Your Spread Habits?

Enriana

I did a quick search to see if this has been mentioned lately, but didn't see anything - if I missed something, though, feel free to point me in the right direction. :)

I've been trying to add more spreads to my mental repertoire, browsing the lovely spread index and looking through my numerous books on spreads. All of this pondering spreads made me think of a few questions to pose here.

Do you keep a lot of spreads in your head, or do you refer to an outside source (notebook, website, spreadsheet, etc)? Do you have a bunch of general spreads that you tailor to a situation, or a few spreads for each general category (relationships, work, self-exploration, etc) that you pick and choose from? Do you have a specific "go-to" spread, or do you try to use as many different spreads as possible? Do you prefer to stick with spreads you already know super well, or do you like to learn/try as many new ones as you can?

To answer my own questions myself: I tend to refer to books or the spread index when finding a spread. I know a couple by heart - Mind/Body/Spirit, an elemental spread, the Celtic Cross - but not many, though I wish I knew more and am trying to memorize a few more for when I don't have a book/computer available. I prefer to tailor general spreads to a specific situation, question, or area of interest.

My "go-to" spread would probably be the Celtic Cross, mostly because I've used it so many times I never freeze up and blank on the positions. I love learning new spreads, but I find nerves hinder my using them often - I like to know a spread super well, but I'm not great at devoting a good bit of time getting to know it.

AJ

for those of us that like to use spreads, the collection in the spreads index is one of the jewels of the forum.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=31867

When I see one I think has merit I put it on a index card
I keep the cards in a box a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes
I go through it about once a year and fling the ones I haven't used much.

I don't Always use a spread, but mostly of the time I do.
I wonder what the record is for using the word spread in a post?

I have some 3-carders in my head but my head is too full to hold 4+ spreads...
I've only done one Celtic Cross. I just don't care for it.

Attachments

• spread stash 001.JPG
    spread stash 001.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 125

caridwen

If I see one more thread with three cards and no spread positions from a beginner I may gouge out my eyes:bugeyed:

I use the Celtic Cross all the time. It isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's mine:D
http://www.learntarot.com/ccross.htm

Another good one is the Horseshoe - it's a very good all rounder.
http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~mun_hon/tarot/horshoe.htm

I'll throw in one of my own spreads that you may find useful - just to be cheeky:D
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=160453&highlight=crows+eye

The Yin/Yang Spread is always a good one for relationships although it is a bit long
http://www.learntarot.com/yinyang.htm

caridwen

Thanks Caridwen, I especially like the looks of the Crow's Eye. I'm going to try it right now.

That is proving to be a very popular spread. It's being used (as far as I'm aware) in next year's Tarot Calendar as well. Let me know how you get on:D :thumbsup:

Bhavana

I tend to use the same spreads over and over, and did originally keep a notebook both with them and others that I had collected. Now I have the ones I use most frequently in my head, so I don't refer to the book much. Occasionally I try something new.

Chiriku

I have been composing my own spreads for years and they constitute the bulk of my readings. I enjoy perusing this forum and index, but only to glean supplemental/special treat spreads or to provide inspiration.

When I compose a spread, it is almost always as I am sitting down to do the reading; I do not often compose spreads and archive them ahead of time. I compose the spread by writing down a list of questions that I want answers to; each question is a position in the spread. Then I just decide on a layout/shape, which doesn't take much time, because I am not all that big on having layouts that form clever shapes or so forth.

Last year I tried to experiment with non-positional readings (meaning you just lay down some cards without assigning their position a set meaning and read them as a narrative or however you feel called to). I came of age in tarot at a time (late 90s) when spreads were all the rage and the bookshelves were filled with book after book of spreads; although by last year, I had long since stopped using other people's pre-composed spreads, I wanted to try to stretch my intuitive muscles and learn to read without positions at all.

I didn't get too far with that although I will probably start up experimenting with it again soon. But spreads continue to interest me and I will continue to read the creative ones here on AT, even if only for enjoyment and inspiration.

Miss Divine

If I see one more thread with three cards and no spread positions from a beginner I may gouge out my eyes:bugeyed:

I know what ya mean!

~~~

I (almost) always use spreads. I have a little notebook with my favorite spreads I've collected over the past years. I prefer not to use very large spreads. I used to hate it when my friends would ask me to do a Celtic Cross spread. It would feel so daunting. Now it's a spread I've learned to like, (because I've had to do them so much I guess :D).

When I read for myself I often don't use a spread, but I just ask a question and pull a card. Then I ask another question and pull another card, etc.

KMilliron

Do you keep a lot of spreads in your head, or do you refer to an outside source (notebook, website, spreadsheet, etc)?
I have a couple in my head, but I want to make a collection of spreads in .txt format to put on my Kindle so I can take them with me.
Do you have a bunch of general spreads that you tailor to a situation, or a few spreads for each general category (relationships, work, self-exploration, etc) that you pick and choose from?
All of the above? A couple remembered on for each category, and then I'm a fan of three cards no positions.
Do you have a specific "go-to" spread, or do you try to use as many different spreads as possible?
I like variety, but I usually make my own to achieve that variety rather than search and search for one. There are some great ones out there that I use quite often though.
Do you prefer to stick with spreads you already know super well, or do you like to learn/try as many new ones as you can?
I like learning and writing.

As for celtic cross, I actually like that spread, but sometimes I tweak it. Like cards for distant past, distant future, and three advice cards.... things like that.

Amanda

Do you keep a lot of spreads in your head, or do you refer to an outside source (notebook, website, spreadsheet, etc)?

No. Mainly the more traditional ones (that I barely use by the way) are stuck in my head. LOL I tend to draw 3-5 cards free-flow to read. But I did start a journal just to record and collect spreads I randomly come across that give me that feeling of, "Oh, this is one for the journal!" Mostly, they seem to be love or life path (understanding yourself) spreads. Because I tend to read on love a lot for other people, and am interested in my own life path stuff.

Do you have a bunch of general spreads that you tailor to a situation, or a few spreads for each general category (relationships, work, self-exploration, etc) that you pick and choose from?

I like a Horseshoe spread for general stuff, or the spread that comes in the back of the DruidCraft. Those are 7 and 6 cards each, respectively. I rarely use a CC, I think because I'm lazy. LOL I generally don't do any tailoring though. It's much easier for me to find something general that works... and I get a little bit happier if I can do that as well- less work for me. :D

Do you have a specific "go-to" spread, or do you try to use as many different spreads as possible?

My "go-to" is just drawing 3-5 cards and reading the energies presented there. I like the freedom it gives. But I like to use spreads sometimes too, if I'd like to have more specific detail (it seems). No matter what, I'm looking at the larger picture, whether it's free-flow cards or cards in a spread. So, if I'm feeling that a subject would be better addressed by containing it to a spread, I will go in search of one that seems to fit perfectly to the question being asked, or I will simplify the details by using a general spread and let the cards speak out more. (If that makes sense).

Do you prefer to stick with spreads you already know super well, or do you like to learn/try as many new ones as you can?

That's about even for me. I do like to try new spreads, but that only seems to happen if they come into my awareness (a new post in this forum) or I'm looking some other one. :D I typically don't just get an urge that says, "Hey I'd really like to try a new spread today." No.. lol. It's more of a, "Oh, new spread, that looks interesting, I'll have to try it!"

I have created... 3 spreads I think. And they've barely been used. But that's okay, not exactly my cup of tea. :)