Old Mythic vs New Mythic

AJ

I wasn't getting after you Rodney, just responding to the original post really.
Your da king in my mind!

I do think the original book is excellent, although I have no schooling in the myths, but I learn something every time I pick it up.

Ms. Jocelyn

I have both

I have both the original and the newer version. The new Mythic Tarot book is much bigger and has the same text in it from the original.

I would agree that I don't like the new deck, but the artwork was done by Giovanni Caselli who did the Sherman Caselli deck.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Gui...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435620140&sr=1-1

I imagine everyone knows this. I found a copy of the deck for a good price on Amazon. But, now-a-days the original deck costs over 100 dollars. The work book is good too.

La Hierbera

While emptying my late mother in law's apartment, I came across a few tarot sets from the 80's and 90's, one of which was the original Mythic Tarot! Then, just a few days ago, we came across the Mythic Tarot Workbook in a second hand store. What gems!

rwcarter

I wasn't getting after you Rodney, just responding to the original post really.
Your da king in my mind!

I do think the original book is excellent, although I have no schooling in the myths, but I learn something every time I pick it up.
I know AJ. I just don't care enough about the Abomination to spend more than a couple of minutes figuring out how "the text has been revised, brought up to date". I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. And for whatever reason, they tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

The ONLY reason I even have a copy of the Abomination is that my Tarot Crack Dealer and Enabler found a copy on the bargain shelf of the local bookstore, bought it and then gave it to me when she was done with it.

Rodney

La Hierbera

I just watched an original Mythic Tarot deck sell for $21 on ebay. The seller listed it as "Tarot cards, deck of 78 cards by Tricia Newell" which is why it probably slipped under the radar. Someone is surely quite elated right now :)

ldiddy

I got lucky

I stopped by my local used bookstore before Christmas. I'd never checked their tarot section. The one and only deck on the shelf was an original Mythic. For $12. She had it taped up, so I wasn't sure if all the cards would be in the box, but they were. It even had the black spread cloth. I've been using it for a few weeks and really enjoy the theme, art, and book.

Great deck.

JylliM

I bought the original Mythic in its box at an op shop for $10 2-3 years ago. I wasn't in a tarot phase at that point, and gave it to my daughter. I don't trust her not to have thrown it away in one of her regular purges.

Nemia

I've said it elsewhere but maybe it bears repeating: the German version of the original deck with the beautiful illustrations by Newell is available as Delphisches Tarot, for a fraction of the price of the oop English version. I'm glad I bought it, it's lovely. Even if you don't know German, translating and understanding the card names is not difficult, and the images are more important anyway.

The book is available in Kindle format, too.

JylliM

I've said it elsewhere but maybe it bears repeating: the German version of the original deck with the beautiful illustrations by Newell is available as Delphisches Tarot, for a fraction of the price of the oop English version. I'm glad I bought it, it's lovely. Even if you don't know German, translating and understanding the card names is not difficult, and the images are more important anyway.

The book is available in Kindle format, too.

I have the German deck on order from Book Depository. It's stopped me jumping at a couple of cheap original kits on eBay in the last couple of days. They're cheap, but not as cheap as my brand new deck!