De-Enabling Thread

Chronata

Hexen

I like that de-enabling is back.

Ok...so Hexen 2.0...really?

I guess I just don't get it. The art doesn't evoke any sort of otherworldly feelings, which for me is important in a tarot. I like a tarot to open doors...

This one looks like it wants you to stop and look at all the stuff written on the door first, and then confuses you into not going through the door at all.

I don't think it's lovely to look at. It seems fussy, overwhelming, and definitely looks like it has an agenda.

I dunno...it's like trying to read with advertising posters for Victorian medical lectures, or for bands in the 60's you have never heard of, or will never care about.

I'm sure there is some tarot-y things in there. But I just can't see 'em. And maybe I don't want to.

I realize that this probably won't de-enable you at all, Gregory. Because yeah...who wouldn't want a deck that no one else has? But really...this is a weird weird thing disguising itself as a tarot.
(Are you SURE it's not an oracle deck? I know how your love those...:D)

emmsma

Mary-El

I had a teeny home print copy of Mary-El majors and aces. I loved them. I would look at their bright and deeply moving images often, and longed for a full fledged copy of a complete deck.

I preordered as soon as it was an option. I had the deck for 3 days before opening the sale thread.

Yes the box is gorgeous. Its in my closet should someone want it. (to clarify: deck and book have already moved on)

Some of the cards are just too disturbing. My stomach churned when looking at them. Then I would be nauseous when seeing the box. I KNEW the horrors that lurked within.

I found myself unable to eat. I was hurt and angry but the changed and now repugnant Hierophant card. I'd waited so long for this. Why did my haunted lovely deck become a monstrosity.

Then the nightmares came. I woke to images of me amputating baby feet.

Avoid this one, at all costs.
(those that know me understand that this wasn't a gag de-enabling post. this is sadly, all to true)

Laura Borealis

Oh and the Hexen 2.0 Now I know the temptation to buy one is very great as one of my distinguished ancestors figures prominently on one card (I've said this before and nobody seemed in the slightest bit curious :( :D ) .

I am curious. I hope it's not the Unabomber.

Tesla? Tell me it's Tesla. Tesla is sexy. Or maybe Ada Lovelace?

Debra

No. It's the Digger.

Thanks for the comments on the Mary-El, all. I'm still listening.

Londubh

Mary-el

The Mary-el is scary. The artist has strayed off the standard well-worn tarot path. Who knows where the path will lead? It could be bad. I myself hate it when a tarot calls itself a tarot and isn't. The deviations are probably bad, they almost always are. The images are not pretty and go to wilder and different places. It will probably make you uncomfortable. You will have to learn new things to use it. Who knows if it will be worth it? It's probably a waste of time.

firefrost

Within two months our belovedly fickle AT-ers will have yearned, bought, received and discarded.

Welcome to the firefrost school of 'How to find the deck'! :laugh:

MoonGypsy

... one of my distinguished ancestors figures prominently on one card (I've said this before and nobody seemed in the slightest bit curious :( :D ) .

Oh i am...:D C'mon, Leffy! Inquiring readers want to know!:p

And as much as i thought i wanted the Mary-El, i have hit the cancel button...

MoonGypsy

No. It's the Digger.

Duh! :p Of course...Now that i actually took the time to view more cards of the deck, it is obvious to me! :laugh: i hadn't looked at all the images! :D

GeorgiePorgie

Mary-El
I think the images are beautiful and deep. Also scary.
Please elaborate. In the spirit of de-enabling, of course. Because I watched (briefly) the threads in the beginning about this deck, then it fell off my radar. And now cuz of this thread, it's come back on my radar!

So now I'm dithering. But I would like to know which ones you think are scary. And someone said stomach churning. And I think the word squeamish was bandied around too.