3 of Swords - and sex!

starrystarrynight

I may suggest that something is festering in the sexual end of the relationship--something that they need to communicate about or it will only get worse.

firemaiden

...penetration.

YDM42

I have seen it come up as saddness or disapointment in the prospect of a sexual relationship or act.
It took me a while to figure it out- because is associated so much with cheating,(three people) but mostly it came up with single friends who wanted to know about the likelihood of it occuring.

tabi said:
I always found it to mean lonely or deseprate....with some isolation because of pain

YDM42

Wonderful, not that you've said that...I recall a situation where the two swords where blocking the one sword from ---- ok...let me stop, my imagination is running off course. :)
Maybe it could mean lack of penetration, sexual dysfunction or even other things getting in the way of penetration.

firemaiden said:
...penetration.

Grizabella

The first thing that came to my mind was "vagina dentata". Rather than type out a long post explaining this, I went and looked up a website, so here's the link:

http://www.goddesscafe.com/yoni/dentata.html

Basically, it's a man's fear of sex. The article the link connects to explains it. It doesn't mean the man can't have sex, but just that he's got some deep insecurities about it for any of many reasons, and the term for it is called "vagina dentata", or "vagina with teeth".

Maybe there's an element of this in their relationship.

The second thing that came to mind was, as another poster said, infidelity or the woman having had or still having other sexual partners. I guess it might mean the man has had other sexual partners, on the other hand, probably same sex since the sword is a phallic symbol.

YDM42

Bisexuality?
Ok, I know and respect this is a difficult subject matter many percieve it as a private matter and relate it to some higher ethic. But this is difficult time for some cultures- with the onset of such terms as metro-sexual and down-low men - and how that relates to the aids epidemic, heat ache and pain. I want to note that while I respect the privacy of others sexuality, when there is deception- or some sexual practice or secret, this become relevant. I have not been able to discern such things with the cards, if I have I have not been able to recognize it. So this discussion is intresting.

Lyric said:
The first thing that came to my mind was "vagina dentata". Rather than type out a long post explaining this, I went and looked up a website, so here's the link:

http://www.goddesscafe.com/yoni/dentata.html

Basically, it's a man's fear of sex. The article the link connects to explains it. It doesn't mean the man can't have sex, but just that he's got some deep insecurities about it for any of many reasons, and the term for it is called "vagina dentata", or "vagina with teeth".

Maybe there's an element of this in their relationship.

The second thing that came to mind was, as another poster said, infidelity or the woman having had or still having other sexual partners. I guess it might mean the man has had other sexual partners, on the other hand, probably same sex since the sword is a phallic symbol.

Phoenix Rising

3 to tango..perhaps..maybe they think of other people while doing it. Or they into the whole dominatrix thing..whips and chains ala!! :devil:

Grizabella

I don't look for sexual orientation in the cards normally. What I said was a passing thought because I guess it could mean bisexual activity too. But I keep it at the level of a passing thought and would never read it that way out loud to a querent. There are lots of things that card could mean in a reading.

I don't believe it's a good idea to read cards for someone and to suggest that their partner is unfaithful no matter which sex it's with. Nor to suggest that their heterosexual partner might be gay or bi. For my personal code of ethics, I don't go there. Every reader can misinterpret the cards at one time or another, and I wouldn't want to be wrong on such a deeply personal and devastating level for someone who comes to me trustingly seeking a tarot reading.

Probably the only exception to my rule would be if I actually saw their partner engaged in sex with someone else and then the cards showed it in a reading for them, too. I'd be torn even then. I'd have to weigh it on a case-by-case basis.

YDM42

So do you think that if all the other cards came up positive it is better to focus on those and keep those at the forefront.
On many levels, I agree with you. I can not honestly say that anything is all bad or all good. Even a cheating spouse is providing something of value to the relationship and the cheating is merely a sympthom of something that may or many not be able to be fixed if the two so desire.

Grizabella

Well, I'd keep to whatever the other cards in the reading were saying and I wouldn't suggest, even if it crossed my mind, that there was infidelity or bisexuality or anything like that.

If point blank asked by the querent if those things were going on, I'd not say "Oh yeah, I did see that in the cards but didn't want to say anything". I'd just point to the cards that MIGHT indicate these things, but I'd be careful to say that even though these cards might possibly suggest something like that, that a tarot card reading isn't the venue for drawing those conclusions and then I'd point out a few other things those cards could also mean that wouldn't point to infidelity or bisexuality or whatever. That would leave the querent to make up their own minds without me, the reader, having planted a stick of dynamite in their relationship when it could very well be wrong.