Sheridan-Douglas deck?

Cassandra022

So it's been a few years since the reprint of this came out. It's still available on tarot garden and i am eyeing it with increasing interest since the deck came to my attention a little while ago. Would like to hear thoughts of people who have had it for a while. How does it read for you? Is this a regular working deck for anyone? Anyone have any particularly strong sentiments to express about it? How's the size/cardstock? How do you feel about all those primary colors?

gregory

I like the primary colours just fine. And everything is delightfully clear, which makes it easy to read with, and everything that "ought to be there" IS there :D. It isn't my regular working deck, but when I have used it it has read well for me.

The card stock is VERY thick (and also very shiny) and can bend more easily than the sloppy user might wish (then again, can't everything !) Some like that, some don't. As it was one of my earliest decks, I have a soft spot no matter what the stock is like. One particularly good thing is that the book that Alfred Douglas wrote, the book that the deck was first designed for, is still easy to get (it too was reprinted) - it is the first book I ever read about tarot and is very good stuff.

nisaba

I fell in love with this deck easily twenty-five or thirty years before I owned it, because I had Alfred Douglas' book on Tarot for all that time, which was illustrated with black and white images drawn from this deck. I had no idea of the colours before I bought it, and found them a bit challenging until I got used to it and fell in love again.

The colours are not shaded at all, producing a surreal flat effect which I rather like, but I can see why it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people.

The cardstock is really, really stuff, and highly, highly laminated with a glass-like laminate: the deck is, as a result, much thicker than most other decks, and the edges are very sharp. Don't let babies chew on it. Honestly, you could chop raw vegetables with its edges. The up-side of that, of course, is that if the cops raid my house and I reflexively flush it down the loo, it won't be damaged. In fact, it could probably withstand a moderately small thermonuclear explosion.

You're either going to love this deck or hate it. No one feels neutral. Due to my history with the black and white images in the book, after the initial shock I was damnably certain I was going to love it, and I certainly do. After all, how could I *not* love a deck whose accompanying book put my feet on the road to Tarot?

gregory

I believe JD's baby DID chew on it and survived. And now, at age 3, has a deck of her own :)

jackdaw*

Yeah, the edges aren't THAT sharp. And the bright colours enthralled her, and the finish withstood drool. :laugh:

strings of life

This is one of my favorite decks (even though I didn't list it in my favorites), and yes, I read with it pretty regularly. I love the line art, bold colors and it has a '70s feel to it. My other favorite deck is the Hoi Polloi, go figure ;).

I use color interpretations a lot in my readings and this deck is great for that; bold primary and secondary colors are used and the results are vibrant and lively.

Card stock? Well you already read about it. I'm not usually a fan of super laminated decks, but it works with this deck (the reprint of courses).

Posting via iPhone now and on my way to work, but I'll grab the deck out tonight and can post some opinions about my favorite cards.

Cassandra022, we like a lot of the same decks...

<~ hugs her Nusantara

Get this deck. You will love it.

strings of life

Now the book, I don't have. Perhaps I should get it!

Sulis

I wanted this deck for years and years but couldn't afford the silly prices that it used to sell for. Thank goodness that Alfred Douglas decided to reprint in 2006. Now I have it and love it. It's a sort of mixture of RWS and TdM imagery which I think works really well.
Don't like the lamination but I live with it because I love the deck so much.. It's very readable but it's very thick and brick-like, by far the thickest deck I own.
I really do have a thing about decks from the 60s and 70s though. I love the Hoi Polloi and the Morgan Greer too.

Wendywu

I really, really want the deck as a black and white line drawing set of cards - exactly as in the book ...... I so wish that was available to buy :)