Tarot deck says 1984? Scapini medievel

MizGrace

I bought a Tarot deck from a site and was told it was new unused status
I opened the bag to find in it a deck printed at the side us games 1984.
I have seen in stores the same deck but 2007.
I don't know if this is a mis print because I didn't think this deck was produced then.
It is absolutely stunning though and in the light it shows it is gilded.
It is pretty but in some scenes even the jolly ones look quite creepy. I was fascinated reading Scapini's information on the deck. Picture added

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p707/practicalMag/scapinimed84_zpsa074030b.jpg

Thank you!

rwcarter

I have 1985 in my database for when the deck was published. (My box and LWB both say 1985, but I have a 13th printing of the deck.) The cards themselves do have the 1984 copyright on them.

The 2007 edition was likely printed in a country other than Switzerland, where the earlier printings of the deck occurred.

MizGrace

so my deck could be an original that would be quite something if it is. The side of the cards do say this. It's a really lovely deck though and I know I am going to be picking it up time and time again. I do wonder though if it is a 2007 print as, surely a deck from 1980's wouldn't look in such fantastic shape, it looks immaculate.
Thanks RwCarter
do you have any images of the new printing, I'd like to see this please if you do?

thanks

rwcarter

I have the 13th printing, but have no way of associating that with a date in which the deck was printed. You can't judge the printing date by the copyright on the cards though. The copyright on the cards is only for when the cards themselves were copyrighted (1984 in this case) and not for when the deck might have been printed (1985 for the first printing of the deck).

Do you have the LWB that comes with the deck? Just inside the front cover near the bottom of the page should be numbers in reverse succession. The lowest number in the series will tell you what printing of the deck you have. In my deck the lowest number in the series was 13, so I know I have the 13th printing.