Tarot-esque works of art?

Tanga

That's a thought-provoking one, Tanga. Enlightenment, rather than a lantern...? :)

You've reminded me of the cover image on Liz Greene's 'Saturn':
https://books.google.ru/books?id=nR...over&hl=ru&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

...ETA: Actually this leads to rather interesting thoughts comparing the Devil and the Hermit!

Yes.
And Baba Yaga - what a perfect hermit!

And I equally love Rousseau's "Sleeping Gypsy" as the Strength card.

Hmmm - that lion is well passed tamed. Looks like he's about to weep for her being "away".

I have always *loved* Nicholas Roerich's "Mother of the World" as an interpretation of The High Priestess.

Don't like this one - but I do like that there are loads of other Priestesses just like her floating around in myriads of other bubbles.

Dare I suggest WJ Waterhouse's "Circe poisoning the Sea" (who's name is Glaucus) as
The Priestess (Lol - I did warn you! This is one of my favourite Waterhouse's).

MandMaud

Sorry, folks, I sort of dropped this thread after starting it! What a great lot of suggestions. Most of them I've saved to be wallpaper (my wallpaper is a random display of My Pictures).

@ Madrigal, I love that Sleeping Gypsy for Strength.
@ Tanga, funny how people see something different - I thought the lion was nosing around for something to eat (influenced possibly by my dog doing that very thing!), and interpreted the strength aspect as the gypsy's nonchalance, being able to sleep unconcerned whether wild animals were going to come along. No agoraphobia either. ;)

@ Nemia, I ought to look at Vermeer more - one of my very favourite painters but I don't know many of his works. This one is good for Justice.

Reminded me of his 'Officer and Laughing Girl' http://img.blog.163.com/photo/1DAZE5J68m2ZeCW__RrkFA==/5665246856255561231.jpg which I love for the girl's expression, and the way the scene's heavy with suggestion(s). I want a card for this picture... maybe the 2 of Wands?

@ Farzon, I simply love 'Mein Vater im Winter'. I didn't know this artist. This is a perfect Hermit. I'm going to seek out more Brauer now - thank you. :)

@ Tanga, re Baba Yaga, the oddest thing is that I've been researching Baba Yaga just this last few days. Got a sudden passion to relate her to Kali, Lilith, whatever else I could. I see why you say the Hermit, but personally I'd associate her with the Empress - she brings life and brings death, and is associated with mother and children... :?: :)
ETA: Baba Yaga: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jkVn0iK4EOw/StiBE6xVoCI/AAAAAAAAA4c/9tt1VXS1-cI/s400/image.jpg

And 'Circe poisoning the Sea'; if she wasn't so malicious, I'd say Temperance but... maybe not!

@ Laura B, that Magician is wonderful. It contains the four elements, too - though I doubt we'd all agree which object(s) represent which element. ;) Varo is new to me and is another I'm going to have to seek out - quite captivating.

Madrigal

@ Madrigal, I love that Sleeping Gypsy for Strength.
@ Tanga, funny how people see something different - I thought the lion was nosing around for something to eat (influenced possibly by my dog doing that very thing!), and interpreted the strength aspect as the gypsy's nonchalance, being able to sleep unconcerned whether wild animals were going to come along. No agoraphobia either. ;)

Yes, this is along the lines of how I interpret it, too. The element of trust is so fluid and established between the two of them that they are free to be their essential selves. The lion's eye and tail are just wild enough to allow me to believe in his un-tame nature having been harnessed by the gypsy who sleeps, no less, with him nearby.

Below is an interesting though more oblique depiction of the Strength card. For me it speaks more to the inner embodiment of Key 8. It's by Kinuko Craft.

Elven

Someone linked to the highly literal tarot meanings on this site (and already I can't remember which thread that was or who); I stayed exploring for a bit and found this. Perhaps because I was in tarot mode, but my first thought was the Nine of Pentacles: http://the-toast.net/2015/02/11/happiest-woman-world-looks-like/

Any other paintings that fit a card really well? This is another fun way to play with interpretations, like picking the card that sums up a fictional character, etc. But I'm pretty ignorant on art, even though I love it. :D

These may not look like paintings, but they are... this is Patrick Woodroffe's art.
It was a couple of years back that I emailed him (prompted by something we were doing here on AT) to ask him if her ever considered doing a Tarot deck. He was nice enough to reply - but he said no, he wasn't doing one. He passed away on the 10th of May 2014. I still see Tarot cards in his art - even if he never did a deck.

The Page of Cups

The Moon

The King of Pentacles

The Tower

The Sun

RIP Patrick Woodroffe :heart:

MandMaud

Yes, this is along the lines of how I interpret it, too. The element of trust is so fluid and established between the two of them that they are free to be their essential selves. The lion's eye and tail are just wild enough to allow me to believe in his un-tame nature having been harnessed by the gypsy who sleeps, no less, with him nearby.

Below is an interesting though more oblique depiction of the Strength card. For me it speaks more to the inner embodiment of Key 8. It's by Kinuko Craft.

Subtle - and it works. I still prefer the other one for looking at, but only just :) and this one maybe for thinking about. Luckily art isn't about win/lose decisions!

Is this Angharad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angharad ?
I need to know more Celtic myth.

These may not look like paintings, but they are... this is Patrick Woodroffe's art.
It was a couple of years back that I emailed him (prompted by something we were doing here on AT) to ask him if her ever considered doing a Tarot deck. He was nice enough to reply - but he said no, he wasn't doing one. He passed away on the 10th of May 2014. I still see Tarot cards in his art - even if he never did a deck.

The Page of Cups

The Moon

The King of Pentacles

The Tower

The Sun

RIP Patrick Woodroffe :heart:

These are great! Another artist new to me - another thank you. And yes, they could all have been conceived as pure tarot. Extraordinary when you think that they weren't. What a mind.

ETA: I can see a face in the Tower, at the top just below that tree. In the rock, like those faces you can make out in tree trunks (or old wallpaper patterns ;)).

And I wish that King of Pents didn't look quite so much like Richard Branson! :laugh: Although when you think about it, Branson could almost be a King of Pents himself... no, more King of Swords and/or Wands, methinx. :)

MandMaud

Great thread, MandMaud!

What about this for the Empress? She's who I thought of when I first looked at the painting. It's from Robert Braithwaite Martineau - A Woman Of San Germano. (Renaissance Italy)

http://www.culture24.org.uk/asset_arena/4/66/80/308664/v0_master.jpg

Oh, that's just my kind of painting. It's rich warm, and so sensual! I can feel that baby's little hand in mine and the weight of him on my lap, and I can smell his skin. :heart: The Empress, yes - except that this woman looks not exactly full of the joys of life. Not unhappy, but not feeling the delight right at this moment. Or am I misreading her expression?