HAVE CARDS - what shall I play??

Tanga

Now you've got me thinking (always a dangerous thing :))

There was an old cartoon - Daffy Duck I think - where he had an angel on one shoulder, whispering in one ear, and a devil on the other shoulder, whispering in the other ear. I could take all the court cards out of one of my decks and use them for a very specific 2-card daily draw - how can I best express myself today, versus what mode of behavior should I avoid...

That was "Jimmy Jinx, and what he thinks" - and I loved the fact that he had one on each shoulder whispering like that. :joke: I could so relate to that.
These days - I might even see them as my two grandmothers (now both passed on, to "The Summerland") - as one was literally an angel and the other a devil. ;)
(My mother sometimes points at me and says - "There - that's you're grandma!!" - to which I shrug and say "well I can't excise out her genes can I?" - this is for the "devil" one :) )
Hmm - I like this idea...

Get some friends and play 'Strip Tarot Poker'.

Good Goddess NO. :) :) Firstly I haven't any friends next door to call over late at night, for such a thing (they all live further afield), and secondly hubby would have a fit! :joke:
(serve him right too - lol).

I play solitaire with my decks quite frequently. I leave the Majors in. I think nisaba had a thread describing the rules.

Really? can you find it? I might scrabble about later looking for it when I have time to look. Or could you explain your rules here?

If you don't have a worthwhile question for a reading, but want to play with lots of cards :party:, grab a deck, shuffle well and then deal them face up into 3 piles- 1)negative, 2)neutral and 3)positive... see them as a barometer of your present mental/emotional wellbeing.

Hmm. I might try that. Though I don't need cards to examine this for me as I'm pretty aware of "where I am" most of the time (so then, if I do this sort of thing - I might flip card x, and then be thinking - well actually y would express this even better bla bla bla...).
As mentioned before - I'd more likely to just go through the whole deck once, and pick out exactly which 1 card best expresses each of these states for me in that moment.
Quicker than "reducing" piles. Lol.
However... this is giving me ideas... Seeing as I like the symbolism of 3s...

(I feel I'm getting inordinately silly here - perfect!) :royal:

I could sit 3 of my beannie bears infront of me as goody, baddy and neutral - deal
3 piles of cards for each - and "investigate the story".
Or even maiden, mother and crone...

Huh - slowly building up a "Tarot Solitaire" file of fun card things to do here.
You guys are ace!

Any more for any more suggestions?

Barleywine

That was "Jimmy Jinx, and what he thinks" - and I loved the fact that he had one on each shoulder whispering like that. :joke: I could so relate to that.
These days - I might even see them as my two grandmothers (now both passed on, to "The Summerland") - as one was literally an angel and the other a devil. ;)
(My mother sometimes points at me and says - "There - that's you're grandma!!" - to which I shrug and say "well I can't excise out her genes can I?" - this is for the "devil" one :) )
Hmm - I like this idea...

It looks like Jimmy Jinx was strictly a UK phenomenon. On-line consensus in the US seems to be that it was a Disney Donald Duck cartoon where this appeared, but I'm almost positive it was also in one or more of the Looney Toons. Both of those go back in time well beyond the 1970's era of Jimmy Jinx, and may be where the inspiration came from.

earthair

Hmm. I might try that. Though I don't need cards to examine this for me as I'm pretty aware of "where I am" most of the time (so then, if I do this sort of thing - I might flip card x, and then be thinking - well actually y would express this even better bla bla bla...).
As mentioned before - I'd more likely to just go through the whole deck once, and pick out exactly which 1 card best expresses each of these states for me in that moment.
Quicker than "reducing" piles. Lol.

It's not really about finding a card to express where you are, or about speed- the really interesting part comes on the further dealings as you take the positive pile, and delve deeper, assigning some which at first glance you thought were positive, into the negative pile, and vice versa. It's about the process not the end result ;)

Tanga

It looks like Jimmy Jinx was strictly a UK phenomenon. On-line consensus in the US seems to be that it was a Disney Donald Duck cartoon where this appeared, but I'm almost positive it was also in one or more of the Looney Toons. Both of those go back in time well beyond the 1970's era of Jimmy Jinx, and may be where the inspiration came from.

Was he? - lol. I read him in Kenya - and actually only at-a-glace as I never much liked the rest of the cartoon story. I was born in 1973. :)

It's not really about finding a card to express where you are, or about speed- the really interesting part comes on the further dealings as you take the positive pile, and delve deeper, assigning some which at first glance you thought were positive, into the negative pile, and vice versa. It's about the process not the end result ;)

Oh I see - I'm with you now. :) Yes - that could amuse me. :) Thankyou.

tarotbear

Nisaba's Solitaire

It took a bit of searching: click here.

I added it to my files alongside Tarot Poker Rules - click here.

As far as 'Strip Tarot Poker' - someone else will have to search for that! :p

MandMaud

I could read for my crystal skulls - or get them to "talk" to each other - LOL!!
Love this idea! I get sort of "half" a feeling of a crystal's character, if any feeling at all, so this would work for getting to know them better. I often feel they're telling me something but rarely find out what it is. :D

Get some friends and play 'Strip Tarot Poker'.
Trust you, TB. :neutral:

If you don't have a worthwhile question for a reading, but want to play with lots of cards :party:, grab a deck, shuffle well and then deal them face up into 3 piles- 1)negative, 2)neutral and 3)positive, according to your first immediate instinct. Don't even think about what you are doing, or the reasons for assigning cards to whichever pile, until the whole pack is dealt.
A bit like automatic writing. Presumably you mean face up? I'd like to try doing this without seeing which card is which - using intuition. Then having a look which cards have grouped themselves. Maybe instead of neutral, I'd use "advice" or something; I have a feeling I'd struggle to understand "neutral" as compared with positive and negative.

Daffy Duck? Sounds familiar... and I'm sure Tom of 'Tom & Jerry' had at least one or two moments of having shoulder-residents. One of those tropes, methinx.

This seems to be one of those topics that provokes more and more creativity as we spark ideas off each other. :)

Morwenna

I think that "angel vs. devil" trope has been used in cartoons by every studio there was. I have no idea how far back it goes; it may go back to the silents.

I just followed the link to Nisaba's solitaire thread; it's a pretty standard solitaire game with the addition of an extra suit or two for the Majors. But it does look like fun. (I used to play several solitaire games with standard cards, and sometimes I'd have marathon sessions while playing records or listening to the radio. Before I had a computer, of course. ;))

Another pastime I've used with the cards is to get out a couple or a few similar decks and compare and contrast the same cards from each. That can keep me busy for hours.

MandMaud

I think that "angel vs. devil" trope has been used in cartoons by every studio there was. I have no idea how far back it goes; it may go back to the silents.

I just followed the link to Nisaba's solitaire thread; it's a pretty standard solitaire game with the addition of an extra suit or two for the Majors. But it does look like fun. (I used to play several solitaire games with standard cards, and sometimes I'd have marathon sessions while playing records or listening to the radio. Before I had a computer, of course. ;))

Another pastime I've used with the cards is to get out a couple or a few similar decks and compare and contrast the same cards from each. That can keep me busy for hours.

I did that with patience (solitaire, Klondike, whatever ;)) capable of going all day!

Does the angel/devil/shoulder thing go back to a biblical quote or something like that? Maybe?

Ayram

I was feeling this way the other day though not quite because I'm not experienced enough and haven't studied enough so don't have many people to read for. But I didn't have anything to ask myself yet I was itching to play with the cards (get that tactile high)! So I'm sorry if you only want to hear from the truly experienced readers but maybe the experienced readers would like to do the following but at a fast pace - so challenge oneself with speed? ;)

Sort the cards into piles of cards of similar meanings or themes. That was interesting and really helpful when I did it and probably has been done by most of you at this point, but it's a sort of fun, relaxing activity. For one like me I sometimes had to pick up a book to discover or re-discover where a card should go. But for someone more experienced this could be a fun auto-pilot sort of game - almost like playing solitaire. And it could be "played" a variety of ways with variations. Sorry if this has already been suggested.

I just thought of an interesting idea for someone less practiced, like me. You could buy or make blank cards and write on them in maybe permanent marker the characteristics that represent each card in a tarot deck. The nice thing is that you could write it however you want e.g. a combination of the most accurate feeling words from various authors, or just your own thing. No names or numbers or even symbols necessarily. You could then lay them out in maybe a grid, then take cards off a real tarot deck and place each one onto its corresponding "characteristic card" one by one. You could also mix up several different tarot decks and do it that way, as a way to reinforce concepts/meanings per images - but obviously this would only work if you apply the same characteristics to cards of different decks regardless of the deck. Actually I think I might do this! Just saw these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218649...id=218649199&gclid=COOCiPTvmcUCFcRgfgodVZ4AEA

For those experienced, the blank cards could have something more challenging written on them?

Or these ones are blank on both sides so you could challenge yourself with more than one kind of "game?":
http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/blank-tarot-cards.html?gclid=CPre8M_ymcUCFdCTfgodREoALA