Sheridan-Douglas Tarot: new printing

Antonius

Fulgour said:
:) "How to Consult The I Ching" by Alfred Douglas
is also (dramatically) illustrated by David Sheridan.

In fact the dedication of the book says:
To Jo Sheridan

I remember that book "How to Consult The I Ching"..but i dont know what happened to my copy i must have lost it,
Is it still available today??
Il have to get it again, was a great book and so much easier to understand than some of the book of Changes around back then.

Thanks for reminding me.....the search is on.

Alfred Douglas

Relaunch delay

The relaunch of our Sheridan Douglas Tarot is going to be delayed by a further month or so, and we are now looking to take delivery in early July.

Apologies to all who have pre-ordered; we believe you will find the wait worthwhile. The few people who have seen advance copies have described the deck as 'wonderful', so we don't think you will be disappointed.

Alfred Douglas

Bingo!

References in this thread to the cute dog curled up by his master on the Seven of Coins, set me thinking. So I delved into some family history.

I remembered David Sheridan telling me that when he was a boy he had a dog that he was very fond of. I just phoned David's brother, who confirmed this and told me that the dog had been a Manchester Terrier.

I Googled 'Manchester Terrier' and came up with various dog sites with pictures of the breed. Comparing these with the drawing in the Seven of Coins, I am sure it is the same dog.

So, if anyone asks you what kind of dog is depicted in the Seven of Coins. you can confidently say it is a Manchester Terrier, and you even know his name. He was called 'Bingo'.

So is the young man snoozing, a self-portrait by the artist? David had a habit of working late into the night then sleeping in the daytime, so it is quite possible. Certainly his mother had difficulty rousing him when there were chores to be done, which ties in quite neatly with the symbolism of the card.

(Do tell me if you get tired of this trivia...)

jackdaw*

Tired of it? Not at all! That's what I love about hearing from Tarot creators on this forum - the personal stories behind the cards - what images were used, why, all the trivia adds to the depth of the card's meaning, and often clarifies a symbol or image that wasn't immediately clear to me. Please tell us more!

lark

Alfred Douglas said:
(Do tell me if you get tired of this trivia...)
Oh we will NEVER get bored let me assure you.
I can't tell you what a treat it is to hear all the little stories that go along with the pictures and thoughts behind the creation of a deck.
Once the people involved are gone the sweet details are lost forever...that we had the opportunity to pick Pixie Smiths brain now...hey!
But thank you so much for taking the time to tell us these things.
I don't have the deck yet I'm on the wait list at Tarot Garden, but I will have many things to ask when I get it in my hands.
And no worry about the wait time ...some of us have waited a year or more for a deck to be released ...two months is a walk in the park.
Gives me something to look forward to...a new deck...my back porch rocking chair, and a lazy July day...heaven. :)

Antonius

Well that is most interesting,i am sat here with the Sheridan deck in front of me now it really is a wonderful deck.
Please could you tell me if the reprint will have the deep purple backs and will they all be the same shade of colour?throughout?
im sure nobody here gets bored of this trivia,its all fascinating (well it is to me anyway).
I just wish i had bought the deck back in the 70s ....£5.50 ..can you believe that.
It cost me a small fortune but.....it was worth it.

baba-prague

I fondly imagine drawing that card in a spread and being able to say, "Ah, Bingo!" and having a very querilous querent indeed :)

Alfred Douglas

£5.50?

£5.50 in the 1970s, Antonius? That must have been the late 70s.

In 1974 we got some wonderful free publicity when the TV listings magazine, 'TV Times', asked if they could use our Tarot to illustrate a new drama series about a psychic detective (played by the actress Anouska Hempel, later proprietor of the Hempel Hotel in central London - more trivia). Of course they pleaded poverty and said they couldn't afford to pay us a fee, so we agreed they could use the cards if they gave us a free plug. When the magazine came out, it had a double page spread featuring our cards in glorious colour, and a box giving the address where readers could purchase a deck. For £2.70 including post and packing. (Two pages of paid advertising in TV Times, which had a massive circulation at that time, would have cost thousands).

The orders flooded in, and we found ourselves spending all day packing decks into Jiffy bags, addressing the bags, then putting them in mail sacks. Around midnight I would haul the sacks into the back of my car and drive to the all night Post Office in Trafalgar Square and shovel them over the counter to be stamped.

We sold around 2,000 decks in a fortnight, and that paid for the next print run.

Happy days...

Antonius

Well while on the subject of the price of Tarot cards from the 70s,I have just been looking through my collection of old occult magazines,and in issue 10 of the Fate and Fortune mag is an advert for Crowleys Thoth deck and as the pic shows in mag it is the first edition deck without the patterned borders,it is priced at just £4.99.wow!
This magazine ran for 15 issues and was published by Marshall Cavendish ltd,58 old Compton Street London.1974
The monthly magazines were a real gold mine of information on all subjects of occult,witchcraft,Tarot,Alchemy,Palmistry,ect..ect.
There are some great articles on Tarot,although i could only find just one illustration of the Sheridan deck(the Fool). i have every issue except for issue 2,so if anybody can locate issue 2 for me ?? i could complete my collection.
I often look through these mags and just to set the mood play Mike Olfields Tubular Bells as i do so.(strange but relaxing).actually.....thats it........the photo on the back of Alfred Douglas The Tarot.....he looks just like Mike Oldfield..LOL