Best Book for Beginner?

Lleminawc

Silverlyn said:
Ach, Sooo many Tarot books out there for a newbie to look at, yet I really want an EXTREMELY simple and succinct Tarot book that explains to me the basic meanings of every card and what Tarot/Oracles are really for.....
If you do find a simple and succinct account of "what Tarot/Oracles are really for", I hope you'll share it with the rest of us ...

Sulis

Fudugazi said:
It's All in the Cards - if you want to learn basic everyday reading meaning in various situations.

The Complete Tarot Reader - that's exactly what it is: teaches you to become a reader.

Tarot for Yourself - if you want to develop the intuitive reading method.

Two of those in combination should help you out.

Personally, I started with 78 Degrees of Wisdom. It's not easy, simple, succinct or anything like that, and it won't teach you to read tarot, but it's a marvellous classic all the same. It got me to see the tarot as an esoteric gift from the very start.

But the truth? - your best book is your deck - 78 pages that should keep you busy for a while. Buy a notebook and pen and write your own basic meanings. Get those down either before or at the same time as reading a book like 78 Degrees (write down each card before you read up what the author has to say).

Fudugazi said it, I completely agree with every word, especially the last bit :)

I would add Janina Renee's 'Tarot your everyday guide' - tells you how to read cards for advice - very useful.

magpie9

Another vote here for "Tarot Plain and Simple." It's the one I like beginners to have as a reference, when I'm teaching. From the very beginning it gives head-room to the notion that what you feel about a card means something, and has validity. It does not build a closed Tarot-mind, as most beginner books do.

Magnolia

I'm learning too and last week I bought "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning. I had already bought two other books but I find I can relate to most of the meanings in this book and am enjoying all the other bits and pieces in it. I also like the list of opposing or confirming cards that she lists alongside the meaning of each card.
But.... I am having difficultly with the court cards - maybe someone knows a good guide for those cards?

Silverlyn

Got one:)

Hi again.

Just wanted to post that I bought my first separate Tarot Books!:)

I decided on: Nancy Garen's Tarot Made Easy and her Tarot Workbook.

It looked PERFECT for me, especially love how she has categories for each card:)

I almost got 123 Tarot, but for now, I liked Garen's better:)

Edited to add: Next, I am gonna get The Absolute Beginner's Guide by Mark and the 123 Tarot:)

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to start here, for now.

Hugs!

Silverlyn

DreamGhost

I like Tarot: Plain and Simple, by Anthony Louis most of all. I like to refer to Mark McElroy's book Complete Beginner's alongside of it, though, because Mark has an interesting approach and includes things like "Questions to ask," timeframes, connections with other items of signifigance as it relates to the card, and different approaches for each card's meaning like Spirituality, Relationship, Fortune telling, etc. Tarot Plain and Simple is well done also, though, and gives a quick yet not too brief overlay of traditional meanings and keywords. Also gives a brief "Situation and Advice" essay for each card. Really, I would highly recommend both.

I also like to refer to Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom when I want detailed insight on the card's symbolism, some history, and maybe even an idea of the card's overall meaning or feel.

Tomsde

Although an old book, I think Eden Grey's, Mastering the Tarot is an excellent book for beginners. It gives very sussinct, traditional interpretations of the cards and a lot of good advice on doing readings for people. It's also still in print and easy to get hold of.

Silverlyn

I also just got Mark's book, I think I'm gonna like it, a whole lot better:) Nancy's books are definitely useful...yet they're missing something!

So between Mark's book and taking the free online Bunning Tarot course (for now, I may get her book next)...I think I'm well on my way to actually learning it, this time.

Silverlyn

stella01904

Tarot Made Easy is excellent, but don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to memorise all that! Or look up meanings every time you do a spread!
It should be read in the spirit of "Why does she say that? Where did she get that?"

Sasha Fenton is also very good for beginners. She gets you thinking for yourself.