Why does one deck seem more accurate than the others?!

Ayram

Hello,

It's strange that one of my decks seems to always be "right." It's not even my favorite deck in terms of looks - though clearly in terms of what really matters: results! And I don't really know how to properly read tarot cards yet... but for fun will do it for friends who know I'm still learning (slow process!). Those friends always want that deck that's always spot on, hahaha. It's actually the first deck I ever bought - could that be why?! Cause it's been with me the longest? It's the Universal Rider deck. The other decks I have are: Thoth, Goddess Tarot, DruidCraft, Deck of the Bastard and Whimsical Tarot (for my son). The oracles I have but haven't actually tried using yet are the John Waterhouse oracle and the Animal Druid Oracle. Those other tarot decks are pretty accurate too - just not like the Universal Rider one is. Just sorta strange and wondering if others have this experience? Oh and I tell everyone that's the deck they can't touch. ;) I read when I first got it that it shouldn't be touched by others so I've stuck to that rule with that deck. Not that others touch the other decks much either though.

Thanks!

Essence of Winter

A deck is ultimately a tool and if you get more accurate results with it the reason is that it is the best one for you so far. The fact that you have had it longest is significant in that I imagine you will be most comfortable and familiar with it.

Lerena

I have found that the more you work with a deck, the more familiar it is to you and as a result this familiarity helps with accuracy. If you aren't familiar with a deck, it won't speak to you as well, which will affect how "accurate" you think it is.

For example, I used to not use my Vision Quest deck, because I didn't understand how to use it, but recently I've found that it actually seems good for writing.

My Robin Wood deck, on the other hand, seems to work really well with me as it is and can handle all sorts of topics. It seems really connected to me. If I worked with my Vision Quest deck a lot more, I would develop a level of familiarity with it that allowed me to use it just as freely. But, I am rather attached to the Robin Wood deck. It works for me.

One deck seeming more accurate to you is probably due to how often you've used it compared to the other decks.

All in all, I think my post is just a longer version of what Winter said.

Alta

What Lerena and Winter said. My most reliable decks are the ones that feel the most familiar to me. That I have taken the time research (Thoth for example) or that the images just work for me (Robin Wood for one). I have several decks that feel like old friends, but that is simply familiarity and a slow build up of trust in myself with them.

danieljuk

I used to have one tarot deck, one oracle deck and one lenormand deck that were all my "go to" decks and I posted one day a few years ago that I thought they were more accurate. They would always give me the best results. Since then I have tried to mix this up a bit and I really believe now that it's how much time you spend with a deck and how much you get used to it and explore it! You really have to study a deck and give it a go and then you get better readings from it.

I am not sure I believe the idea that some decks are more accurate by some energy or power within them. I think it's all from us. However if we don't get on with a deck and don't like the art or it doesn't fit us (decks are so personal in their connection to us), then we will use it less and thus get worse readings from them ultimately. But if you do have a connection and love of a deck, it's possible through work with it to improve the accuracy :) :thumbsup:

Barleywine

I am not sure I believe the idea that some decks are more accurate by some energy or power within them. I think it's all from us.

That and the level of rapport we're able to achieve with the artist's vision. The more inspiring I find the imagery, the easier a deck is to absorb from an intuitive and imaginative standpoint, and the "better" I can read with it, producing more convincing results.

Virgo26

I think I'm with Barleywine as well. I've only worked with 2 decks but even with something as basic as RWS, I find the brighter colours/images inspire a bit more intuition than say a bit more subdued Golden Tarot. But I guess one might be better for more reflective questions and the other for inspiring stronger initial reactions...

But anyway, whatever works for you whether it's image or familiarity or something else. Other decks may be accurate as well but if you're not able to connect with it it won't make sense.

Padma

I agree with Barleywine, as well as the other posters, too. I have some decks that inspire little more than the learned meaning of the card in me, the art fails to trigger anything deeper, and other decks where I could write a 2 page reading based on one card only.

Experience with a deck helps as well, as had been said several times.

For the record, I have one deck that I use for public readings, and everyone has touched it, and it still works just fine :)

gregory

If you feel comfortable with it - reading will flow better and so it will at the very least FEEL more accurate. Others may actually do as well - but it will take you longer to see that.

tarotbear

I read when I first got it that it shouldn't be touched by others so I've stuck to that rule with that deck. Not that others touch the other decks much either though.

Hi~! That is an old Tarot Myth that no one should touch your deck ... how are they supposed to shuffle it? Osmosis? LOL!

It may not be that one deck is more accurate than another - it is more about how the artwork resonates with you; it can also be that a particular deck's artwork may be more 'in line' with the question that was asked and more information is forthcoming because of the freedom of association. In truth - any Tarot deck can answer any question. Do I want to do a reading for a little old lady that wants to know about her grandson's health by using the 'Dirty-Filthy-Sex-Laden-Imagery Tarot?' - of course not. Would you want to use the 'Hello, Kitty Tarot' to read for someone who is the victim of spousal abuse? Of course not, either. How the images in a deck connect to your brain and understanding is what 'makes a deck accurate.'

Your mileage may vary ....