OOP decks.

Libra 58

How can you find out if a deck is going to be OOP? Is there any lists or something else to look for?

RunningWild

I imagine that nearly everything eventually goes out of print. Are you thinking of buying a deck in hopes that it will become OOP?

rwcarter

Occasionally a publisher will list what decks will no longer be printed, but that's the rare exception to the rule. Depending on the deck, it may still be available long after it's no longer being printed.

Libra 58

I imagine that nearly everything eventually goes out of print. Are you thinking of buying a deck in hopes that it will become OOP?

No, it´s that I would like to know in advance so I don´t have to "panic" buy a deck when I read here in Aeclectic that a deck has gone oop. I don´t know where to look for information about this! Recently I read that "Vanessa Tarot" was going to be oop so I bought it as fast as i could. Yesterday I found out that "Gaia Tarot" was oop, so now I have ordered it too.

AJ

quite a few members have paid hard earned dollars for an out of print or very hard to find deck only to find it republished down the road a few years. Disappointing but it happens. Whimsical and Chinese come to mind.

in other words, ain't no telling. If you see something you like and can afford it get it.
If it isn't true love you can always resell in the subscribers trading forum here.

UrbanBramble

In my experience unless something has been OOP for years and has held its value, don't assume it will stay OOP or valuable. I have decks that I bought years ago for quite a lot that I can't sell now unless I sell at a loss because they've been reprinted or people have lost interest.

Zephyros

It is also rare for a deck that goes out of print to become a "superstar" on the resale market. Most decks that go OOP do so because of a lack of interest and do not go up in value. Books go OOP, too, and today's bestseller is in the bargain bin tomorrow.

Sometimes a price is inflated artificially, as you can see with many "limited edition" decks showing up on eBay at exorbitant prices days after they are published. Even some new decks are published as limited editions merely as a marketing ploy.

Some decks go through a period of being worthless and years later suddenly become sought after. When I joined AT people were trying to get rid of their "greenie" Thoths, and today it is a collectors' item.

Good advice is to buy the decks you like and can afford. Did you buy the Vanessa or Gaia because you liked them or because they were going out of print?

tarotbear

Something goes OOP because the publisher has decided to drop it - for any number of reasons, and the most obvious is that the object isn't selling well enough to suit them anymore (why would you stop printing something that is a best seller and selling well)? Lack of interest, lack of sales, out-of-fashion or date - and too much unsold stock in the warehouse = OOP.

FLizarraga

And of course there's also the Greenwood --but that's a whole other can of worms entirely...

At least it can be safely assumed that it will never be reprinted, ever. A shame, but there you have it.

Libra 58

It is also rare for a deck that goes out of print to become a "superstar" on the resale market. Most decks that go OOP do so because of a lack of interest and do not go up in value. Books go OOP, too, and today's bestseller is in the bargain bin tomorrow.

Sometimes a price is inflated artificially, as you can see with many "limited edition" decks showing up on eBay at exorbitant prices days after they are published. Even some new decks are published as limited editions merely as a marketing ploy.

Some decks go through a period of being worthless and years later suddenly become sought after. When I joined AT people were trying to get rid of their "greenie" Thoths, and today it is a collectors' item.

Good advice is to buy the decks you like and can afford. Did you buy the Vanessa or Gaia because you liked them or because they were going out of print?

I bought them becuse I like the pictures I have seen on the cards, but I thought I wouldn´t have to buy them for many years to come!
There are so many decks that I would like to have, but also thought I could buy them in my own time and that the decks would be out there for many years to come!
But if I want them I have to buy them now and don´t wait to long!