot, however, is wonderful and very poetic (and I also mentioned more on how I feel about it in the link I included above), and in my opinion, definitely very good for learning. And I think you'd get wayyyyyy more out of the Shadowscapes book than the Crystal Visions LWB.

And finally, which deck do I prefer? Which deck do I use most often? Shadowscapes. If I were to hypothetically have lost both of these decks, I'd be quick to repurchase Shadowscapes over Crystal Visions. And if you care to hear about cardstock, then I prefer Shadowscapes too because it has a matte, more cardboard-like finish (while CV is thicker, but super laminated and more glossy/plastic-feeling). Shadowscapes is also slightly smaller and easier to shuffle, and I think it's nicer to hold. I also don't like the white borders on Crystal Visions (it doesn't look good next to the deep colors in the images), but the silver borders on Shadowscapes are lovely. And all in all, I think Shadowscapes has more depth and I've never gotten bored with it, while there have been really long periods of time where I haven't touched Crystal Visions.

Thank you so much! I have ordered the Shadowscapes. Hopefully the reviewers weren't lying and this listing does include the bigger book. I may go ahead and order the Crystal Visions on Friday after I get paid, though.

prudence

I am seriously considering buying a Mayer Sola-Busca. It would be the most money I've ever spent on a deck of cards. I don't know if I want to be enabled or de-enabled. I really want a Sola-Busca. I really don't know if I want one badly enough to pay what is (to me) a considerable sum for it. Does anyone else have a Mayer, Il Menghello, or LoS Sola-Busca? Do you try to read with it? Study? Keep it because they're valuable now? Will LoS every reprint it?!?!

I have tried, I have the LoS version, and like Magpie, I just can't do much with it at all. I too would suggest getting the one from sevenstars, I am quite tempted to get that one myself.

lalalibra

Thank you so much! I have ordered the Shadowscapes. Hopefully the reviewers weren't lying and this listing does include the bigger book. I may go ahead and order the Crystal Visions on Friday after I get paid, though.

Wonderful, I'm glad it could help you make your decision. You know, whenever I've gone back and forth choosing between two particular decks, I usually have ended up just getting both of them eventually anyway lol!

I can't be sure where you ordered from, but if it was off of Amazon and it's the one with the "Shadowscapes Companion" book (blueish cover with the Page of Pentacles) in the main photo, then you should be fine (that's the one I ordered from in the past)...

I also wanted to add that one thing I really appreciate about the Shadowscapes book is that the descriptions of the artwork and the meanings are written by the artist herself. I think it's always nice to get the artist's perspective on the cards.

Laura Borealis

Rosetta

I'd like to ask, of members who have either or both - what do you think of the Rosetta mini vs. the regular size? The mini appeals because of the tin, smaller size for carrying, and the lower price. But I would probably prefer the regular size for seeing the details. So I am dithering...

edit: Or maybe I should just get the app!

GryffinSong

This. Cheapest option, plus most visible images equals an excellent choice. If you love it, and pine to hold it in your hands, you can choose a physical deck later. :)

Laura Borealis

I think that's how I'm going to go. :)

But I still wouldn't mind hearing from people who have the mini and regular size, just to see what they think.

daphne

Rosetta

I'd like to ask, of members who have either or both - what do you think of the Rosetta mini vs. the regular size? The mini appeals because of the tin, smaller size for carrying, and the lower price. But I would probably prefer the regular size for seeing the details. So I am dithering...

I have both, I love both. But anyway I love Rosetta all together. Bright vivid colors, amazing cardstock in both editions, I consider it the best in this regard. Feels like butter.

The mini comes very handy to carry around. You can ask for whatever card you like best for the lid of the tin, it gives a personalized feeling. And it is not very small, it is comparable with Victorian Romantic mini.

Laura Borealis

That's very good to know, about it not being very small, and about the cardstock. Thank you!

I was eyeballing those personalized tins. But not sure which card to get... I kind of favor using the card backs, but the Stele of Revealing is pretty awesome... and so many of the cards are too.

Definitely getting the app, then maybe I can narrow down my choice. :)