Devil as Lesson?

.traveller.

Would the Devil as a lesson be about experiencing extremes? What does the Devil teach? If someone's reason in your life is to teach you about the Devil, what are they teaching you?
I've read every thread on the Devil that the search engine pulled up, and the key words that seem to crop up most often are obsession, sex, drugs, abuse, and control/lack of control. I can see those are the tools that the Devil is using to teach, but what is he teaching?

rwcarter

.traveller. said:
Would the Devil as a lesson be about experiencing extremes? What does the Devil teach? If someone's reason in your life is to teach you about the Devil, what are they teaching you?
I've read every thread on the Devil that the search engine pulled up, and the key words that seem to crop up most often are obsession, sex, drugs, abuse, and control/lack of control. I can see those are the tools that the Devil is using to teach, but what is he teaching?
That's a lot of different questions with a lot of different answers.

As a lesson, the Devil could be speaking to how easily it is to fall into a trap or downward spiral of addiction or obsession. It could also be speaking to the person who is addicted/obsessed to tell them that there is a way out and all they have to do is take the first step of removing the shackle that keeps them addicted/obsessed. (And that removing that shackle isn't as difficult as they think it is.)

What does the Devil teach? The need for restraint (both literally and figuratively, I guess ;)). As literal restraint, the Devil can teach you that you must face that which you fear in order to conquer that fear and be able to move on from it. As figurative restraint, the Devil can teach you that it's OK to indulge in a vice as long as you only do it occasionally. The Devil can teach a straitlaced person that it's OK to let loose every so often. It can also teach the person who is wild and unrestrained that they need to reign that behavior in before they go too far.

As for the control/lack of control aspect of the Devil, one way you can look at it is this - are you being controlled by your impulses (which would be the Devil in the image) or do you control them (in which case you'd be the Devil). Are the restraints placed on you against your will or do you willingly restrain yourself?

If X's purpose in your life is to teach you about the Devil, the answer lies not in X but in you. Are you a wild child? If so, then X's purpose is to teach you how to tone down that behavior through either showing you how not acting in that manner will benefit you or how acting in that manner to the nth degree will be to your detriment. Are you prim and proper? Do you always follow the rules? If so, then X's purpose is to teach you how to loosen up. Jay-walking or stealing office supplies or using illegal substances won't be the end of the world as long as you don't let that occasional behavior rule your life. (And I'm not advocating that anyone do any of those things. I'm just giving examples.)

And while the Devil may indicate experiencing extremes, the card could just as easily indicate experiencing something different (but not necessarily at the opposite extreme) than what one normally experiences.

Hopefully some of this is of use.

Rodney

.traveller.

Actually, that does help, especially relating the devil to restraint. I feel like I am getting closer to understanding. The Devil is one of those cards that I don't relate to very well, his lesson doesn't stick with me. He visits and then leaves, and I don't give him much thought until he visits again. Apparently, I am in someone's life to teach them about the Devil, but I am the most undevilish person you would likely meet.

BUT, if it is about the Devil in themselves (being their lesson) then I guess it makes sense. The lesson I was to learn was the HP which I totally got, having lived it. However, I've never "lived" the Devil, I just don't understand it.

starrystarrynight

One way I think of the Devil is as representing temptation. He dangles that carrot out in front of our noses, and it is up to us to resist it, if it isn't "good for us." So, maybe that's part of his lesson--determining what temptations are detrimental and finding ways to avoid those.

rwcarter

.traveller. said:
Apparently, I am in someone's life to teach them about the Devil, but I am the most undevilish person you would likely meet.

BUT, if it is about the Devil in themselves (being their lesson) then I guess it makes sense.
Are you a structured and organized type while the other person is unstructured and disorganized? Do you tow the line while they flit from place to place or thing to thing? Do you have a bright and cheery disposition while they're always negative and expect the worst out of life? Those are all rhetorical questions, but hopefully they'll give you further insight into how you could be in someone's life to teach them about the Devil - more about using the antithesis of the Devil as a means of showing them the Devil within themselves, if that makes sense.

Rodney

.traveller.

rwcarter said:
more about using the antithesis of the Devil as a means of showing them the Devil within themselves, if that makes sense.

Rodney

Beautiful! That makes complete sense, and also explains why I am so incredibly unpopular with this person :p :laugh:

Starry- There's definitely a temptation/ can't have dynamic involved somehow, but I'm about as subtle as a chocolate lab puppy so the undercurrents are hard for me to understand.

rwcarter

.traveller. said:
Beautiful! That makes complete sense, and also explains why I am so incredibly unpopular with this person :p :laugh:
There is the school of thought that what one doesn't like in another person is just a reflection of some part of oneself that one is unhappy with. That seems to fit in this situation.

Glad I could help.

Rodney

balenciaga

I think the devil teaches: "watch out, you are on dangerous ground for-- take your pick, all the choices mentioned--especially when you think you are the one in control and you are not, you are actually "chained". This can be feeling as if one "has to" is "obligated to" as well.

Gypsyspell

Hi, I may be on my own here-generally am in the way i think! (still quite a popular reader nonetheless) I really like the Devil. I recently did a reading for a woman and the Devil featured strongly in her cards .
She has really been living in the past eg past disappointments etc.
I see the devil as temptation and breaking free of the shackles! The old conditioning that keeps one from moving forward in their lives. This particular person had done everything to be regarded as a nice self-sacrificing type of woman- and all it really earned her was a kick in the guts.
I like the cliche 'The devil made me do it !
I see him as proactive for change and getting out of a rut,and old conditioning . But thats me.

franniee

The devil is also about loosening control and letting it all hang out... sometimes we meet a devil just so that we can feel again.... so that we remember what life is all about! Sensation! Satiation! The devil is there for a reason... sometimes we need to get caught up in a whirlwind..... in a hurricane! Crazy is good sometimes! :heart: Sometimes you need to grab the carrot and get lost in it! When you come up for air it is with a different perspective..... not sure if I expressed this well but this is what I feel. :heart: Being very careful, guarded and controlled isn't the way to a full life.... losing it at times - live as though it is your last, dance as if no one is watching... I can't remember the rest of the quote but don't be concerned that people are watching or what you feel you "need" to project....