The Book of the Law Study Group 2.7

thorhammer

Nice post, thankyou :) That brings us back to Hadit being the one that goes, so the male principle "goes" = is active. So the verse, in saying that "Come unto me" is absurd, is saying that all one needs to do is be receptive ;) and Hadit will go in the direction of receptivity.

I don't feel so lost in this chapter after all. I thought I was gonna have to bow out for a few verses there . . .

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

It has been intrestering for me to view the "cube of space" as the Tree of Life seen here, about three quaters down this page.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...ube+of+space+thelema&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Kat said:
The idea of Hadit as "the one who goes" is a frighteningly tenuous thing to me. He is motion but with no origin or destination, no point of reference, no direction or objective or memory. But is this only in a vacuum? What about in the context of Hadit-within-Nuit?

It helps me to think of Hadit as LVX. There is a wonderful paragraph in Paul Foster Case's Occult Fundamentals and Spiritual Unfoldment. He quotes either Eliphas Levi or Louis Claude del St. Martian, I'm confused which one.

There exists a force in nature which is far more powerful than steam, by means of which a single man who can master it and knows how to direct it, might throw the world into a consfusion and transfer its face. It is diffused throught infity; it is the substnce of heaven and earth, for it is either fixed or volatile according to the degrees of its polarization. This agent is precisely what the medieval adepts call the First Matter of the Great Work. When it produces radiance it is called light. It is the substance and motion at one and at the same time; it is a fluid and a perpetual vibration. The will of intelligent beings acts directly upon this light, and by means thereof, upon all nature, which is made subject to the modifications of intelligence."

It also helps me to think about an atom. Or gas in an engine. I don't think Hadit is going to go all by himself. I think we make him go, or he helps us go or both.

This verse brings to mind The Chariot.

AW

Aeon418

“Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

Ankh - symbol of Life. Ankh - a sandal strap, the power to "go".

Magick Without Tears:
This is why the Ankh or "Key of Life" is a sandal-strap, borne in the hand of every God as a mark of his Godhead: a God is one who goes.

Note! Function. For now we see why Tao may also be translated "The Way"; for it is the motion of the structure that we observe. There is no Being apart from Going.

You are familiar with the Four Powers of the Sphinx, attributed by the Adepts of old time to their Four Elements. Air is to Know, Scire; Fire is to Will, Velle; Water is to Dare, Audere; and Earth is to Keep Silence, Tacere. But now that a fifth Element, spirit, is generally recognized in the Qabalah, I have deemed it proper to add a Fifth Power corresponding: to Go, Ire. (Book of Thoth, p. 275)

Then, as Spirit is the Origin, the Essence, and the Sum of the other four, so is to Go in relation to those powers. And to Go is the very meaning of the name God, as elsewhere shewn in these letters; hence the Egyptian Gods were signalized as such by their bearing the Ankh, which is a Sandal-strap, and in its form the Crux Ansata, the Rosy Cross, the means whereby we demonstrate the Godhead of our Nature. See then how sweetly each idea slides into the next! How right this is, that the Quintessence should be dynamic and not static! For if there were some form of Being separate from Going, it would necessarily be subject to decay; and, in any case, a thing impossible to apprehend, since apprehension is itself an Act, not an idea immobile which would be bound to change in the very moment of grasping it.
As a side note it should be pointed out that, from an initiatory perspective, we are approaching this study ass backwards. Chapter 3 comes first, then 2 and then 1.
You can't be Hadit until you have aquired the fifth power of the sphinx, Ire - the power to go. This is represented by the top point of the pentagram, the symbol of the Outer Order whose job was to perfect and equilibrate the four elements. This is exactly the same as the building of the pyramid. But you can't set the capstone on the summit until the four sides are built.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
It helps me to think of Hadit as LVX.
LVX is Light in Extension, but Hadit is not extended. It is the Khabs, the House of Hadit, that shines outward with the light of LVX.

The projected light is what we call the HGA. It is the light which leads us towards Tiphareth and the acquisition of the fifth power of the sphinx, the power to go within the body of Nuit.

This is why RHK is the visible object of worship. He is the symbol of your own "power to go". This is why we start with RHK/solar worship with rites like Liber Resh. RHK leads you to Tiphareth and Ire, but once there the next target is Binah/Babalon/Nuit.

Aspire to the light of the Sun to become one with the Sun. But what happens to the light when you are the Sun?

Lore347

All this talk of the Cube of Space makes me remember how insane that thing drove me when I was studying the 4 translations of Sefer Yetzirah that I have....

Robert Wang's version differs from the ones presented in SY as well of course (which isn't a shock really).

Aeon418

The cube unfolded is a cross of 6 squares.
http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/ii/images/102_282c.jpg

Chapter 8 of Lon's Thoth book might come in handy at this point. ;)
And maybe even a peek at the RWS Atu VII The Chariot.

And 777 lovers might like to look up references to the cubic stone under the number 53 - ABN, Stone.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
LVX is Light in Extension, but Hadit is not extended. It is the Khabs, the House of Hadit, that shines outward with the light of LVX.
Oh shoot. For a minute I thought I had a grasp on that slippery little bugger. :laugh: It seems I can only get a grasp on what Hadit isn't. It seems Hadit is as incomprehensible as Nuit for he is as tiny and limited as she is large and possible. I realize I am stating the obvious here, but I guess I was thinking he was so tiny I could wrap my brain around him. :laugh: :|
I am back to Similia's question what is the "go" in Hadit then?
I am thinking of conception again and that saying "Back when you were just a spark is your Father's eye."

Aeon418 said:
The projected light is what we call the HGA. It is the light which leads us towards Tiphareth and the acquisition of the fifth power of the sphinx, the power to go within the body of Nuit.
This seems to describe The Hermit as well as The Chariot. For all this talk about go, go, go, it seems as if I am going to have to get still and meditate on them.

Aeon418 said:
This is why RHK is the visible object of worship. He is the symbol of your own "power to go". This is why we start with RHK/solar worship with rites like Liber Resh. RHK leads you to Tiphareth and Ire, but once there the next target is Binah/Babalon/Nuit.
I think I will go read Liber AL backwards.

Aeon418 said:
Aspire to the light of the Sun to become one with the Sun. But what happens to the light when you are the Sun?

I suspect this is a rhetorical question. But if you have found the words to answer it feel free to share. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
It seems Hadit is as incomprehensible as Nuit for he is as tiny and limited as she is large and possible.
The rational intellect just isn't equiped to understand the true nature of Nuit and Hadit. The best we can hope for is a superficial understanding that can act as a springboard for intuitive flashes of insight, while we work on expanding our consciousness.

Either that or you can try setting yourself up as a modern day Georg Cantor. :laugh:
Always Wondering said:
I think I will go read Liber AL backwards.
Similia will probably smack me round the head for taking this thread off topic, but here goes. })

The Gross must pass through fire. With your first steps on the Path you are declaring War on your elemental self. A self that has developed habitual patterns of thought and behaviour throughout your life will not take kindly to being told it has to march to the beat of a different drum. Prepare for battle! (See AL III:3. Also re-read Gunther, p.189-190)
The attitude you must take in this difficult work with the self is summed up in AL III:18. Also see AL III: 43-45, where the Scarlet Woman can be interpreted as the Nephesch - the animal soul - as it constantly seeks to follow it's old behaviour patterns. And who doesn't know when they're back-sliding? :laugh:

AL III:4-9 could be interpreted as the pentagram ritual that is both worship of RHK and the engine of war in the Battle of Conquest over the self.
http://thelemicgoldendawn.net/documents/warrior.htm

AL III:38 Liber Resh. Sun = RHK = HGA. All the gods of Resh, and indeed all other gods, are symbols of your Angel, the Solar Self, the Christ.

Only when there is no more "division hither homeward" and your Word is known will attain the reward of RHK. ;)

Of course your HGA might not have a beak. :laugh: But the symbolism of RHK is there to get you started. But as you continue in the work it may change into something far more personal to you.
I suspect this is a rhetorical question. But if you have found the words to answer it feel free to share. :laugh:
The focus of worship up to Tiphareth is Solar. But once you attain Tiphareth you become the source of that light yourself and shine outward just like all the other stars in the darkness of Infinite Space - Nuit.

ravenest

Always Wondering said:
I am back to Similia's question what is the "go" in Hadit then?

Aeon has hinted at it with the sandel strap reference. The ank, the power of go-in. The 'real' gods are not just static but active and dynamic ... as Andahadna wrote in the Book of the Feather (Maat Magick); the god-force is in the going ... not in the being. The being or the be-ing, to be - to exist, a state of bliss perhaps, of perpetual stability. Many systems have concieved of god as pure being. But the 'god-force' is always moving, always evolving (to further perfection ;) ). For me 'god' is 'evolution' (or whatever the constant and organising force behind evolution). God, the spirit,the inner self must always be going, not sitting still being.

Always Wondering said:
I am thinking of conception again and that saying "Back when you were just a spark is your Father's eye."
AW

There is a concept in old kabalah (? I think its called something like the Hammnemut ?) wich describes this state of existence ... ie. that part of the soul that exisists before personal incarnation ... so you were there before the twinkle in your dads eye

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
All the gods of Resh, and indeed all other gods, are symbols of your Angel, the Solar Self, the Christ.

I feel rather silly. :| I recently read a comparison of some life events of Horus and Jesus http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5b.htm. I suppose my Christian upbringing, though rejected long ago, left me holding Christ completely divorced from myself and HGA. It rather feels like a huge practical joke on myself. :laugh:

ravenest said:
God, the spirit,the inner self must always be going, not sitting still being.

Thanks ravenest. I think I have confused this idea with the idea of non-action. It's still settling in but I can now see a difference between non-action to outer stimulus, vs the going of the inner self.

Don't mind me, I am just catching up.
Reading Liber AL backward isn't as easy as it sounded, by the way. Chapter three is confusing. :laugh: Maybe I'll wait for y'all. ;)

AW